03 trailblazer stuck in gear - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > Transmission Mods

Transmission Mods Performance Transmission Modifications

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:46 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Cranberry Red Metallic 5.3L V8 2WD
03 trailblazer stuck in gear

i have an 03 trailblazer. This morning my wife was backing out of the driveway. It appears that it is stuck in reverse. it is an Automatic transmission and it was driving fine in reverse but it will not shift to any other position. I turned it off and now i can not crank it because it is stuck in gear. What do you think my problem is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Hi, I'm new here and I have the same problem but the shifter stock in park and the underline in the cluster shows that is on reverse. Mine is a 2004 Envoy 4.2L.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian911 View Post
i have an 03 trailblazer. This morning my wife was backing out of the driveway. It appears that it is stuck in reverse. it is an Automatic transmission and it was driving fine in reverse but it will not shift to any other position. I turned it off and now i can not crank it because it is stuck in gear. What do you think my problem is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by budaracing View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I have the same problem but the shifter stock in park and the underline in the cluster shows that is on reverse. Mine is a 2004 Envoy 4.2L.
Welcome .You may have to crawl under the truck and see if the shift linkage is loose.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:04 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian911 View Post
There is a little plastic grommet that connects the gear shift assembly to the transmission shifter. It sounds like this little piece of plastic has broken. If you crawl under the car, you should be able to see this with no problem and even put the transmission into park or neutral by hand. Parts + installation at the dealership is about $250 or so.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtritt View Post
There is a little plastic grommet that connects the gear shift assembly to the transmission shifter. It sounds like this little piece of plastic has broken. If you crawl under the car, you should be able to see this with no problem and even put the transmission into park or neutral by hand. Parts + installation at the dealership is about $250 or so.
That's the problem! The plastic grommet was broken. I found the cable for $60 at a GM store. Thanks guys.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Brian911 - I'd love to mark this thread as SOLVED, but did you find the same thing as budaracing? You're the thread starter on this one.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:08 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by budaracing View Post
That's the problem! The plastic grommet was broken. I found the cable for $60 at a GM store. Thanks guys.
Same thing is wrong with my 2006 trailblazer, what is the name of the part and where did you purchase it. thanks for the help
Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Shift Lever - Cable - Repair of Grommet

2003 Trailblazer 152K Miles

Issue: Truck was stuck in the parked position despite the shift lever moving when the brake pedal was depressed.

Potential Resolution: Dealer (Dealer Labor), Website (Your labor), Home Depot (Your Labor)

Tools needed: Adjustable wrench, Wire Cutters, Duck tape and Crazy glue.

I was missing the white grommet that goes inside the shift lever.

• Dealer - $92 for the part plus labor = Ridiculous went and actually got the part from the dealer. The little grommet was the only thing that I needed to get fixed, but they only sell the entire cable system.

• Website - http://www.atfspeed.com/store/index....index&cPath=21 Cost = $20. Require you to take the shift lever off and grind out the original pin. If you don’t have a grinder…this is not for you.

• Home depot - $2 + glue and duck tape…I actually only used one washer for 12 cents.

Before attempting any fix make sure you secure the wheels with a brick and use emergency brake.

The breakage:
The Shift Lever Grommet that comes inside of the Shift Cable was broken so the cable popped off the lever. When you move the lever back and forth it will not shift.

If you need to get the lever in to the parked position push it towards the front of the vehicle. I used duck tape and a zip tie to hold it in place until I could get a permanent fix. May last a couple days…Maybe.

Once I got to Home Depot I removed the shift lever

Below is a picture of the lever looks w/out the grommet. I recommend taking this in with you to home depot to make sure your sizes match perfectly.

Once it is off the vehicle you push the hose on to the end of the pin after applying glue to the head and shaft of the pin.

I also put some duck tape around the end to hold it in place and allow the glue to set. I always recommend having duck tape....it's a life saver.

Clip the end off the hose to only allow a to a inch or so to stick out.

Reattach the shift lever and then attach the cable, add the washer and use the clip to secure the washer on to the hose. Make sure the hose has clearance to move back and forth.

Problem solved for $2

Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Excellent first post! Could you edit in the URL for a larger picture, or attach a copy to your post so it's saved on the trailvoy servers more permanently?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:27 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Here is a document with more detailed pictures of the process.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Shift lever replacement on 2003 Trailblazer.pdf‎ (175.5 KB, 2218 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.