Rear end clunking...Sway bar links? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Suspension

Suspension Suspension

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Rear end clunking...Sway bar links?

I have an 04 TB with 89K miles on it. I have recently started to notice some rattling/clunking noises coming from the rear end when traveling over rough roads (technical description I know). I sometimes also hear it when traveling at higher speeds down the freeway. I have read several posts on here describing that the sway bar links tend to go bad. I crawled under the truck this afternoon and there is some "play" in both rear links. I was able to twist both of them back and forth horizontally a little bit. Not sure if this is normal and also what would be considered acceptable. Are the links most likely my issue, and if so what recommendations does anyone have for replacements?

After reading this board this seems like a realtively simple repair, but any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 AM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I just replaced all 4 Links with Mevotech units from RockAuto.com for around $80 shipped (they are greaseable too)

One of the rear links I could shake the crap out of it it was so bad... the others had some play but not as bad..

the new ones are rock solid but I of course forgot to fully tighten one front link down and it rattled like an SOB..so I fixed that.. hopefully the rattle is gone..
Old 09-05-2009, 12:23 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 4X4
Just got my new Raybestos front & rear sway bar bushings, and rear links from Rock Auto today. The front bushings are the blue plastic "Professional" series, which seems stiffer than the stock rubber ones (hey, ANYTHING has to be stiffer than the original 165k mile ones ).

But seriously, I'm hoping that they "tighten-up" the front end handling some. Already replaced the links in the front last year, so they should be good to go.

As for the rear, I've never replaced the links, and I also think I hear the "clunk" back there too, so I'll be replacing those links and the bushings too.

Funny though, nobody makes the rear bushings in the hard plastic.....even the Raybestos "professional" series for the rear are the black rubber. Oh well, gotta be better than the originals that are in there.

Since I was ordering all this stuff, and the shipping didn't change much, I also decided to replace my original upstream o2 sensor.....I figured after 165k miles, I got my money's worth out of it. I got the Bosch sensor, and the total bill for all this stuff w/ shipping was only $156. And they all arrived in 1 day by FedEx.....amazing!

Guess I'll be a busy boy tomorrow......got to get all this stuff on before I bolt on the new General Grabber tires I have sitting in the garage waiting for me to wear out the old Yokohama Geolanders before winter sets in.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
That would bo my guess. Mine were replaced under warrenty at 37000 miles and now I have 78000 and I think they need replaced again this time will be with aftermarket.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM

2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by petevw View Post
Just got my new Raybestos front & rear sway bar bushings, and rear links from Rock Auto today. The front bushings are the blue plastic "Professional" series, which seems stiffer than the stock rubber ones (hey, ANYTHING has to be stiffer than the original 165k mile ones ).
I wonder if these Raybestos bushings are the same as the NAPA polyurethane ones? I know you can't completely rely on the images on these sites, but the images Rock Auto uses for the Raybestos bushings (1.72" and 1.80") are the same images NAPA uses for their bushings.

I replaced my links with Moogs and my bushings with NAPAs earlier this year, and the difference is amazing.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Broken link in rear suspension

Hi, I had the same symptoms ever since i bought mine used. Finally looked underneath the vehicle tonight and one of the links is broken. I don't know what to call it. It is the one that connects the rear axle and runs forward to an anchor point on the frame. It had been acting funny towing a trailer, but the final straw was when I was experiencing "torque steer" when accellerating in 2wd. That's not supposed to happen. I have an aftermarket powertrain warranty. I am guessing it is not covered. If not, looks like an easy repair. Where can I find one of these (not junkyard)? Part stamped with #24205151. Can I do this in my garage or do I need to put it on a lift?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1020209506 For the picture.
Old 09-12-2009, 02:03 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Welcome!

WHO did the prepurchase inspection on this death trap!?!?!?!?!?!?

Fire them.

If it was you, and you didn't pay a mechanic to look it over, please be an example to everybody to not do this.

You could have died. You are (even now) only a 1" bent piece of flat sheet metal (the wussy upper control arm) away from losing your rear axle on the Interstate.

Seriously - don't tow. Don't drive over 20 MPH and even then on deserted streets.

I personally would get one from a recycler. www.car-parts.com is a portal. Or Ebay. I don't know that part number you have, but the one I have listed is GM #15098154. $122 at parts4forchevys.com. Other vendors like Spohn Performance make them for $120.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/2002-2009-...Envoy-SSR.html
Old 01-21-2010, 09:11 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
I have a nosie from the pass. rear. I went under the truck last night and shook the spare tire and thats on nice and tight. I took a rubber mallet and hit a few things and everything seemed tight. I grabbed hold of the swaybar link and was able to twist it side to side very easily. It that a sign that its bad and is whats causing the noise?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
That is most likely the noise maker. The rear sway bar end links are the easiest to replace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.