Sudden oil loss, but no leak? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:11 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Fire Red 5.3L V8 2WD
Sudden oil loss, but no leak?

Having problems with 2006 Envoy Denali V8.
I've read the thread from earlier, where they were having problem with oil disappearing.
This has happened twice to me in the last year. Once last summer when my daughter was on a trip, she heard ticking and took Envoy to GMC and was 4 qts low.
Have always had oil changed at GM dealer before getting to 20% life.
In Jan '09 had GMC perform 30G tune-up. Closer to 38G, Oil was changed. have driven 2500 miles since.
Today, started running really rough, checked oil,(on level ground) and it was 4 qts low! Oil pressure never changed on dash,even after adding oil, stayed above 1/2 way around 50.
Engine light did come on steady and then flashing.
I have checked driveway and work parking and see zero oil stains.
I am still under extended warranty, and plan on returning to GMC.
Am I looking at some serious engine repairs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 07:08 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
4 qts in 2500 miles...sounds major. Good thing you're under warranty. Get it to them soon. No coolant on the dipstick? What you're describing sounds sort of "head/gasketish". (New word!!) Or piston blowby, but that sounds like a lot not to notice anything. Have you checked the inside of your tailpipe? Any oil/black residue there? White smoke?
Remember the gauge does not mean oil level, but oil pressure. So, what oil is in there is still pumping.
Either way, make an appointment with the dealer to have that thing checked out and repaired.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:49 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctb View Post
Remember the gauge does not mean oil level, but oil pressure. So, what oil is in there is still pumping.
We're properly in the V8 forum, and that engine has a normal continuous pressure sensor. It's only the I6 owners who got disrespected with an on/off switch.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:37 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Oops! My fault...slipping out the back door silently.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Summit White 5.3L V8 2WD
Any Update?

Just wondering if you had this fixed? Mine is in the shop right now for the same reason, low oil but no leak. We didn't change the oil for about 5,000 miles after we bought it used because I was going by the engine oil life monitor, which they told me to ignore now and change every 3,000. Anyway, it was almost out and the engine was clicking and no lights were on. Got the oil change, told us to check it in 1,000 miles and sure enough, already at least a quart low. I just dropped it off yesterday so I am wondering what kind of work needs to be done. It's almost out of warranty so I am glad it's getting checked now.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:44 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybritt1122 View Post
Just wondering if you had this fixed? Mine is in the shop right now for the same reason, low oil but no leak. We didn't change the oil for about 5,000 miles after we bought it used because I was going by the engine oil life monitor, which they told me to ignore now and change every 3,000. Anyway, it was almost out and the engine was clicking and no lights were on. Got the oil change, told us to check it in 1,000 miles and sure enough, already at least a quart low. I just dropped it off yesterday so I am wondering what kind of work needs to be done. It's almost out of warranty so I am glad it's getting checked now.
Of course they will tell you that. More $ for them! Actually on these engines 5K miles is very conservative.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Summit White 5.3L V8 2WD
Oh trust me...I went round and round with them because the oil life monitor said I had 12% left...so why would I change the oil? They told me that I was wrong and no to go by that gauge that it was proper to change the oil every 3,000. I have been meaning to call GM directly and ask them why they install something in the cars that the dealers are telling us to ignore...
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybritt1122 View Post
Oh trust me...I went round and round with them because the oil life monitor said I had 12% left...so why would I change the oil? They told me that I was wrong and no to go by that gauge that it was proper to change the oil every 3,000. I have been meaning to call GM directly and ask them why they install something in the cars that the dealers are telling us to ignore...
I hear you. When I bought my TB, the sales lady was sure to point out the OLM, the fact that the coolant didn't need changed for 5 years or 150,000 miles, etc.

First time of many I had it in for repairs, the service manager kept saying things like - you need an oil change. Your last oil change was 4,000 miles ago. When I said "You guys don't go by the OLM"? He said "Oh well I guess if you want to do it that way" or something to that effect.

I got a notice in the mail from the dealership at around 30,000 saying it was time for my "30K mile checkup" which included changing the coolant!

I contacted GM - for all the good it did. I got a canned response of "Service advisers recommend what they think the individual vehicle needs based on mileage and time, etc."

BTW just for fun, ask them to show you in the owner's manual where it states 3K miles is the proper oil change interval.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:48 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Summit White 5.3L V8 2WD
Oh that's funny. Guess there is no use writing GM. Have you read the owner's manual? I did after my first run in with this and it says that the OLM is based on motor rotations, not by mileage. That makes sense to me, the more the oil circulates through the chance of oil change is higher...

Here is what the dealership just wrote me about mine:

"JV is currently soaking the top of the engine with top engine cleaner to de-carbon the pistons. What can happen is that the rings on the pistons won’t expand and seal the oil going past them-allowing oil to burn. After this is done, we will change the oil, clean the plugs and return the vehicle-If after a thousand miles and it is still burning oil, we will go into the motor, pull pistons etc."

Sounds like I'll be getting it back soon and will just have to keep a close eye on it. I am just worried because I am getting right to the end of my factory warranty, so I hope they aren't trying to pull something to get me to go over.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:27 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
its been documented that your losing oil- make sure its on Dealer printed paperwork. that way it goes into the vehicle database.
If it fails in the near future- you have proof that this occured while still on warranty..... (right guys?)

As for the 3000 mile oil changes....
you can follow the OLM... BUT check the oil level often. The manual states it can be done when gassing up. (I personnally do it every other week when I wash my truck).

Several years ago--- GM sent out letters to Dealers stating to stop recommending 3000 mile oil changes and to use the OLM....as an example... I am currently at 10,100 miles since my last oil change....
im guessing the light will come on somewhere in the next 500 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.