How to replace your ignition switch (pics) - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section

The 02-09 "How-To" and DIY Section Threads on Do-It-Yourself and How-To goes here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Majestic Red Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
How to replace your ignition switch (pics)

Okay, I replaced my ignition switch yesterday. I was nervous, I had read numerous posts about this, but some of them conflicted, and I wasnít sure what I was getting myself into. I havenít done a whole lot of work on newer car systems, although I did replace the stepper motors on my Envoy a while ago. The switch replacement was unbelievably simple, and anyone can do it.

Anyway, I decided to make this post, hopefully itíll help someone who needs to do this in the future.

(FYI, I have a 2004 Envoy XUV, with foot pedal adjustment and tilt wheel controls on the steering column, and had no problem at all.)

First, youíll only need two thin regular screwdrivers and the replacement switch to do the job.

Disconnect your negative battery cable. Iíve heard that you should disable the airbag, but Iíve read that others did not do this, and neither did I. Just to be safe, I tried to stay away from the front of the wheel while working on the switch.

Take one of your screwdrivers and gently pry the covers of the steering column off. They should separate pretty easily, then you just need to remove the bottom cover to get access to the switch.

Once the cover is off, youíll see the bottom of the switch where the harness plugs in, the rest of the switch is slid up into a metal sleeve.

Take your two screwdrivers and insert them into the two holes in the metal sleeve. This pushes back the spring tabs on the ignition switch, allowing you to pull the switch assembly down and out of the metal sleeve. The pictures below have two red arrows showing where the two screwdrivers need to be inserted. The yellow circle shows where the harness connects to the switch. The last picture shows the switch removed from the sleeve, but not disconnected from the harness.

Disconnect the switch from the harness.

Look at the teeth of the old switch and compare them to the new switch. Align the new switch gear with the old switch gear. There is a gap in the gears you should see that greatly helps with the alignment.

Plug the harness into the new switch.

Insert the new switch into the metal sleeve until you hear the spring tabs engage the holes in the sleeve.

Reconnect your column cover.

Reconnect your negative battery terminal.

Start her up.

Hope this helps. Took me about 15-20 minutes to do, and most of that time was spent getting the stupid harness off the old switch.

(Moderators, feel free to relocate this post if necessary.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 03:38 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Nice write up and good, clear pics too.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:05 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmac310 View Post
Nice write up and good, clear pics too.
Great contribution! I see people on here all the time with this problem and now we have a nice how-to to reference!
Old 08-11-2009, 06:58 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Thanks for the kind words... Like I mentioned in my post for help, this place has saved me a ton of time, hassle, and money, so I felt it was my duty to give a little back.

I noticed (just now) that I posted this under the 6 cylinder OEM issues forum, is there a way to put it into the 8 cylinder one too? (I have the 8 cylinder in my ride.)

I'm just thinking it might help even more people.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
You could try using the edit button and then copying and pasting your first post in other sections. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a section just for electrical problems in general that covers all the platforms, I6 and both v8s.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Good idea. Did just that.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:09 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I deleted it.. its already a sticky here.. so there really is no need for it in the V8 section..as it uses the exact same parts
Old 09-09-2009, 02:56 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Ignition switch harness

Hello,
I probably need to change the switch like everyone else as most times it will start normally. Once every 30 times or so it will have nothing, when I release and start it again it starts up, but once, it went 3 times in a row with nothing then started the fourth time. I guess I'm on borrowed time before it goes completely out. I read the post and took off the steering cover to have a looksee and with the posts I saw it should be no problem. The comment about the most time being taking the harness off the switch; so I don't reinvent the problem solving how does the harness come off? Depress one or two tabs like most harnesses?
Old 09-09-2009, 11:24 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Normal retention tab. Not an evil three-simultaneous-tabs with safety interlocks like some of the airbag connectors.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:19 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Ignition switch ordered

Okay, I ordered my ignition switch. Being in Paradise (Hawaii) no one had it in stock, I ordered it from Checkers (arriving on 17th). It is a Board Warner brand? (Phonetic spelling, not sure what it actually is) part # CS643 BWD, for $31.99. It has a lifetime warranty which is good after reading about all the failures. I looked at the AC Delco part photograph on the internet. It shows the switch as well as the wiring and harness electrical connection connected to the switch. Does it actually come with this? The way I was reading the posts you change out the switch and it seems like you reconnect the old wiring harness and connector? I guess I will also find out when my part comes on the 17th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.