Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

how to locate air vacuum pump in trailblazer

43K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  the roadie 
#1 · (Edited)
hi i found a hose to the right side of the Air Filter which it leads to the inside of the car mine sucked a piece of sponge and how can i take it out i checked the hose all along and it was not there it was sucked through the plastic joint of the end of hose how can i locate the air pump help plz my check engine light comes on after the piece of sponge was sucked.

#2 ·
It goes under the car to the secondary air injection pump, a high speed turbine under the driver mounted to the frame. That pump is an emission-related component, and it's failing a diagnostic. But its only purpose is to reduce emissions at a cold start, so after the car is warmed up and running, it never comes on again unless it fails the diagnostic. Then it's tested again in the first few minutes of running.

You should find the sponge easily assuming it didn't get blown through the turbine. If it did, you'll find it in the output hose of the pump, which comes back up to the engine compartment near the input hose, and connects to a solenoid valve bolted to the exhaust manifold. If fragments got blown through the solenoid valve then they're burned to a crisp by now at the catalytic converter.

#3 ·
so what you wont me to do or what you advice me?i checked the car now at cold start it vaciums powerfully & normally now does it mean the sponge got burned?
or as you say
You should find the sponge easily assuming it didn't get blown through the turbine. If it did, you'll find it in the output hose of the pump, which comes back up to the engine compartment near the input hose

where is that can you help me by a detailled picture? thx dude. you are the hero:D

#4 ·
The output of the turbine goes to a solenoid valve. High speed air gets injected into the exhaust manifold by the pump to speed up operation of the O2 sensor at a cold start. Sponge fragments might be in this valve. Take things apart and look. The valve is hidden under the filtered air tube into the throttle body.

If you clear the sponge and the turbine works and the emissions test passes on three consecutive ignition sycles, the Service Engine Soon light will go out. If you checked codes now, you would find a P0410, I'm certain. But see if you can check the codes anyway in case sponge fragments damaged an O2 sensor or something.

#7 ·
ok i opened the air pump out let hose there was no sponge i t seems to be burnt the light of engine is still on and i look down the solenoid the joint pipe of 6 cyl there is a sensor with 2 wires is that what you mean may be damaged?and whats the side effects for my car of this O2 sensor damage?thanks in advance .:thx

#10 · (Edited)
OK today i fixed the car my code was P0411 which says (secondary air injector problem due to low pressure) damn clever car.
we opened the under valve (hose) luckily the sponge was there in front of the turbine inter just removed the damn sponge and by reconnecting the hose resiting the codes and the car runs as good as old times luckily it did not inter the engine or be burnt or harm the O2 sensors :D thanks to Mr.the roadie for the big help and detailed pictures it was very helpful:thx.

#16 ·
I purchased my vehicle brand new in December of 2002 and never had a problem with it. I ran my A/C for the first time this spring since the temperature was above 90 degrees here in Virginia. The coolest that I could get the interior was 80 degrees. I have a vacuum pump and the necessary gauges with lines to check and charge the system, but I am not very knowledgable on this process. I friend at work told me to simply have the system reclaimed and then run a vacuum, check for leaks and recharge the system. I did just that. I took it in and had the system reclaimed. I ran a vacuum down to 30 Hg vacuum for 15 minutes and then shut the guage tree. The vacuum held indicating that there were no signs of a leak. I put in the R-134a freon and the system was taking it like it should. I placed a thermometer in the center vent in the vehicle. After putting in 5 cans (12 oz. each) into the system, I could only get the temperature out of the center vent to 70 degrees and no colder. It use to go down to 58 degrees. The low side pressure reads 50 psi and the high side reads 210 psi.

What could be the problem? To much freon? Bad compressor? Please help as the temperatures out here are approaching 100 degrees with a thousand percent humidity.

Thank you,

#17 ·
I purchased my vehicle brand new in December of 2002 and never had a problem with it. I ran my A/C for the first time this spring since the temperature was above 90 degrees here in Virginia. The coolest that I could get the interior was 80 degrees. I have a vacuum pump and the necessary gauges with lines to check and charge the system, but I am not very knowledgable on this process. I friend at work told me to simply have the system reclaimed and then run a vacuum, check for leaks and recharge the system. I did just that. I took it in and had the system reclaimed. I ran a vacuum down to 30 Hg vacuum for 15 minutes and then shut the guage tree. The vacuum held indicating that there were no signs of a leak. I put in the R-134a freon and the system was taking it like it should. I placed a thermometer in the center vent in the vehicle. After putting in 5 cans (12 oz. each) into the system, I could only get the temperature out of the center vent to 70 degrees and no colder. It use to go down to 58 degrees. The low side pressure reads 50 psi and the high side reads 210 psi.

What could be the problem? To much freon? Bad compressor? Please help as the temperatures out here are approaching 100 degrees with a thousand percent humidity.

Maybe try and start a new thread in the correct sub-forum, since you have a completely different problem, and it probably won't get seen down here... :m2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.