5300 Vortec P0300 random cylinder misfire - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
5300 Vortec P0300 random cylinder misfire

I know I'll probably get bounced out of here for posting this, but:

I no longer have my 2002 black LTZ, I've got a 2002 Suburban 1500 4wd with the 5.3 Vortec. Anyone have any ideas on the following issue?

Check engine light came on one afternoon. Started the vehicle, it seemed to be missing, very rough idle, but didn't stall.

Scanned the codes, P0300 Random/Multiple cylinder misfire. According to the scan tool, cylinder 4 is misfiring the most, with cylinder 3 having some as well (about 5:1 ratio cylinder 4 to 3). That's at idle. Under WOT, the misfires seem to stop on cylinders 3 & 4 (for the most part) and cylinder 5 starts missing, with cylinder 7 picking up a couple, intermittently. Soon as you let off the throttle and the RPM's drop, cylinders 4 and 3 start back up. I've read up on how the PCM detects misfires, and I am unsure if cylinder 3 is really having misfires, or if it's by chance just a result of number 4 having so many. Apparently, over 2000 RPM, the PCM gets data from an opposing cylinder to detect misfires, so, is that the reason why it "appears" to switch to cylinder 5 (with a few on 7) under WOT, or, is the misfire really moving?

I've:
changed plugs
swapped wires with cylinders that aren't misfiring (miss didn't follow the wires)
swapped coil packs with cylinders that aren't misfiring (miss didn't follow the coils)
changed fuel filter
Run some injector cleaner through it
vacuum tested the engine, got about 19" in.Hg at idle, dropped to 0 when opening the throttle, and increased back to about 25 in.Hg, then settled back in to 19in.Hg (seemed normal to me)

I suspected it could be a sticking EGR valve, but alas, the 2002's (at least some of them) don't have the EGR valves.

I don't *think* it's a catalytic converter, as I don't notice a rotten egg smell from the exhaust, and the vehicle doesn't drive like it has a restriction (if anything, I'd say it alternates between lean and rich judging by the exhaust smell). In fact, it still seems to produce plenty of power while accelerating, you almost wouldn't even think it had a misfire when the throttle is open. You really only feel it at idle. I strongly suspected a vacuum leak, but that doesn't seem to be the case (at least not from what I can tell). I'm running out of things to "cheaply" replace, with cat's and fuel pump in the $250~$500 range, coil packs at $50 a piece (x8). I'm not sure about the O2 sensors, the scan tool I used read them, and the levels appeared to be similar between bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1, as well as b1s2 and b2s2 and there's no other code showing in the OBDII scan. I've also yet to perform a compression test on cylinder 4, to look for a stuck valve or swap fuel injectors from a working cylinder to cylinder 4.

And hopefully I'll be back in a Trailblazer EXT soon enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 04:48 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Scarred Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I have a feeling someone on here might suggest a starter switch. It seems like the problem is electrical. Any other symptoms that would suggest problems with and alternator or battery?
Old 05-04-2009, 05:09 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Light Pewter Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
It looks like your having quite a few misfires on one bank of cylnders if you have a scan tool that you can monitor the before cat o2 sensors with i would see if the are working properly. If you have a bad 02 sensor it will cause it to most likely run lean and have a missfire. I had almost the exact same problem shortly after i bought my tb but i had ran into it enought times before to know what to check.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:23 AM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
No other electrical issues exhibited. This weekend I'm getting the scan tool again and swapping out the injector from cylinder 4 with one that's showing no misfires.

I'm wondering if one cylinder is totally (or nearly) dead, if it would cause a couple of others to show a few misfires at various RPMs.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:14 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I'll post an update here, in case anyone runs into a similar problem. I swapped fuel injectors to no avail, did compression tests on all cylinders, another vacuum test (and sprayed throttle body cleaner around the intake/vacuum hoses as well). Previously, I'd ruled out a coil pack since I thought I had misfires on cylinders 3 and 4 regularly, and intermittently on the others (I think 2, 6, and 7 had one or two misfires here and there, nothing regular). After running some injector cleaner through and everything else I'd done, I got it down to only misfiring on cylinders 3 and 4, the rest were all running perfect. However, under WOT, cylinders 5 and 4 would misfire, and 3 would run normally. I did more research, and apparently the PCM uses a different alternate cylinder (via the crank position sensor) to detect misfires above 2000 RPM than it does below 2000 RPM. I began thinking cylinder 4 might be the only culprit, as originally it was the only plug that looked different than the rest when I pulled all 8.

One $50 coil pack later, and there's no misfires at all. So, when viewing real-time scan data, I guess it's good to keep in mind that a "random/multiple cylinder misfire" might not be on more than one cylinder. I suspect with the coil pack gone, the cylinder was pretty much totally dead. That might have caused the others (3 and 5 depending on RPM) to throw a code as well.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:17 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002BlkLTZ View Post
I'll post an update here, in case anyone runs into a similar problem. I'd ruled out a coil pack since I thought I had misfires on cylinders 3 and 4 regularly, and intermittently on the others. After running some injector cleaner through, I got it down to only misfiring on cylinders 3 and 4, the rest were all running perfect. However, under WOT, cylinders 5 and 4 would misfire, and 3 would stop. I did more research, and apparently the PCM uses a different cylinder to detect misfires above 2000 RPM than it does below 2000 RPM. I began thinking cylinder 4 might be the only culprit, as originally it was the only plug that looked different than the rest when I pulled all 8.

One $50 coil pack later, and there's no misfires at all. So, when viewing real-time scan data, I guess it's good to keep in mind that a "random/multiple cylinder misfire" might not be on more than one cylinder. I suspect with the coil pack gone, the cylinder was pretty much totally dead. That might have caused the others (3 and 5 depending on RPM) to throw a code as well.
I wish I saw this post earlier, I could have helped you on this.. We had the same type issue with my Buddies Sierra and it was the coil pack..
Old 06-02-2009, 04:19 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
No worries. I knew I'd get it eventually. It just took a couple weeks as I've been pretty busy.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:19 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Silver Mist Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Hey Guys,

I experienced the same thing this past weekend (while on vacation of all places) with #7. (2005 Envoy XL 5.3L V8)

I had a mechanic friend change the coil pack on #7, yet it still misfires at idle (we had no time to look at it farther -part store closed- and as we all had to go - including me back to Canada - was in NYC at the time).

We did run a scan and it did show #7 misifiring with that P0300 code.
I was about to change the injector (of #7) this Monday morning but feel, after reading up here, that that might not be the solution.

Any more ideas what might it be ?
(ps, we also ran a fuel injector cleaner as well).
Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Silver Mist Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
GRRRRRRRRRRRRR,

I'm so pissed. Changed both coil and injector, but miss continued to no avail. Pulled out spark plug and it had carbon build up right to the tip (solid) connecting both ends (and platinum spark plugs too).

Anyways, if any of you ever need a used injector PM me (I live in Toronto, Canada) so take that into account re: postage.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:53 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Similar problem on '02 TB 4.2L I6

How do you get the misfire counts for the different cylinders? Is that a function of the scan tool? I am seeing the same symptoms on my sister's 02 TB with the 4.2L I6. It runs rough and uses a lot of gas, and my scan tool only shows a PO300 code, nothing for individual cylinders. I have done some research and found many possibilities, including a bad coil, spark plug, injector, fuel pump, dirty throttle body, excess carbon buildup in the valves, and a few others. The spark plugs are AC Delco iridiums, less than a year old. I haven't pulled them yet to check for fouling or oil or water buildup in the wells. I was also going to do an upper intake cleaning with Sea Foam, and put half of the can of Sea Foam in the gas tank with about 1/2 a tank of gas to see if that helps. She had a similar problem about 8 months ago, which went away by replacing the plugs, cleaning the wells (had some oil in them), and replacing one coil because we had an intermittent miss code for cylinder 1 at that time. Now the same symptoms came back a few days ago, shortly after she filled the gas tank. Maybe it's just some bad gas, possibly contaminated with water? Any other ideas or thoughts? If I can find out how to get the misfire counts for each cylinder, then I could probably tell if it is an electrical problem (weak coil, high voltage arc path, contamination) or fuel problem (injector, low fuel pressure, bad gas?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.