Motor Mount Replacement - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Motor Mount Replacement

I have been tinkering with the idea of changing my own Motor Mounts. However, after reading several posts and checking out a few how-to's the process seems a little more involved than what I may like to get into.

However, while I was inspecting a few posts and inspecting the engine itself, I was wondering if anyone else has ever changed the mounts without taking off the Fan clutch and jacking the enigne up as far as it could go. My question is this. Since there is a top engine mount bracket that bolts to the engine, would it be possible to simply brace the engine, unbolt the top bracket from the engine. Remove the the old MM and replace it with the new one. Put the bracket back on the engine. Put the nut back on the top of the new MM.

Just asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Envoy Trailblazer GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
I have done it, its pretty easy! Took me a few mins each side.

This is the way I did them

1: secure the car on flat surface
2: unbolt the plastic covering the oil pan
3: Completely unbolt one of the motor mounts, theres a top bolt and a lower bolt. You will need a long extension for both and maybe even a breaker bar.
4: Loosen the opposite side mount, but leave the nuts threaded a bit.
5: Grab a decent jack and a piece of 2x4 or any wood to help protect the oil pan. Slowly start jacking up the oil pan just enough to give you enough room to slide the motor mount out.
6: Slide the new motor mount, making sure to line up the top and lower key holes, and now slowly lower the engine just enough to barely get the nuts on.
7: Do the same for the opposite side motor mount.
8: Carefully lower the engine, and tighten up the motor mount bolts.
9: Bolt back on the oil pan splash gaurd
Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 PM

Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Clarification

When I was researching this, some other posts stated that they had to remove the fan clutch to have enough room to jack up the engine to remove the old mounts and install the new ones.

Based on what you have written, you did not do any of that. Obviously you had plenty of room to install your new ones. Would that be correct?
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
just poly it!
Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 PM

Envoy Trailblazer GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoehlke View Post
When I was researching this, some other posts stated that they had to remove the fan clutch to have enough room to jack up the engine to remove the old mounts and install the new ones.

Based on what you have written, you did not do any of that. Obviously you had plenty of room to install your new ones. Would that be correct?
I didnt have any problems the way I did it. I would replace both front mounts, theres no need really to do the rear transmission mount
Old 01-23-2011, 08:20 AM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Thanks for the quick instructions

This procedure worked for me no other items had to be removed, I think the important part was leaving one slightly bolted while replacing the other one so the engine rotates a bit instead of going straight up leaving a bit more clearence room for the middle of the engine (fan shroud, throttle body) which is the limiting factor on jacking the engine up.

Compared to my old 99 Jimmy this was heavenly
Old 01-31-2011, 08:56 AM

Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
I have to give a pat on the back to several folks here on the forum.

I had what I originally preceived as a "miss" or rough idle in the motor of my 02 TB. She had right at 100,000 miles so I did the usual (as suggested here) like new Delco plugs, trans fluid and filter, cleaning of the throttle body and such, "roughness" persisted then I began listening to what Roadie. ibidu1, and several other members were saying about motor mounts. Well yesterday I installed my new GM motor mounts and just daummmm. Feels like I'm driving a brand new vehicle. Smooth as silk. New mounts made a world of difference.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:13 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
motor mounts

thank you all for the tips on replacing the mounts! my 03 envoy feels like a brand new truck thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
Never Again! This is the worst **** i have ever done didn't unhook anything but had a helluva time gettin the new mounts in cause the old ones were so compressed! I'll tell ya if it weren't for my bench grinder i'd be majorly pissed lol. The new ones needed at least another 1/4 inch to go in. Managed to get them in by grinding a lil over a 1/4 inch off the new ones. Which was easy cause they have about a 1/2 inch of non threaded portion thank god! But finally got em on there and hope i never have to do it again seeing as i'm at 225,000 miles right now. Runs smooth as silk now! Next goes the Exhaust manifold and gasket....Sighs!

Just a reminder: It won't hurt to GRIND SOME OFF! Save yourself some trouble and if it won't fit GRIND GRIND GRIND! That's my advice for the day lol!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:23 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I just received my motor mounts from GMC part direct. Man those things are not cheap, looks like a big ball of rubber. Anyway, I'm getting ready to mount those in a few days. Idle is super rough, my headliner adhesive detached from the roof and now makes a racket! At least I get a massage during idle. Thought cleaning throttle body and installing new plugs would take care of it but no.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.