Coolant flow direction? - Page 3 - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:36 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I guess I will be buying a section of clear hose to see the direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2009, 05:39 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
I guess I will be buying a section of clear hose to see the direction.
Good idea. Or does anyone happen to have a factory service manual who could help us with this? (Hint, Trailvoy calling Roadie - come in please!)
Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Read post #19. Also, on the I-6, the t-stat is in the block on the drivers side.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:51 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOLUF1952 View Post
Read post #19. Also, on the I-6, the t-stat is in the block on the drivers side.
As to post 19 I did miss that. Actually I was hoping for a chart or diagram from the service manual.

Yes I agree with the thermostat being on the drivers side in the block - especially since I just spend a few hours changing the *** thing last week!

My point in saying "Unless I'm reading it wrong, they are saying the thermostat is in the head" is that the Haynes manual is not always accurate.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:54 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
I looked through the entire Cooling section of the manual. There was no flow diagram.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Pjaneiro, are you positive, are you will to stake a bet of you driving down here and installing e-fans for me?
Of course I am not putting anything up on the bet.

P.S. How did the lift install go?
I am so positve that it flows in that position that if you pay the plane ticket i will come....

lol

seriously the reason why i also needed to know is that i i needed to add a temp sensor, and i remember pcmforless using the lower rad hose, but after noticing that one was always cold, i decided to completly empty the rad and see if were to fill up from underneath or from the upper hose on top, well as soon as the t-stat open all the good juices came from the top hose, if uou are unsure, let teh truck idle a bit and remove you rad- cap, of course you will need to drain a bit of coolant so when i fiils up it won't overflow...
Old 04-19-2009, 06:16 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drolds72 View Post
Maybe not to you. I would argue that pushing the fluid up from the bottom to the top results in a more efficient cooling system. Since the fluid is going against gravity, it will stay in the radiator longer, resulting in more time to get cooled. I wish I could reverse the flow in my Cutlass, so that it runs cooler, resulting in less cylinder hotspots, and less detonation at 10.50:1, when the ambient temp is above 80.
Are you running a 3 tube rad? A good shop should be able to build you a 5 tube and cool it down quite a bit. sorry.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:13 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
the coolant flows from the block into the thermostat .....the spring on the tstat is on the block side which adds to the theory that the direction of the coolant flow is from block, through tstat out to the radiator, the themostat is connected to the lower hose where the coolant enters the radiator, is forced up and out of the radiator through the upper hose, back into the block near the water pump which gives it some push through the block again ...........thats my take on it even though this thread seems to have been left with the consensus of the coolant flow in the opposite direction
Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 88 View Post
As to post 19 I did miss that. Actually I was hoping for a chart or diagram from the service manual.

Yes I agree with the thermostat being on the drivers side in the block - especially since I just spend a few hours changing the *** thing last week!

My point in saying "Unless I'm reading it wrong, they are saying the thermostat is in the head" is that the Haynes manual is not always accurate.
Congrats for removing 2 bolts, and putting them back.

Its accurate enough for my purposes. If somebody needs a manual to change the t-stat, or even determine direction, maybe they should get a new hobby.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:44 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by drolds72 View Post
Congrats for removing 2 bolts, and putting them back.

Its accurate enough for my purposes. If somebody needs a manual to change the t-stat, or even determine direction, maybe they should get a new hobby.
Just curious: How long did it take you to change the t-stat in your I-6?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.