[SOLVED] TCCM and C0327 code - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
TCCM and C0327 code

Hi all – first time post!

Well after six fairly trouble-free years, I noticed I have the "service 4WD" light on my dash (2003 Trailblazer). After some searching on this site, I tried removing the #8 fuse, waiting, and reinstalling, but problem is still there. Next I plugged in my laptop and using HPTuners scan tool I found the following code:

[TCM] C0327 - Encoder Circuit malfunction (SES) (History) (Current) (Immature)

I've found some information that suggests the problem can be solved by replacing the TCCM. The question I have is how can you tell if the TCCM is actually bad or if the problem lies with the sensor/encoder itself? Just wanted to get some other thoughts before I start to tackle this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I don't have any specific information on the TCCM on the TB, but a general rule of thumb for automotive mechanic work is to start simple and work your way up.

I'd want to hook up a scanner (instead of just a code reader) to see if the sender is putting out a signal -- that will be the test you need to make the next step, unless you just want to try swapping parts, starting with the sender first.

I'd also recommend a transfer case fluid change, which I'm sure a few guys will suggest soon. Make sure you go to the dealer and get the approved GM oil. NOTHING else will work -- wish it did, I'm an Amsoil fan...
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Could be the encoder motor or its position feedback sensor. If you don't have access to the raw sensor data, you would have to get at the TCCM with an understanding of how it works and measure voltages. Easier to borrow a TCCM from a local buddy and see if it improves. Then borrow their encoder motor.

How is it functionally? Can you reset the TCCM with the fuse pull trick, then get from 2HI to 4HI and back without any permanently flashing mode switch lights?
Old 11-17-2009, 09:00 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried resetting the TCCM via the fuse trick, but the problem remained - in 2WD, no lights on selector switch, no control over the system, and service 4WD light on. The selector switch lights will blink when key is in on position, but then go out. I also didn't hear anything associated with the 4WD system trying to engage. I guess I'll try the local junk yards and see if I can pick up a TCCM on the cheap.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
If it turns out to be an entire transfer case, I have a spare that I'd sell.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:23 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Problem Solved!

Well I finally got around to working on my 4WD issue and I'm happy to say the problem is no more. Initially, I removed my TCCM and tested it in a friend's TB, and it worked fine so back in it went. BTW, there is an access panel on the side of the dash that gives direct access to the TCCM connectors. This makes it a breeze to connect and disconnect the TCCM connectors.

Next I took a look at my encoder motor, and as I was looking at it I noticed a broken wire just after the connector. Repaired the wire and 4WD is now working.

It appears that the wire broke due to the "end" of the plastic wire loom cover rubbing on the wire. Two wires were damaged, one broke and another had its insulation damaged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.