4 wheel drive shifting on its own! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:13 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
4.2L I6 4X4
4 wheel drive shifting on its own!

This is my first time owning a 4 wheel drive vehicle.I just purchased a used 2002 Envoy and brought it in to be checked for this problem but they said they couldn't find a problem but its still happening.

First of all the dial is always set at 2 wheel drive. Then while slowing down or leaving a parking spot or going into a parking spot the light changes on its own to 4H drive. Can you imagine how hard it is to turn or how suprised I was when this first happened. Or I'm driving along and slowing down at a light and the 4H light is blinking, like its trying to engage. The 2 wheel drive only goes to 4H , not to A4 or 4L when this happens. I haven't experienced this while driving at a steady speed. Any ideas out there?

Thankyou Lisa(March)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
do a search on the 4x4 switch i think there is a fix for it
Old 03-24-2006, 04:23 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
check this one out

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=2529
Old 03-24-2006, 04:58 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
4.2L I6 4X4
Different problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03slt_soccal
I went to this thread but my problem is a little different. I'll try to explain a liitle better ...2H, A4W, 4H and 4LO all work fine. The roads are dry here(canada, hard to believe) so I leave it on 2H......then all of the sudden while slowing down or turning in or out of a parking positon the 2H light switches to 4H stays on for a few seconds and you can feel that it has engaged and it is in 4H drive(can feel the steering tightening up)..then it switches back to 2H. THis does not happen all the time it happend last night while leaving the mall . The time prior to this was around 2 weeks ago. I also looked up "4x4 switch" but that is different also.
Thanks for you suggestions...Lisa(March)
Old 03-24-2006, 05:12 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
FWIW, you may want to ask your service rep to have the vacumn actuator switch ( near the transfer case, not the one in the dash ) checked. On the older s blazers that used electronic 4x4 switches, the actuator would develop a leak, which would cause the exact symptoms you describe during low speed maneuvers which would cause a shift of the actuator assembly. You may also want to check and make sure that all the vacumn hoses are connected in your engine bay. Your comment of it only happening from a stop to turn or low speed may be the clue.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:17 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb05
FWIW, you may want to ask your service rep to have the vacumn actuator switch ( near the transfer case, not the one in the dash ) checked. ..
AFAIK, it's all electronic on the TB's. To test, put the key to on or run, you should be able to hear the electric front axle disconnect (shift on the fly actuator) buzz and click between 2wd and 4wd mode. There is also an encoder motor in the xfer case that engages/disengages the xcase output. You cant hear that one as you need to be moving for that one to work.

Joel
Old 03-25-2006, 12:15 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
4.2L I6 4X4
Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm bringing it in to be checked once again...........on Wed. March 29th.....wish me luck...

Lisa(March)
Old 04-03-2006, 09:46 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
4.2L I6 4X4
Still have not fixed the problem/new discovery

I had to cancel last Wednesday appointment but I brought it in today. Once again they checked it and still have not found the problem. The mechanic said he found this problem once before when the lights would change from 2hi to 4hi etc. but the 4 wheel drive never actually changed only these lights so they changed the transer switch and it corrected the problem. Of course I have to pay the $100 deductable.They asked me to come back tomorrow and the top guy will be in and they want me to explain everything that has been happpening with the 2hi,4hi drive etc. Funny thing when I started the truck just after they had checked it a second time I noticed all the lights flashed on, on the transfer case then went solid to 2hi which it was set at....this has never happened before as soon as I got home I looked in the manual and this as you all probably know is what is suppose to happen everytime I turn on the vehicle.I read that manual but must have missed this. Do you think they may have reset the computer controls or pulled out the fuses and put back in and now its working properly? Maybe the problem is fixed. I will mention it tomorrow to the top man that the transfer case was not lighting up like that before. I'm surprised the mechanic never saw this before...I didnt even know those lights should flash at start up. Since the problem I have only happens occasionally I would have to continue to drive until the 2hi switches to 4hi on its own to see if that problem still there and that the lights flashing at start up has actually corrected the problem...anyone want to comment on this new discovery???

thanks lisa(march)
Old 04-03-2006, 11:39 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 GMC Envoy SLT
Red Jewel Tintcoat 4.2L I6 2WD
Ask them to hook up a data recorder to your vehicle for a few days so they can record what is going on.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:53 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
4.2L I6 4X4
replaced transfer switch

well they replaced the transfer switch. so i'm hoping this has solved the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.