Help! Fan Belt Tensioner (Adjustment) - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:28 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Question Help! Fan Belt Tensioner (Adjustment)

Hi to all here I am new and love the help this site has provided me in my recent tune up!

Unfortunately, the drive belt tensioner got away from when removing the fan belt and is loose. I have tried messing with the bolt but cant seem to make it tighten up again. I am sure there is method without me having to take it to a shop. Please help! I cant find anything relevant to my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
what exactly did you do?? All you have to do is stick a 3/8th breaker bar in the square hole and pull it towards the passenger side of the vehicle to get the belt off..

what bolts are loose?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:28 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I did use a 3/8 ratchet as it was all that I had at the time and loosened the belt to remove the alternator. But after replacing the alternator the belt is much looser than before. I tried adjusting the tensioner with the bolt next to the 3/8 slot for the breaker bar. But I am unsure of what I am doing and have tried to find several resources over the internet with nothing satisfying this question. I dont see how I can the belt snugged to the wheels again!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:39 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Scratchy Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadaholic View Post
I did use a 3/8 ratchet as it was all that I had at the time and loosened the belt to remove the alternator. But after replacing the alternator the belt is much looser than before. I tried adjusting the tensioner with the bolt next to the 3/8 slot for the breaker bar. But I am unsure of what I am doing and have tried to find several resources over the internet with nothing satisfying this question. I dont see how I can the belt snugged to the wheels again!
Did you remove the tensioner assembly?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Or is it no longer springy?

If you took out bolt #8, that wasn't necessary.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
fan belt tensioner

I took the tensioner all the way off. should I loosen the bolt and use a breaker bar to tighten it making sure it is still springy? If it isn't springy maybe I got it in the wrong slot where it rides. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:41 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmusclecars View Post
I took the tensioner all the way off. should I loosen the bolt and use a breaker bar to tighten it making sure it is still springy? If it isn't springy maybe I got it in the wrong slot where it rides. Any help would be appreciated.
You do not remove any bolt,as in number 8 on roadie's pics.you use the 3/8 slot for the breaker bar,and its on a spring,just spring it down and let off of it when the belt is on,You probably need to get the spring back in the seat where it belongs to get it to work now,
Old 09-25-2010, 01:49 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadaholic View Post
Hi to all here I am new and love the help this site has provided me in my recent tune up!

Unfortunately, the drive belt tensioner got away from when removing the fan belt and is loose. I have tried messing with the bolt but cant seem to make it tighten up again. I am sure there is method without me having to take it to a shop. Please help! I cant find anything relevant to my post.
lol i just saw this, did you put the wrong belt on? some have 150amp alternators some have 130amp i believe or 180. they are different sizes. you might have put the wrong one on.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:00 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyTb2003 View Post
lol i just saw this, did you put the wrong belt on? some have 150amp alternators some have 130amp i believe or 180. they are different sizes. you might have put the wrong one on.
The difference is the size of the power steering pulley.

XL's and EXT's have a smaller pulley and shorter belt.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 PM

Sandalwood Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Got mine taken care of today before I got home to read the reply, but thanks for the help! I bought a snap-on clutch fan remover tool you use a air hammer on. Tried the standard set of wrenches but it was too tight to get off. Took a few times but finally worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.