3rd row seat fabrication - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Interior

Interior Interior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:21 PM

2006 SAAB 9-7x
Arctic White 4.2L I6 AWD
3rd row seat fabrication

I used to need one more youth's 3rd row seat. Not for a baby seat but one out of a booster and up, for standard wheel base a side ways one was best and offered more leg room + storage even while a passenger is back there.

I saw a few aftermarket ones even thought of fabricating the side facing ones from other car-wagon brands which do this style too off Ebay. I thought they were safe & sound enough but OMG expensive. I knew I’d need one for a ticket from the police would be big $$$$ too....

Luckily 2 summers ago I saw on Craigslist... a GMC PU truck, fixed center seat section (not folding not with storage bottom).

It came with seatbelt and the legs to mount in another GM truck…….. On or off the car it is rock solid, using the GMC OEM safety belts and frame work and I bet plusher than the aftermarket ones....

Sorry I didn't photo the actual build but I have included the results...It slides in 2 of the triangle floor hold-downs and with only 1 bolt ........

It mounts solidly through the 3rd ring with that large bolt & washer. It won't budge. It is less than 50 lbs and quick in & out. When I am driving solo I like the rear head rests down and with the 3rd row, they flop down and this bucket is out of the way not seen in my rear view either.

You can fabricate your own, email me with questions, I am selling mine too, Syracuse Craigslist Autoparts PostingID: 1304421873 or
you could go here for theirs...
http://www.littleseats.com/chevy_tra..._gmc_envoy.htm

Continuing on the how to do it yourself.....
The OEM seat unbolted from the 4 legged black metal stamping. I flipped over and reinstalled so it was like inside 4 legged bucket…Took it off & the front wings get power hack saw hacked way off underneath. The rears get whacked above the seat belt.

At my local Tractor Supply Company I got the solid large diameter solid steel rod, which fits the tangents of the tie down rings in floor of our SUVs perfectly. Got the Strap Hinge which I forced open and stuck in a shaft of the same rod for the front 3rd ring to center mount loop, as well the all thread bolt connector for the 1 bolt location. Welded it all up.

Other random details, the all thread barrel connector was drilled out to fit the solid rod and cross drilled and bolt pinned. The black metal leg stamping assembly is cut up and 2 separate bolting lands for the strap hinge to well all around to it…I made the rod and strap hinge details tack welding for full fit and then unbolted seat and went to town welding. You’ll find the rear solid rod rested well in a valley in that black metal stamping…

OH and as you can see I kept the GMC cup holders too!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thats a cool idea! We have run across a few times when one (or two) of these would have come in handy!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
BIG 'N' BLACK 5.3L V8 4X4
I bet this is not dot aproved!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Interesting.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 PM

2006 SAAB 9-7x
Arctic White 4.2L I6 AWD
not DOT approved

Oh yes agree and easily know / recognize that this is not been submitted for DOT approval.

Now for everyones consideration consider your structure materials. I have gone over if not equal to OEM utilized in this construction. The complete bolting down and additional welding (not spot) to the base OEM stamped frame...and stock OEM seat belt use. Perhaps re-look at the other purchased models attachment points (believed to be same bolt location).

You also may draw your own conclusions as to riding in the back for the brief trip sans anything, riding 4 across in the back seat...

As well the riding while side facing...vs. back facing seats, styles others offer. Many OEM small P/U, or other SUV does these same things ... vs. the price of unrestrained passenger type tickets...

Anyhow I surfed here, I saw others asking how this may be accomplished, this is but 1 option for their consideration too.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Except for using hardened hardware to completely avoid that possible criticism, I think you've answered many objections and have a very useful project. Thanks for posting, and make sure to stay around in the trailvoy community for when you encounter the other typical things that go wrong as the vehicles age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
3rd row seat, rear seat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.