Onstar wiring diagram, specifically microphone - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Audio and Electronics

Audio and Electronics Discuss car audio, video, navigation, alarms, and other electronics here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:30 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Onstar wiring diagram, specifically microphone

So I am looking for the onstar wiring diagram on the box unit side of things and having a darn hard time coming up with anything. I am looking for the microphone wires in particular to I can throw a 3.5mm head on it and plug it into my computer to use for voice commands and handsfree.

Anyone know the information I need?

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2009, 04:06 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Mike signal's on pin 9, dark green. Mike low reference is pin 10, gray. They use a shielded pair grounded using a bare wire to the chassis, but I imagine it would work to pin 7 or 8, both black ground wires.

If the mike isn't the right kind to work with your computer, you might just replace it in the overhead console. Did you keep up your onstar subscription?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 04:17 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Onstar subscription?
This is my onstar box now. I just need that mic so I can get the handsfree on the computer to work. I hear that microphone works really well for the application

thanks for the info!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:25 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

well, so much for that, the volume is NOWHERE near the level it would need to be for pc input...

I wonder how others did it...

Anyways, thanks roadie.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Cherry Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Hello KHill,

Great work, as a computer tech myself, you have given me some more ideas. Ditto here with On* not required. New to this forum stuff, so forgive me if I am redundant here, but you may have seen the past posts, check out this http://www.costartech.com as their box may answer your question. 95% convinced I want to buy it to make use of my existing On* handsfree hardware and radio integration. With your setup, how do you have phone working? The two antenna coax cables that come down there for On* box, can you make use of them for something else? Assuming here XM radio service with the facotry radio has its own antenna feed? My thoughts are that those cables are one is for the mobile service and the other for On* GPS.

Regards, CCI_TBLT
Old 02-22-2009, 07:44 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
That's right. One is for GPS, the other is for Verizon digital cell.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:29 PM

Hello the roadie,

Thank you again. Here in Canada the On* is paired with Bell Mobility and the unit itself is built by LG. So in theory or the reality, KHill used the GPS On* antenna lead already there, for use in his computer NAV. And/or other possible satellite service like Sirus, assuming XM is alreadt live on the head unit? And the other coax for his Iphone.

Hello KHill, confirm when you can.

Regards, CCI_TBLT
Old 02-22-2009, 08:50 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Hey, its nice to finally run into another car computer enthusiast.

Anyways, for the phone, I didn't want to be paying for two cell bills every month, so whenever the computer is on it latches into my blackberry via bluetooth.

I have looked into the bluestar system, but I am sticking with the computer bluetooth because I use the pc more often for audio than the head unit so it wont mute. (and its 200 dollars for a system I already have semi working)

My gps, at the moment, is fed from a puck mounted on the dash. While others would want this to be hidden, this little thing gets GREAT reception, even in downtown Portland among the tall buildings and bridges. Now the gps cable form the onstar box CAN be used for an aftermarket gps unit, it would require me to scrap up a perfectly good unit to try and solder a thick coax onto. My sharkfin antenna sits unused as of today, possible change in the future.

My TB didn't come with XM and I wouldn't use it anyways because I have 80GB of music on my computer. If I was going to add xm it would be computer controlled, using a module like so.

Receiving satellite radio is not possible via the coax lines because they are both the wrong frequency. XM is around 2320-2340, gps is 1100-1600, phone is 850/1900. XM integration into the sharkfin began in 05 i think.

I was trying to get the onstar microphone to feed into the computer but it seems I will have to route a new microphone to the console to get the install I want...

If you have any questions/comments, don't hesitate to ask! I have put a lot of time/effort/research into this project.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 PM

Hello Khill,

Of course, the on board computer makes all the other gadgets a waste of space, effort, time, and money. Previously my rides were an 95Astro which just died at 420,000km this past August. Before that an 87Safari which died at 290,000km. As a part time garage worker in high school, the previous two trucks were purely mechanical in every sense of the word. My regularly scheduled maintenance and things I did myself, helped with the longevity of them, with no major servicing other than the typical. The TB or Envoy are the only current day trucks that come anywhere close to my old ones in so far as utility/cargo, body type and mechanics go. Also hope to get 10 some odd years out of it, with several hundred thousand kilometers just the same.

Do not get me wrong, I love my new Trailblazer ride, and finding more and more in the past 4 months, that everything in one way or another is tied into electronics somehow. Welcome CCI to the 20th century and a new world all together. An onboard computer with proper human interface, is really the only thing missing. Hence your project. Yours is more along the lines of my thoughts versus that of this thread which I am sure you have seen, http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=12833.

Many Questions I have, but I will start with this one:

1. Judging by your dash pic, the shrubs in the back ground suggest you live in a warm climate. Not the case for me, Dec - Mar always at or below freezing. Many years back, IBM ThinkPad left over night, in the morning LCD was shattered. Thought I learned my lesson, but not the case, one day I had a DELL Latitude, not over night, but just through a long day, while parked at clients; same thing happened, LCD screen cracked beyond economical repair. For this reason, I never leave LCD's any more than a few hours in the winter months. My SonyMP3, Garmin NuviGPS and laptop and so on, always come inside with me, where ever I go, and nothing stays in the truck.

Your display unit, what is it exactly? and temperature tolerances?

Not to boar all the other readers, but I will be brief in my future posts and just ask my questions. Thanks again, great work.

Regards, CCI_TBLT
Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

The display was the cheapest I could find, and I never really liked displays in the dash, having to reach out for something that should be at your fingertips just didn't make sense to me.

Link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lilliput-7-EBY70...3%3A1|294%3A50

ebay:

Not sure what the hard specs are but even I don't leave any screens in the car when it gets under freezing. Around freezing is ok I cover it with a wool cap anyways to prevent theft, 20 and under is a no-no, and it's easy enough to bring inside with me. I left it (and my scangauge) outside one night where it was about 10-15 and came back and both screens were clouded and darkened. I thought I killed them, but luckily only needed to warm them up.

There are a few different screen models from different manufacturers and such out there but they are 300USD and up. At the point I bought mine, I wasn't ready to spend that much on the computer but as things progressed I spent a little more than I initially planned to. I will run this screen til it wont turn on, then I might buy a better one. The touch sensor is accurate and in the position it is in it doesn't create much glare but the brightness does leave something to be desired. throughout the day it is mostly adequate unless it is getting direct sun, but at night you cant really turn the brightness down, just the gamma. so the picture gets darker but not the light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.