ball joint life - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Suspension

Suspension Suspension

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
ball joint life

What is the average life of front ball joints? I have 54,000 miles on my 2005 trailblazer and just noticed a clicking in the front when I turn left. It does not do it all the time, just some of the time. Could I need new ball joints already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2009, 09:23 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Clicking that's related to speed? That's much more likely to be CV joints or wheel bearings than ball joints. If it's ONLY happening with one direction of turn, look into the brake dust shields being too close to the disks (usually a scraping noise, though), or the right wheel bearing. Or is it a one-time click when you start the turn?

Stuff starts to go bad around 50K, but more goes wrong at 100K. It's a bell-shaped curve, so everything has somebody that it fails on early, and other people which never have the problem. And the mass of folks are in the middle.

If I had to say, I'd predict more ball joints are 150K sort of items, depending heavily on random chance and number of potholes in your county.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 AM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
It is a one time click. I am not positive, but I don't think it is related to speed. I only hear it when I turn left, but not all the time.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:08 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (1SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
If I had to say, I'd predict more ball joints are 150K sort of items, depending heavily on random chance and number of potholes in your county.
I don't know about that, my truck is one of the nicest 100k trucks I've seen and the steering was nice and tight (just as in tie-rod wear, my truck had issues with wandering because of the balljoints). However, when I decided to replace the lower ball joints since I was upgrading everything else in that area, I found mine were completely shot. Not just loose, but they have verticle movement in them with me moving the joint by hand. I would imagine in an area with bad roads or with someone who just doens't give a flip about their vehicle, they would wear out sooner than 100k.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncharmer View Post
It is a one time click. I am not positive, but I don't think it is related to speed. I only hear it when I turn left, but not all the time.
A one time click is probably a creak.
I'm guessing a dry bushing in a control arm (I have one right now). Mine would only creak when I go out of the vehicle, a single and small creak.
Lately, it has gotten worse and now creaks when there is a weight change (bump, dip in road).
When your turning left, the weight is off-loading on the inside corner, perhaps causing a creak.

I have oiled them, but the only long term fix is to replace.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:37 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
So if it that is what it is, my wheel isn't going to fall off while I'm going 70 mph on the interstate, is it?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Nope, just a rubber bushing that moves up/down with the suspension
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
All my Balls and Links are still Original... just need the extra $$$ to get them replaced...
Old 07-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks RayVoy, that makes me feel better knowing that. Now I just have to hope that is what the problem is!

How many miles do you have on it MajesticLT03?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoncharmer View Post
Now I just have to hope that is what the problem is!
We may be a little early (not making enough noise yet), but you can check it by bouncing the front left corner up and down.
You can probably hear the bushing complain as the control arm moves.

If it is making a noise, sometimes a squirt of WD-40 onto the bushing will quiet it for a little while (until it drys out, or gets wet).

I've mixed a little longer lasting lube by using linseed oil (month or two per application)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.