Rack and pinion issues ! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:31 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Angry Rack and pinion issues !

Ok this will most likely my lasts posts about this truck as this truck has now put my life in danger once again and needs to be put down

Before selling it to a dealer in exchange for anything not designed in North America, I need to know if people here have had their rack and pinion replaced a few times already? This will be the 4th one in less than 3 years

Why I need to know? I would prefer see it crushed and loose the 7k they are giving me than to sleep at night wondering who's the poor bastard that will end up risking his life

Anyhow the first rack was the original that started leaking from the top at 60k and then the 2 rebuilt failed at their 5k interval, now this one was a brand new one from GM, and boy are they expensive, well I barely gave me 15k and this one too is leaking from the top, part from the original they all gave me the same symptoms before failing.

Imagine me driving along "lalalala" and then stopping at a red light, flasher blinking right and as I am starting to turn the steering just locks and starts to have an epilepsy attack, steering pump cries for mercy almost instantaneously... I press on the brakes, let engine on idle, start forcing the steering wheel to turn, it finally gives in and then it leaks like a woman who just broke her water.

Anyone have this happen to them? A FEW TIMES ???

or is it just me ? and this truck just needs to see the crusher, just too many issues, most of them don't even get here because I fix them even before I need help in understanding why such or such part would fail on a truck

and then you have my neighbour who owns a 1994 toy of a 4runner where he NEVER had any issues, ok bloody thing lacks power and has barely enough torque to get out of a good old montreal snow bank , but still I should know, Iím the one who does his oil changes brake pads rotors and whatnot, I was proud when I showed him my TB now when I look at him I know what he is thinking when he sees me pop the hood every two other week

I know a lot of people are blaming union workers pension plans and other poor corporate decisions for GM's failing, personnaly after seing my family and friends have so many issues with GM DODGE FORD cars and trucks and then mostly having smiles when they went to the japanese side of things, i'm wondering what do they know about builing things we don't ? from what i heard even their damned buildings are built better and safer than ours....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 05:35 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Go to search. Enter, rack and pinion. it's a common problem with 02 Envoy's.
I think it's time to sell it for part's or trade it in. That's my opinion.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
How long ago did you install the GM rack? I think GM parts have a 12 month warranty and possibly a lifetime on parts like a rack generator, starter, etc. I can check for you. I hope you still have the recept, it'll make this easier, especially if I (you) know the date it was purchased. Let me know the part number. I'll read through the GM P&P manual and see if it is listed as a covered part. As far as it being a "new" GM rack, that part does not exist. They are all reman units. The only way to get a new rack is with a new vehicle. You may want to consider installing an inline filter and do a fluid change as part of your routine maintainence schedule. Same as flushing the brake fluid at least yearly.

Not to start a pissing match, but, the foreign made vehicles are not much better. Do you think Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, MB, Kia, Porsche techs sit around all day and play cards? They are fixing them, with their many issues. As far as a warranty goes, lots of luck getting anything covered after the original bumper-to bumper warranty expires on a foreign badged vehicle.

Let me know if I can help.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:31 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indi-GO Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
mine failed at about 65-70k and the reman I got is still kickin @90K

who did the install? Could fragments from the previous failures have gotten in the lines ands doomed the new racks?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TB View Post
How long ago did you install the GM rack? I think GM parts have a 12 month warranty and possibly a lifetime on parts like a rack generator, starter, etc. I can check for you. I hope you still have the recept, it'll make this easier, especially if I (you) know the date it was purchased. Let me know the part number. I'll read through the GM P&P manual and see if it is listed as a covered part. As far as it being a "new" GM rack, that part does not exist. They are all reman units. The only way to get a new rack is with a new vehicle. You may want to consider installing an inline filter and do a fluid change as part of your routine maintainence schedule. Same as flushing the brake fluid at least yearly.

Not to start a pissing match, but, the foreign made vehicles are not much better. Do you think Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, MB, Kia, Porsche techs sit around all day and play cards? They are fixing them, with their many issues. As far as a warranty goes, lots of luck getting anything covered after the original bumper-to bumper warranty expires on a foreign badged vehicle.

Let me know if I can help.
Thanks, i know what you mean, all cars from all brands have their issues, but by the time i see one of my friends bring in theirs for something that's actually broken (head gasket, seals, rack and pinion) it's my opinion a domestic vehicule would probably have been rebuilt frrm the ground up, i had a dodge ram 1500, the thing was powerfull, but also had it's hood open every two weeks, previously i owned a dodge stratus, things had its hood open every other day, dad used to have a impala police edition, hood open every other day also....

at least now it confirms my toughts, it's time for a change, i must now consider if i trade it in and live with myself, or just enjoy filming the whole thing while it's being crushed
Old 07-01-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMMJ View Post
mine failed at about 65-70k and the reman I got is still kickin @90K

who did the install? Could fragments from the previous failures have gotten in the lines ands doomed the new racks?
Before installing the rebuilt racks i did a flush of the little oil that was left in there, and then when GM did it, i have no idea, the only reason why i went with gm the last time is that i said to myself that after 2 failures i was probably doing something wrong, so i let the "PROS" do it....

HA what a mistake, the damned thing barely did 3 months and had cost me one bill
Old 07-01-2009, 11:52 AM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjaneiro View Post
Thanks, i know what you mean, all cars from all brands have their issues, but by the time i see one of my friends bring in theirs for something that's actually broken (head gasket, seals, rack and pinion) it's my opinion a domestic vehicule would probably have been rebuilt frrm the ground up, i had a dodge ram 1500, the thing was powerfull, but also had it's hood open every two weeks, previously i owned a dodge stratus, things had its hood open every other day, dad used to have a impala police edition, hood open every other day also....

at least now it confirms my toughts, it's time for a change, i must now consider if i trade it in and live with myself, or just enjoy filming the whole thing while it's being crushed
This is so true, I usually trade in my vehicles every 3 years, So I have purchased many cars the past twenty years.. While my TB has had a few problems, It has been no worse, then the past vehicles I have owned incl, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru ,VW and BMW
Old 07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Bordeaux Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The steering rack has a lifetime warranty. Labor is only 12 months. I confirmed this by reading the latest GM P&P manual. If you have your receipt from the install, you can get another rack from GM, but you will have to install it.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:05 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
1) Are you installing the original 2002 weaker unit with the 14mm tie rod ends, or the upgraded 2003+ units with the 16mm parts? They redesigned it for a reason.

2) What specifically is failing all these times? A seal?

3) Have you tested the steering pump pressure or ever replaced the pump? I would guess a pump with high pressure could blow racks apart.
Old 07-01-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
1) Are you installing the original 2002 weaker unit with the 14mm tie rod ends, or the upgraded 2003+ units with the 16mm parts? They redesigned it for a reason.

2) What specifically is failing all these times? A seal?

3) Have you tested the steering pump pressure or ever replaced the pump? I would guess a pump with high pressure could blow racks apart.
I guess it's the 2002 units, because my original tie rods fits, i know i once received a rebuilt unit with the 16mm ends and was WTF///

for the pressure you got me, but then again since i brought it to the dealer should'nt they of checked it ?

I'm always blowing the upper seal where the steering column attaches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.