Power Seat Switch Works/Doesn't Work - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Interior

Interior Interior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:57 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Question Power Seat Switch Works/Doesn't Work

The Power Seat switch works fine to raise or lower the seat but often will not move the seat back and forth - front to rear or rear to front. It's intermittent so I don't want to chance it taking it to the dealer and having it work fine. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Did you figure anything out yet? I am having the same thing happen with my 04 Envoy, it just started today. I messed around a little bit with it tonight but I didn't get anywhere. My switch and motor both make noise but nothing is happening. Thanks
Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
If the motor whines and nothing moves then you have a mechanical problem. I can't imagine doing anything short of pulling the seat out and investigating the motors underneath.

On the intermittent electrical problem - do you have the memory seats, or is the problem just in using the manual control switch on the side of the seat?

Intermittent switches, especially ones that get salt, snow, and water splashed on them like the seat switches do, usually respond well to electronic cleaning spray. Take the switch cover off and spray into the guts while exercising the switch.

It isn't a problem with power or the circuit breaker since the up/down and fore/aft motors use the same power feed.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM

Same problem here on my 2005 Rainier. The first time it happened, I took it to the dealership and they said 800$ for a new motor. I said ok order the part. When i got into my car to leave the dealership, it worked again. So I called and cancelled the order. It worked for a couple weeks and then quit again. That is when I started playing around with the wire harness and tapping on the motor. Now this has been happening about every three weeks for the past 4 months. Each time I move the seat all the way up and then undo the wire harness and then put it back together. then it works again. i'd really like to be able to resolve this issue w/out paying $800. It wouldnt be such a big deal except my girlfriend usually drives this car. She is short and I am tall. CAN ANYBODY PLEASE HELP?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:38 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
If wiggling the harness gets it to come and go, you have a chance to troubleshoot it. But you have to have a meter and know how to use it. Find the exact wire involved by careful manipulation. Then get a needle and poke it through the insulation and measure the voltage. Move the wire so the motor fails to work, and poke the needle through various parts of the wire until you find a break or a bad crimp or an oxidized connector.

Yes it's tedious. But you can save $800. And maybe the problem is in your harness and not in the motor and then you'd have wasted $800. Geez - for under $500 on Ebay you can buy a PAIR of power seats and have a BUNCH of motors and switches to sell other people after you fix yours!
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I Win

So tonight I decided to take my driver's seat apart after finding out that a new seat frame would be close to $450 from the dealership and that was with me installing it. I got the bottom off after a little bit of wrestling my large hands into tight areas. With that out of place I was able to see if anything was caught in the track that would keep it from moving. I didn't see anything so as a last resort I got a long slotted/straight screwdriver out of my toolbox and slid it down the track underneath the the mechanism that locks the seat into position and something clicked a little and I tried moving the seat and it worked. I don't know if the seat went too far or it got misaligned. Hopefully if someone else has this problem they can try this before they take the seat all apart. If I would have known this I wouldn't have needed to take the seat apart... hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:23 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Follow up - The power seat switch does not initiate any noise from the motor when it doesn't work. All other switch functions always work, just the fore/aft movement is iffy!
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Smile Follow-up

It's working after using the screwdriver idea - wonderful engineering GM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:22 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleeb View Post
It's working after using the screwdriver idea - wonderful engineering GM.
I had the same problem actually, and have had it stuck for while and tried the exact same thing this weekend and it worked! Nothing like a little prying to get everything back working!
Old 03-14-2009, 02:13 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Screw Driver does the Trick

Thanks for the post . I had the same problem with my 2002 TB LTZ

Stuck a screw driver under both Silver tabs on the rail and she worked Great!

No if I can figure out why the heat doesn't work. Only the Back heat, not the Butt heat.

Hmmmmm..... Wonder why GM needs bailout money with such superb engineering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
seat, switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.