p0017 code? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:35 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
p0017 code?

I have a 05 ext and i went to oriellys today to read the code and got a p0017. Its running really rich and the manifold cracked when i was hauling my jeep cherokee to go trail riding. Its the 4.2 and i can replace the manifold myself and turn all the wrenches but have no clue about how to fix problems like this. The CEL will go off and on here and there but no loss in power and as for mpg i dont pay attention to that so dont know. I recently cleaned the throttle body because it would idle rough and die when a/c was turned on. It run good now with no problems. Also has new O2 before cat because i jumped to changing that thinkin it would cure the rich problem but it was a waste of 52 bux. That was before i read the code. I have to get this problem fixed cuz i got a prego fiance and a 3yr old daughter and i need them smelling the fumes. What should i do and if it needs a relearn how does this procedure work and how much should i be looking at money wise? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Western Canada Chapter

2003 TrailBlazer and '09 Kadillak Eskalade __
sExY Dark Gray Metalic 4.2L I6 4X4
Usually the re-learn is performed after changing one of the sensors It seems strange that it would throw that code unless it had malfunctioned at some point. Anyway a dealer can perform the re-learn for anywhere from $50 - $100 depending on their feeling of goodwill. The TechII should also uncover the mystery of your issues beyond the code.

I'm feeling that one of the sensor failures may may be the cause of your poor running conditions and the code.

Let's get a Meet going!
Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Hi,
Check this out. It might help.

http://www.pcmforless.com/install/trailblazerpcm.pdf
Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the info. How to u test a sensor to know if its bad or not so i know if its the crank or cam sensor if any that way i can change out the sensors before i take it to the dealer to get the relearn done that way its cheaper. Oreillys has the crank sensor for 25 and cam for 30 and i bet its cheaper than dealer price and i would save labor cost.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:06 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Don't assume its the sensor, in addition to those two sensors, the other possible cause of that code is a faulty cam phaser. (I'm not saying it isn't the sensor, just that it could be something different). The phaser valve can clog and result in the cam not phasing to the desired alignment, which once the variance exceeds a preset maximum can report that code.

How many miles are on the truck? With mileage comes the possibility that the screens on the phaser could be clogged, somebody a while back actually cleaned their screens with solvent, reinstalled the actuator and it fixed the problem. With a cracked exhaust manifold, you may also want to check the wiring for both those sensors and the cam phaser/actuator. It is possible that the wiring may be damaged as a result of the hot exhaust gases hitting them....you didn't mention where the crack in the manifold was.

One other thought, did the rich condition appear AFTER the exhaust manifold cracked? If so, that rich condition may be a result of the crack not allowing the O2 sensor to see a true picture of what's happening inside during combustion. - They can suck air in, as well as expel exhaust gas out.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:05 PM

You might be right about the rich condition being from the manifold. Wheres the cam phaser at and is it easy to get to.You might be onto something here cuz i can be driving and all the sudden the CEL goes off. Also if the light is off and i park it then start back up and it sets off the CEL again then the cruise wont work and i have to shut off then start to get the cruise to work. Got a new manifold on the way for 180$. I was leary about tackling this but it took me about 30 mins to get it all apart and 10 of that was finding all the metric tools lol so i recommend to anyone that can turn wrenches to diy it. You just need a 10mm socket or wrench, a 15mm deepwell socket, i used 1/2 drive and impact(easy work) And i made a homade O2 sensor socket out of a old wrench and a 22mm socket with a slit cut in side for the wire to pass thru and the socket welded to the wrench but i supose its easier to just buy one. Then a 13mm deepwell with an air rachet made quick work of the manifold bolt, theres alot of them.
Oh yeah it has 78k on it.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:14 PM

Update. I put my new exhaust manifold on and the CEL was gone for about 100 miles then came on when i started it the next morning. When it came on the cruise wouldnt work so i pulled over and shut it off then started and the cruise worked but still had CEL. About 15 miles later it went off. Then when i left work last night it came on again lol. I havent checked the cam phaser yet but im thinkn its def not a sensor or wouldnt it be on all the time. Once i figure out where this cam phaser is ill check it out and report back. It still smells a little rich out the tailpipe but its 90 percent better than before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.