Need help with front differential issue. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Majestic Red Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Need help with front differential issue.

I have an '03 TB with a 5.3L V8. I am having a serious issues with my front differential. The major symptoms are A LOT of noise and there is resistance to the TB merely rolling. The noise is worse in 4WD but still very loud in 2WD.

I removed the driver's side CV axle shaft hoping it was just a bad CV joint, but no luck. It's definitely in the front differential. I have the factory service manual and it looks like removing the front diff is a major chore. Am I wrong? Any advice? Does the oil pan actually have to be removed?

When I get the diff apart is it serviceable or am I better off just trying to find a used one to replace it? I need to match the gear ratio, right? When I spin the driver's side front wheel, it sounds like gears are grinding and not meshing. No other wheels spin (it's completely off the ground on stands).

Although it sounds hoosier, I've even considered removing the front drive shaft and CV shafts and going 2WD. Is there some sort of replacement interior/dash piece for the 4WD switch?

Honestly, I've owned GM cars all of my life and this has to be the worst auto I've ever owned. It's a repair project every two months. After this is fixed, I think I am going to sell it.

Thanks for any advice or information others can provide. I am not a TB enthusiast, just a schmuck with an expensive repair. Any insight or assistance is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Sorry for the problem - how many miles? Were the diff oil and TC fluids ever changed? How's the level in the front diff now?

Anyway, it's a major pain, as the manual indicates. Buying a used one with the right gear ratio is a fine tactic, and not as expensive as rebuilding with GM parts prices.

And some members have even gone 2WD with those deletions. You can make a couple of bucks back selling the electrical parts. If you get to that point, I can find you the part number for the blank-up dash plate. Actually, let me just look it up now so you can take note of it: # 15289764 $8.50 at parts4chevys.com

Item #17 in this pic:

Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM

4x4 Repairs & Problems

93,000 miles. I have topped of the diffs and transfer case, but haven't done a change.

Thanks for the part number. I am hesistant to switch to 2WD because I have problem selling the car to someone straight up without disclosing the switch, and I think a dealer would quickly discover it.

I have a tale of woe of repairs to this vehicle that I won't bore you with.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Update on front differential issue

I decided not to convert to 2WD and destroy the value of my vehicle. I was tempted b/c it's so much work and (potentially) money.

After two evenings, I got the differential out and apart. Although the diff was never (visibly) leaking, it was completely dry. So it's not hard to understand why it failed. I was amazed to see that the two halves of the differential case do not use a gasket. GM probably saved $0.50 on that great idea. The car has 93k miles on it and the diff was last checked at about 80k miles. I have never heard of a diff going dry in 13k miles without a visible leak.

The pinion bearing is destroyed and so are the ring and pinion. I determined that it will be much cheaper to replace with a used diff than to rebuild mine at GM prices. The ring and pinion alone would cost about $500, let alone the pinion bearing cost and the difficulty of properly setting up a differential. A dealer quoted a complete differential assembly for $2200 (plus tax).

I have located a used one at a junk yard for $400 not too close to my home, but since I have a 3.73 axle ratio the proper diff was hard to find. Apparently most trailblazers have a 3.42 ratio. I will install it this weekend and hopefully be on the road again Monday.

This car has been one repair after another for almost 6 years. I can't believe the failures will ever stop. Might be time for a new vehicle. After a lifetime as a GM customer, this vehicle has definitively ended that run.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Pewter Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
AMEN NN, what did you buy ??

My envoy is taking me to the outer limits TOO !
Old 08-15-2009, 12:40 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
I've got the same setup as you playstrings - haven't had major problems other than AC line replacement - what have you had go wrong on you?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:47 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
This is an old thread, and nnolte hasn't logged in since May. Sorry.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:01 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Talking

Hey Roadie - it's funny how many are out here reading old news hahahhaa.

linneje - good to meet you....

I have 140K km - which is somewhere around 90000 miles but lots of these were at 1/2 that milage

I have either a cracked head (most likely) or blown head gasket. Known issue with specific head manufac.

I have had the cat replaced on warranty

- they replaced the fuel pump due to rotten lines (keep an eye out for this on yours) XL problem.

- I now have a bearing shot in the diff - and the fluids were changed blah blah bla from all the guys on here

- the dealers answer was to let it go and trade it out for a used diff....??? and how long will that last ???

- did a wheel bearing (warranty)

- did 4 ignitions (3 were warranty) I now carry one in the glove box

- windshield wiper control unit (real pain when no wipers in the rain) warranty

- the AWD switch is flakey - I should change that ....

- now have a good clunk in the front end which I am pretty sure is the ball joint or linkage issue

- starting to think it is a mechano project - take it all apart and put it back together again...

- oh - and I oiled this pig every year - rusting at the seems all over - I have a 95 toyota with 300,000 km that has less rust than this poorly engineered vehicle

- what you find in reading around here is there are a lot of weak links - and we are the informed trying to learn and help others - pity for all the poor folks that are getting hammered by GM

My mistake was using it mostly in the winter for tough weather - if I had drove it hard maybe the diff would and the head have been a warranty deal ... but I have never had a vehicle in my life in the shop as much as this thing .... 12 step - my name is Rick and I own a GM ... its been 30 days since my last repair ...

Too bad - when it runs good I love it - but after the diff bearing and the rust showing up - I think it is time to buy a Sequoia LOL -

However - I do have a very hard head ...

regards
Rick
Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 AM

My litany of problems

My probs began with the painted plastic body panel that houses the third brake light *blowing off* while I was traveling down the road. The dealer initially decided that it would warranty the part, but then decided the flanges that it mounted to (which are permanently attached to the rear window glass) were bent. The dealer then changed its mind and said that I bent the flanges even though they are quarter inch steel and completely covered by the plastic part. How can I bend quarter inch steel covered by plastic without damaging the plastic? They didn't have an answer for that, but were sure that I did it somehow. It couldn't have been assembled that way even though the car was brand new.

They sent me home with a new painted part in the back but refused to fix the mounting issue. I had to take them to arbitration before the Better Business Bureau, which I won. To top it off, the dealer charged my credit card for the loaner car without my authorization (I paid for a paint scratch repair on the same trip). It was supposed to be complimentary for the warranty issue. I sued GM in small claims and won that money back.

After winning the arbitration, the dealer's president told me that he wouldn't repair my car, wouldn't do business with me and "would teach me a lesson." He then called my employer (he knew my boss) and tried to get me fired. My boss laughed about it, and I got the warranty repair done somewhere else. Needless to say, I don't go back there any more (ELCO Chevrolet in Ballwin, MO).

I have also replaced the front differential (big job), tie rods ends (one twice), a window motor assembly, a four wheel driver encoder switch (warranty, took three trips to the dealer to diagnose that one), leaking A/C repair when new (warranty), radiator (another big job), water pump, alternator (twice, second time under Auto Zone warranty), battery, intake manifold gaskets, sway bar end link, radiator fan clutch, and a recall repair on the rear door latches in addition to the typical maintenance fluids, belt, hoses, brakes, shocks and struts. I also love the fact that you can only buy the transfer case oil from GM (Mon-Fri 8-5 only).

All my windows have vertical scratches in them from the dew strips scratching them up (see TSB 04-08-64-012C). The fan clutch ticks like a time bomb (See TSB 05-06-02-004). The shift from 1-2 feels like someone is kicking you in the butt (See TSB 07-07-30-024 or 01-07-30-030A). So these are all known issues that others are also having.

This car has been a nightmare. I have never owned a vehicle so unreliable. Now my wife wants a GMC Acadia, and I am thinking "wouldn't I have to be an idiot to get burned again by GM?"
Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Angry

OMG - what arrogant idiots these dealers can be.

Hey nn thanks for your note... I knew that the reliability on these is questionable. No way I would buy another voy or tb but I have been thinking yukon or tahoe. I need to do more research I think. My other option is a Sequoia, which seems to have less headaches than the voy.

Sad thing is I need to fix it to get rid of it LOL LOL

I would keep it and drive it but I am concerned on what comes next???

I am building the courage to go out and pull the diff now. Then I have to do the heads ..... pain in the butt....

When all else fails - close my eyes and open my wallett - tough to do when you have a teenager bleeding you dry LOL....

Enjoy the day Man !
Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
front differential

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.