Here are pics of the front differential leak... - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:20 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Here are pics of the front differential leak...

So I posted about a month ago that I was going to buy a 2005 TB for $1500. It has 116,000miles. The reason it was so cheap is that the dealer told the guy that it needed a new front differential.

I finally got around to looking at it and here are some pics of what I found. It looks like the front diff is leaking from where it connects to the driver's side wheel. I stuck my finger into the fill hole and couldn't feel any oil in there. I figure I need to drain whatever is left in there and see if there are any metal pieces, but it looks fine through the fill hole.

What do you guys think. I am thinking I should be good if I just fix the leak and fill. How hard is this to fix? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 08:02 AM

2007 GMC Canyon
Steel Gray Metallic Other 4X4
Very minimum put some oil in there temporarily to get you by for now. Have you priced this out at the dealership or trusted local mechanic to give you an order of magnitude?
Old 04-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
It's junk... You want to sell it to me for $1800, I'll even pick it up...

In reality, best case, it's a $5 seal, worst case it's a $300 front diff from a junk yard, and a weekend install in your driveway...

Just put some oil in the diff, and see how long it takes to go down... If you've got to add oil to the diff every oil change, I'd leave it... If it's more often, I'd change the seal...

Mike

Bumper and Radiator Skid Plate GB Thread!
GB also ended, but PM me if you want these!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:22 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Is there a pronounced grove in the shaft or is it smooth?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:31 AM

I want to fix this myself if possible. I don't currently drive it, so I am not worried about getting by for now.
I want to fix it before I start driving it. I am hoping it is just the seal and not the differential. How can I know if the diff is bad? It didn't make any noise when I drove it a few weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1101 View Post
Is there a pronounced grove in the shaft or is it smooth?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, what part is it in the pics?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I think he means the axle shaft. If the seal was real bad or had junk in it then it would have worn a groove in the shaft where it contacts the seal. This would make a new seal still leak.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:05 PM

Oh, ok. I don't think it is. I am going to try to remove it this weekend and see what it looks like and also maybe get a better look at the inside of the differential. It doesnt make noise so I hope it looks ok. If all looks good, I bought the seal to replace it. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 4X4
The seal is a dealer only item. Easy to remove and replace.

Just stick synthetic 75W-90 gear lube back in when you are done.

Not a big deal. They commonly leak. But if it was run dry on oil, you will have to replace the front diff at some point. Looking at the gear in the one pic suggests that it has not burned up yet.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
im experiencing a similar leak and found the front diff fluid to be low. is it ok to drive it with the oil low if your in normal 2wd drive driving?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Did you miss my reply in your other thread? The answer is no. It's not safe. Yo have to keep up with the leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.