Fuel gauge problem - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:57 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
Fuel gauge problem

I just bought a 2005 trailblazer ls, the gas gauge does not work. It reads Empty all the time, and the gas light stays on. Every once in awhile the needle will move just a bit and may make the light go off, but then it goes right back down and light comes back on. I read about techron so I bought some this morning and put it in. I put 3 bottles of 12 gallon cleaner in it. My question is how long does it take for the techron to work if it is going to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 AM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
It could be your sending unit that misreading the fuel level. Not 100% sure but it's a start. I'll keep looking around here to see if I can get you some more info.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:09 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
had the same thing happen to mine but it was still under warranty and the stealership said it was a bad sending unit and replaced it
Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
i replaced my sending unit because it was al rotted out now my gauge does not work what does the techron do and do i have to replace my sending unit again
Old 10-01-2009, 11:04 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
There are two items that can fail here. The sending unit in the gas tank (that sometimes improves in a day or two by using Techron cleaner) and the stepper motor that drives the gauge needle on the instrument cluster. Only somebody experienced in electrical troubleshooting or who has a scan tool can tell for surewhich one failed. Unless it's very obvious like the gauge is reading way below zero or way beyond full.

The fuel level sender unit replacement has been discussed, and a search should show those threads. It involves dropping the fuel tank, so it's best to be near empty. The gauge repair can be done using instructions in a thread that discusses "stepper motors" or by sending it off with around $100 to repair vendors you can find on Ebay or with a Google search on "trailblazer gauge repair"
Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Superior Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebear View Post
had the same thing happen to mine but it was still under warranty and the stealership said it was a bad sending unit and replaced it
exact same thing happened to me...i have an extended warranty ndit was coverd
Old 10-01-2009, 01:59 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Silver 4.2L I6 4X4
I had the same problem. I did not know about the stepper motors in the gauges going bad so I replaced the sending unit. That did not fix the problem, it end up being the stepper motor. The sending unit cost me $100 to fix and a lot of time in the driveway and the stepper motor cost me $6 and about 30 min. to fix. I would definitely check the stepper motor first.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS (3SS)
Imperial Blue Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
It was the fuel sender unit on my TBSS that went bad about a month ago. The fuel gauge was all over the place, jumping to full then empty and back to full - had to use the trip odometer to see how much gas I had in the tank because on a full tank, I had about a 250-290 mile range, depending if I hammered it as I tend to do with my lead foot

Still under warranty and was fixed at the dealership. I saw the repair detail when it was all done, and it would have been a $700 bill if it wasn't under warranty

Though most of it was labor because the fuel tank needs to be dropped (as it already stated here in this thread), and the dealership reported to GMAC that is was a 4-hour job.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodengirl View Post
I just bought a 2005 trailblazer ls, the gas gauge does not work. It reads Empty all the time, and the gas light stays on. Every once in awhile the needle will move just a bit and may make the light go off, but then it goes right back down and light comes back on. I read about techron so I bought some this morning and put it in. I put 3 bottles of 12 gallon cleaner in it. My question is how long does it take for the techron to work if it is going to?
i'm having the same problem i thought it would correct its self when i put the new cluster panel in but it didn't it did how ever fix the speedometer/oil gage/ tachometer/battery that were all ran off that but not the gas gage it still reads empty when its full i didn't try techron what is that supposed to do?
Old 03-30-2013, 01:01 PM

Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1638 View Post
i'm having the same problem i thought it would correct its self when i put the new cluster panel in but it didn't it did how ever fix the speedometer/oil gage/ tachometer/battery that were all ran off that but not the gas gage it still reads empty when its full i didn't try techron what is that supposed to do?
I had the same problem and I mine ended up being the result of a stepper motor. I can't say that is your problem but its possible. I got several quotes to do the work which was a minimum of $450. I chose to do it myself. If that is in fact your problem and you decide to fix it yourself you have two options...Option #1 you can go to junk yard or ebay and replace the instrument cluster yourself, some places you can send the unit in for repair or you can just replace the unit but your odometer will be off unless you go to dealer. Option #2 you can remove the intrument cluster and carefully take the cover apart and take it to a computer repair shop or if you know someone that can solder and just replace the motor yourself.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthrea...ht=speedometer

Another possiblity is the fuel level sensor but that would require dropping the gas tank and I had that done a while back. I contacted Chevy and made them cover part of the repairs at the dealer because some other Chevy vehicles (including certain TBs) had a recall on that part.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=60570
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.