Please HELP!! Key won't come out of the ignition - No power at all :( - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:54 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
Please HELP!! Key won't come out of the ignition - No power at all :(

Hey Folks,

2003 Trailblazer LTZ - V6

This week, I pressed the FOB and it unlocked the doors, got in, turned the key & NOTHING! NO lights, horn, power locks, etc.. To make the problem worse, the key won't come out. I've checked fuses and all seems ok.
Not sure what happened, but all of a sudden it worked, so I took it home.

A few days later (today), it happened again. This time, I wasn't so lucky with it randomly working. It is still completely dead and the key won't come out. The worst part is that I parked in a neighbors driveway and it's stuck there

Could it be me pressing the FOB? I do it all the time, no difference, and it works.

Here is something I found on the web, with the EXACT same issues:

Quote:
we have a 2002 chevy trailblazer. about 4-5 times now the car seems to just shut down. There is no power to the ingnition, no lights, no power locks, nothing, and the key won't come out of the ignition. It won't jumpstart, nothing. I think it may be something in the security system. It just wont do anything. If you disconnect the positive battery cable and then re connect everything works just fine. Today my wife was driving and had stopped when the engine died and then the key would not come out of the ignition, no power ect all of the above symptoms again occured. A passerby tried to jumpstart to no avail, and while wiggling the battery cables my wife said that all of a sudden the dash lights came back on and the car started again. Any ideas?
Source: http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/che...IH6L5H33N4S/p2

*** I have not yet disconnected the battery cables, but will try ASAP***

As well, not sure if it has something to do with this, but I found this thread:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=54767

Could it be the ignition switch? Is it just in some factory anti-theft mode I don't know about?

How much are these ignition switches & could I do it myself (I'm mechanically inclined)?

PLEASE help me!!

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
one thing to add was that when it DID turn back on that first time, the clock was reset
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
That sounds like an ignition switch.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD

Could I fix it myself?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:53 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 AWD
I cleaned up the negative post & it's working normal now.

I'm hoping that was it! I'll bump this if I run into more troubles.

Thanks for your time.

Matt
Old 06-28-2009, 06:52 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Similar Ignition Problem

I have a problem with the Ignition Key - it won't come out without pushing the release button located below the key area. Recently, also experienced problems with the A/C switch - and Ambient Temp Sensor ( for A/C operation). Most problems have been resolved with replaceing parts, etc., but the Key always gets stuck now, even though there seems to be no issues with "low battery power" or other conditions.
Does this sound like an Ignition Switch problem? Or, some other looming power issue?
Any help with this problem on my '02 Envoy would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:48 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
mine did that when my battery died. Jump started the vehicle and it came out without issue. So if you're not getting power to the ignition, you won't get your key out.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Power to the ignition is not the problem

Thanks, but, there is power there, and, I've only had to jump start it on the first occasion. The key always needs to be released by pushing on the release button.
Has anyone experienced this kind of problem?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 AM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Ignition

Other than the key getting stuck I had same problem put in key and no power jump start and all was well.Had ignition switch replaced twice for same problem,2007 Trailblazer.Hope this helps.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
If you have power (check fuse #47 in the rear fuse block), then you might have a worn key cylinder, or a problem with the transmission shift lever switch not knowing it's in PARK. There's a solenoid pin in the key cylinder area that prevents the key from fully going into the OFF position if you're not in PARK. That solenoid can't fire if the battery is dead, so that's why keys are trapped when you lose all power or have a blown fuse 47.

If you have a good battery, and a good transmission switch, and your key is FULLY rotating into the park position, yet it's still trapped, that is probably a faulty key cylinder or worn key.

Can you try rotating the key to the OFF position when your transmission is in Neutral, and see if it's being stopped at a different position when when you're in PARK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.