HVAC Passenger Temp Actuator Replacement - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
HVAC Passenger Temp Actuator Replacement

The Passenger Side Temperature Actuator went out in my 2003 Trailblazer. The passenger side and rear vents blew heater air instead of air conditioned air.
I removed the glove box and found the actuator to the left center behind the radio on the passenger side.

How I did it:
Unplug the actuator. Using a 5.5 mm extended socket on a screw driver remove the two screws. Now use some force to pull on the metal bracket on the outside of actuator enough to wiggle the actuator out of the plastic door gear. The old actuator has a tighter fit than the new one. I replaced the actuator, but the air was still not working correctly. So I took the actuator out again and turned the plastic door gear until I had cold air coming from the vents. I replaced the new actuator and noticed it calibrated to the correct setting and screwed it down.

Be careful of your knuckles as you pull on the bracket. Notice red stuff on the back of bracket.

Next job is to replace the vent blower for the various speeds, My #5 is out.
Then I will replace the window regulator and motor when the part comes in.

thanks to all for helping me with this job-it saved me a lot of money and will keep me cool in the Bakersfield 100 degree heat this summer.

J Baker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0279 (2).JPG‎
Views:	284
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	5237   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0280 (2).JPG‎
Views:	230
Size:	979.3 KB
ID:	5238  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 04:41 PM

plugging in air bag connectors

I just finished replacing temp actuator on passenger side and need to put back the glove box. My husband disconnected the air bag connectors and is not here right now. What are the steps on connecting these-I don't want it to deploy.

J Baker
Old 06-19-2009, 05:03 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I moved your post here so as to not hijack the other thread about dashboard replacement.

Best safety for airbag connectors is to disconnect the negative side of the battery, wait 10 minutes, then plug in the air bag connectors. Still keep your body and tools out of the deployment region, just in case. I've never heard of one accidentally deploying here on trailvoy in four years, but you're right to be cautious.

Thanks for the temp actuator update.

On blower speed 5, you're changing the resistor pack, not the blower motor itself, right?
Old 06-19-2009, 05:07 PM

The resistor thingy

I replaced the resistor pack. I found Sticky's post on replacing it. It works great now.

My next task is to replace the window regulator-but will have to wait for the right (I wanted the left side back window) one to come in.

Thanks for your help

Julie
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Too weird! Same problems as my 2002. Crazy airflow/temp on the passenger side, resistor pack, and rear left window regulator. Whatever I get - you get. So get ready, your upstream O2 sensor is about to go south - just replaced mine
Old 12-12-2009, 11:28 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Imperial Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Looks like you cut the metal dash support to move it out of the way of the accuator mounting screw? Any issues with it's strength afterwards?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:42 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
My 02 Trailblazer EXT is experiencing the same problem with my passenger side air only blowing hot regardless of what the temperature is set to. I would love to replace it since I live in AZ and it's starting to hit the 90's. I was wondering if you have the part number to the passenger side temperature actuator? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:05 PM

Passenger side air actuator

I do not have the part number for my 03 trailblazer. I would take out the old one to make sure you get the correct part. There are 3 or 4 different actuators behind the dash, so make sure you match part numbers.
I bought the part at the dealer, its pricey, but worth it especially if you use your air daily like we do in Bakersfield. It is a tight fit to get the passenger side actuator out, you have to get your hand between the support beam and the part itself. My husband couldn't get his hands in good enough to get a hold of the actuator to pull it out, so I got my knuckles banged up instead.

Good Luck

Julie
Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Emerald Jewel Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Very Fortunate!

Well I started to tackle my passenger temp actuator repair/replacement this afternoon after several months of cooler weather finally ran out. Just as Roadie's photos showed, there is a metal strut exactly in the way of the second screw holding the actuator in place. I don't have anything to cut out an access to the screw so I just took the one screw out and then wiggled the actuator. In my 2004 Envoy's actuator there is a plastic plug on the face of the body which has a notch in it. I turned it with my flathead screw driver about an 1/8 turn and there was some resistance so I don't know if I turned the shaft inside the unit or not, but I started the truck and turned on the a/c and it is working now! Cool air comes out of the passenger vents plus the back seat vents where before hot air from hell did. I guess I freed the mechanism from some kind of bind, but I'm sure glad because I couldn't have removed that second screw without cutting some metal. Hope this helps inspire the next guy to try this before getting extreme. I know I didn't "fix" anything but it's working now and I'll take it.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:02 PM

2002 Olds Bravada
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
i have the same problem as you all have had, i am having a hell of a time getting the dang thing out. i cant get to the bottom left screw, so i thought that i would try to move the actuator by hand. i tried to move the round gear looking thing with a large flat head screw driver - but it wouldn't budge and I TRIED. any ideas how to get it to move, or how to manually set it on cold? I will move it later in the winter.

Please help, my car is disassembled in the driveway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.