transmission shift linkage cable replacement? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Performance Transmission Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:54 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
4.2L I6 2WD
transmission shift linkage cable replacement?

The bushing at the transmission is worn/gone to the point the cable comes off the transmission and will leave the transmission in whatever gear you were in unless you crawl under and manually move the lever to park etc.

I have the transmission shifter cable and just need guidelines on the installation of the new cable. Seems straight forward, but never hurts to ask before starting.

This is a 2004 trailblazer ext with automatic transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Did you ever get a response? I have a TB aswell and it did the same thing.
The plastic ring in the black plastic rectangular piece was broken.

I did buy some plastic shifting linkage pieces (in the help section of autozone) and one did actually fit on the pin and lock. I will try to put it inside the black plastic tranny linkage and hope it works.

I will post up results as soon as possible.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:10 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Same problem here...actually happened on our annual family outing . I was told by the dealer that the entire cable had to be replaced...was able to get back on the road by securing the linkage with wire. Like to know if the plastic from autozone work...and how did you find the proper size...just trial and error in the parking lot of Autozone (crawling under the truck)?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Yea trial and error pretty much. We were lucky it happened to break in our garage. The plastic linkage pieces are in the help section at autozone or advance auto parts. there was one that fit but it had a lip on it so i cut it off with scissors and it snapped in place. Good luck, it is a pain in the butt....also in case you did not know (i didnt) if it gets stuck in gear just jack up the truck and hit the lever towards the front of the truck. it will put it in park for you. I was scared as heck for 10 minutes thinking my truck was stuck in reverse! good luck
Old 09-13-2009, 05:31 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Ok. ill take a ride over to Autozone tomorrow. See if i can find what u are talking about.
Thanks again

Update..just got back; wondering if this was the same item that you had purchased?

im actually thinking something like this is the proper item...darn..i dont think they had that!
https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=DijdcdfMdljpdlua011542514561151145&item= 74045&icrid=&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=Shift%20Linkage& vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=&end_amoun t=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Maroon 4.2L I6 4X4
Hello cgoodwin, I came across the same problem yesterday, I was wondering did you ever replace the shift cable? I looked on here and it seems no one has done it. Can you please give me some info on what I have to do? Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoodwin View Post
The bushing at the transmission is worn/gone to the point the cable comes off the transmission and will leave the transmission in whatever gear you were in unless you crawl under and manually move the lever to park etc.

I have the transmission shifter cable and just need guidelines on the installation of the new cable. Seems straight forward, but never hurts to ask before starting.

This is a 2004 trailblazer ext with automatic transmission.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:51 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Hello;
I posted later on. You are all in luck! Im going to do mine tomorrow but I have been looking over the info I received (Chiltons Manual) and although it doesn't cover little details it seems pretty straight foreward.
Of course it starts with dis connecting the battery. for the next steps you will need a small metric socket, phillips screwdriver and a couple slot blade (regular) screwdrivers.
Take out the inside compartment in the console (6 Philipps screws) at first I couldn't see the screws (all of them) untill I took the little rubber inserts out.Lift out the compartment. Now, under that compartment there are two small screws with metric heads, I just used my 1/4" socket set with two long extensions, now, you have to remove the two cup holders in front and you will find two more metric headed screws (something the Chilton left out).
Next, using the small star end on a nut driver handle, remove the set screw in the base of the shifter knob (drivers side) and remove the knob and shift boot. Next, remove the console, you might have to un plug some of the wires I'm not going to unless I really have to! Now the end of the shift cable will be visable in front of the shifter.
Make sure the shifter in the Park position.
Jack up the car (I call my TB a car?) and make sure it isn't going anywhere by placing blocks in back of the rear wheels. Time to get grimey! crawl under and locate the cable end at the transmission, and using a flat blade screwdriver, seporate (pry) the end of the cable off the end of the trans lever (which has a locking ball on it) then next the cable assembly will be held in a bracket, you have to locate a clip near the end and pry it down to free the cable from the bracket. Now follow the cable to where it enters the floor, there is a rubber boot (part of the cable) the pushes out under the carpet.
You might have to pry up the pieces on the drivers door entrance to free up the carpet. Next, you use a screwdriver (Slot head) to pry the cable off of the shifter end (should have a retaining ball like the trans did). Pull the cable out and get ready to put the new one in.
Installation should go reverse of the removal with the exception of making sure the shifter inside is in park as well as the transmission lever.
You will notice a small clip (trans end of the cable) with with a sliding locking clip. this should be down untill you get the cable hooked up then press it up and slide the lock over it. DONE! (except for putting it back together)
Hope this helps anyone having to do this job.

Bruces 57
Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
2002 Trailblazer shifter cable bushing

I finally found just the bushing/pin needed to fix the shifter cable at the following site:

http://www.atfbilletparts.com/shifte...pair-kits-c-21

$19 and you don't need to replace the entire cable.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:45 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb915 View Post
I finally found just the bushing/pin needed to fix the shifter cable at the following site:

http://www.atfbilletparts.com/shifte...pair-kits-c-21

$19 and you don't need to replace the entire cable.

Hope this helps.
This was a life saver, Thanks!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces 57 View Post
Hello;
I posted later on. You are all in luck! Im going to do mine tomorrow but I have been looking over the info I received (Chiltons Manual) and although it doesn't cover little details it seems pretty straight foreward.
Of course it starts with dis connecting the battery. for the next steps you will need a small metric socket, phillips screwdriver and a couple slot blade (regular) screwdrivers.
Take out the inside compartment in the console (6 Philipps screws) at first I couldn't see the screws (all of them) untill I took the little rubber inserts out.Lift out the compartment. Now, under that compartment there are two small screws with metric heads, I just used my 1/4" socket set with two long extensions, now, you have to remove the two cup holders in front and you will find two more metric headed screws (something the Chilton left out).
Next, using the small star end on a nut driver handle, remove the set screw in the base of the shifter knob (drivers side) and remove the knob and shift boot. Next, remove the console, you might have to un plug some of the wires I'm not going to unless I really have to! Now the end of the shift cable will be visable in front of the shifter.
Make sure the shifter in the Park position.
Jack up the car (I call my TB a car?) and make sure it isn't going anywhere by placing blocks in back of the rear wheels. Time to get grimey! crawl under and locate the cable end at the transmission, and using a flat blade screwdriver, seporate (pry) the end of the cable off the end of the trans lever (which has a locking ball on it) then next the cable assembly will be held in a bracket, you have to locate a clip near the end and pry it down to free the cable from the bracket. Now follow the cable to where it enters the floor, there is a rubber boot (part of the cable) the pushes out under the carpet.
You might have to pry up the pieces on the drivers door entrance to free up the carpet. Next, you use a screwdriver (Slot head) to pry the cable off of the shifter end (should have a retaining ball like the trans did). Pull the cable out and get ready to put the new one in.
Installation should go reverse of the removal with the exception of making sure the shifter inside is in park as well as the transmission lever.
You will notice a small clip (trans end of the cable) with with a sliding locking clip. this should be down untill you get the cable hooked up then press it up and slide the lock over it. DONE! (except for putting it back together)
Hope this helps anyone having to do this job.

Bruces 57
I just got finished putting a new cable in on our 2003 TrailBlazer.

I have to credit you, Bruce 57 with an outstanding description of the process!

Thank you for taking the time to put that all down in a post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.