Tie Rod Replacement How to - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section

The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:49 PM

2009 SAAB 9-7x
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Tie Rod Replacement How to

I searched the site and have not seen a write up on a tie rod replacement. I just ordered the outer tie rod for the passenger side on my TB. It will be here tomorrow so I will take pictures, write up the steps and then post it. Looks like a pretty simple job. I was able to break the bolt on the knuckle loose as well as the jamb nut on the adjustment sleeve.

I have been having an issue with play in the steering wheel. I had my son turning the wheel while I was looking down below. It was painfully obvious what was wrong. As soon as I jacked up the passenger side you could feel and see the slop in the tie rod end. I am kind of surprised it hasn't broke.

This should be the last of the repairs for a while.
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 06:54 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I did mine a few weeks ago, took pictures, and then got too busy to finish it up. You're right - it is a hole in our how-to coverage. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2009, 12:24 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I cannot believe that the roadie actually had a how-to for the following and he did not post it.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:32 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Hey - I replaced my upper control arms today in an hour and a half, took pictures as well, but am getting really jammed for time. Gotta start driving to Missouri for MORA in 32 hours or so and I have a dozen new mods for the Roadiemobile to show off, if only I get them installed in time.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:36 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
So then we can expect updated pictures of the roadiemobile soon then??
Old 04-19-2009, 06:44 PM

2009 SAAB 9-7x
I have this whole document in a PDF File. If anyone is interested send me a PM with your email address and I can send it to you.

In order to preserve the picture alignment I will post multiple times.

Tools Needed
21mm Socket (tie-rod nut, my new one was a 22mm)
22mm and 24mm open end for tie-rod shaft (I do not have large metric open end wrenched so I used two adjustable ones). Also, I am not 100% sure on the size wrenches needed.
Pickle fork or tie rod puller.
Machinistís ruler
PB Blaster

I sprayed the nut and tie rod shaft threads with PB Blaster the day before I planed to do this job. The nuts all came off with little trouble. I was somewhat surprised and my Trailblazer has spent 5 years in Chicago, winters included. I also found out that I should have installed both tie rods and it cost me a second trip to the store.

The total cost for both tie rods was about $140.00. All in it took be 1 hour and 15 minutes to change both tie rods and this included taking the pictures. This job was MUCH simpler than I originally thought.

Step 1

(Assumption is you already have the car securely supported and the tire removed.)

Using a machinists ruler measure the exposed threads on the tie-rod (see picture) and write this figure down. This step will allow you to get the alignment close to original but you still need to get an alignment done. I measured to the end of the threads, as well as to the end of the shoulder on the tie rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie-Rod-1.JPG‎
Views:	811
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	3809  
Old 04-19-2009, 06:45 PM

2009 SAAB 9-7x
Step 2

Loosen the jam nut on the tie rod while holding the nut closest to the steering rack and turning the outer. I found it easiest to wedge the on wrench against the lower control arm as seen in the picture. Once this is loose leave it for now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tie-Rod-3.JPG‎
Views:	1187
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	3811  
Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 PM

2009 SAAB 9-7x
Step 3

Loosen the 21mm nut on the top of the tie rod where it attaches to the spindle (see picture). Do not take the nut all the way off. Now you must separate the tie rod from the spindle. This can be done with a puller of a fork. I have a puller so that is what I used. Once the tie rod has separated from the spindle you can remove the nut and pull the tie rod all the way out. Now just unscrew the tie rod from the steering rack.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tie-Rod-5.JPG‎
Views:	389
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	3813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie-Rod-6.JPG‎
Views:	1646
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	3814  
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 PM

2009 SAAB 9-7x
Step 4

Installation is generally in reverse of the removal. . I found it best to lay the old and new side by side. Then I installed the jam nut at the same distance as listed from Step 1. Install the new tie rod into the steering rack and try to screw it in the same amount as the one removed. Do not snug the jamb nut yet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tie-Rod-7.JPG‎
Views:	586
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	3815  
Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 PM

2009 SAAB 9-7x
Step 5
Now you need to slide the tie rod into the spindle. You will need to wiggle the spindle some for it to pop into place. My manual said the nut should be tightened to 33 foot pounds. You need to make sure the tie rod is all the way into the spindle and use caution to ensure the tie rod is going in straight. Once the tie rod is tight on the spindle verify the length of the threads on the shaft and once close to the original measurement tighten the jam nut while holding the nut on the steering rack.

Here is how the tie rod looks prior to tightening. I forgot to take a picture after it was all tight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tie-Rod-8.JPG‎
Views:	896
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	3816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie-Rod-9.JPG‎
Views:	367
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	3817  
Advertisement

Tags
how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.