Rear end clunking noise - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Forest Green Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Rear end clunking noise

Hi, Guys,

I did a search and found some answers but I'm not sure if it applies to me.

As I accelerate out of a slow 90 turn or while slowed down to approximately 10 mph and accelerate again - I get a one time clunk type sound which seems to be from the rear of the truck.

I bought this one as the second owner - first owner sold it after 10,000 miles - an older gent who then bought a smaller car so I don't think he did anything hazardous to the vehicle - it is now just coming up on 30,000 miles and has spent most of its life on pavement.

I've put the Suspension Max lift in the front and added 25579r17 tires as the only mods.

IIRC - it's been like this since I bought it and has always been nagging in the background of my mind, so I figure it's time to have it looked at before it goes much farther.

Has anybody had this type of occurrence? Anything to worry about? Service guy I made an appointment with for Monday suspects rear stabilizer mounts.

Also should the differential fluid be changed or just topped up if needed?

Thanks,
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
For the fluids - follow the Owner's Manual recommendations. The differential is not half as important to change at 50K as the transfer case fluid. That's IMPORTANT to do.

I've seen broken stabilizer bar mounts, loose end links (loose nuts, not worn out joints), loose panhard bar bolts, loose upper and lower control arm bolts, and loose shock mounts. All potential noisemakers. Less likely is a bad ujoint or driveshaft front slip joint that needs greasing.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:32 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
If its what I think it is, its normal.....every TB/Envoy I've driven does it. Basically you've slowed to the point where the transmission is thinking down-shift and has most likely shifted into 2nd and is about ready to shift to 1st gear. (10 mph is 1st gear territory). You apply throttle and get a thump/thud or clunk type sound. (Depends on your interpretation of the noise). What is happening is that the transmission is in the middle of a no-torque applied downshift when you get back on the gas, which results in a rather harsh 2-1 down-shift. Mine does it, not as bad since the tune a couple years ago, but still occasionally does it. Every rental/loaner and every Envoy/TB my friends have had did the same thing. Its a characteristic of the 4l60e transmission series coupled with a drivetrain that has some lash in it.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:46 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Forest Green Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Rear end clunking noise

Hi, Guys,

Well back from the dealer where I was able to demonstrate the noise to the tech rep and his diagnosis is that it is normal with our trucks - says it has to do with the differential backlash setting.

They also checked it out physically and made certain the fluid level was ok - it didn't change a thing.

Just as an interest point - mine happens between 20 and 24 kph (12 and 15 mph) - decelerate to that speed and then accelerate normally - I then get the rear end clunk noise every time.

So now I'm a little more cautious about accelerating out of that speed range.

Thanks for the answers,

Bill
Old 09-14-2009, 06:59 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I purchased my trailblazer with around 30,000 miles and it now has around 80,000 miles. It has had the same noise eversince I bought it. My dads 2004 chevy truck does the same thing ever since he purchased it also. I guess its just the nature of the beast.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
i can confirm that sound, i also have that as well. 2004 Trailblazer lt here.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:39 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Buick Rainier
Platinum Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I know Roadie said it's less likely (so I'm afraid to even say it lol) but my friend's Suburban had the same issue - he changed the u-joints and it went away.

Just a thought, since u-joints are cheap enough.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:52 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
same sound here also
Old 12-29-2009, 05:59 AM

2010 GMC Acadia
White Diamond Tri-Coat Other 2WD
Unhappy same noise here with '04 but..

I have a 2004 TB LS that seems to have the same problem, however I also have an 08 LT with 36k that has NEVER made this sound. My 04 has 85k and when you accelerate after breaking breifly (such as going around a corner) I get a clunk from the rear end. Im not sure if I did'nt notice it as much before or it has gotten worse but my 08 has never done that. I can slow to around 20mph and gun it and it just takes off...no clunk, and no lag...
Old 12-29-2009, 12:46 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Make sure all of your five links in the suspension are mounted tightly - no loose bolts. And the shocks.

Consider removing the driveshaft and greasing the slip joint at the front end - this should be regreased every 3-4 years, IMHO. Search for a thread with "feeling of being bumped when stopped" as the title for more speculation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.