2006 Envoy XL dies randomly while driving - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:37 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 2WD
2006 Envoy XL dies randomly while driving

I have a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali with 51,000 miles. A couple of days ago (when we started our 1,100 mile road trip...convienient) it started dying while we are driving. It will shut off and all the dash lights turn on with the display of "Stabilitrak Off". I then have to coast to the side of the road, turn the key off, wait 5 to 15 seconds and then turn the key and it starts right back up and we are on our way. If I try and start instantly without waiting, nothing happens when I turn the key....just all the dash lights come on. No click, no nothing.

It happens at random, anywhere 8 to 175 miles between incidents, doesn't matter if I had the cruise on/off, if I was accelerating/decelerating, no items plug into accessory plug or not. It does it on city streets, when sitting idle, and when doing 75 on the freeway.......completely random.

The only code it gives is P0601. I have been told to try replacing the ignition switch or the camshaft positioning module....any input on those?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2009, 01:58 AM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The P0601 seems to be a problem with the PCM. Check and make sure that none of the connections on the PCM are loose. If it's that intermittent, pray for a lose connection. The service manual I have (2003) indicates anything from a blown fuse to a PCM reprogramming to replacing the PCM. Hopefully some one can help more. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:19 AM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOLUF1952 View Post
The P0601 seems to be a problem with the PCM. Check and make sure that none of the connections on the PCM are loose. If it's that intermittent, pray for a lose connection. The service manual I have (2003) indicates anything from a blown fuse to a PCM reprogramming to replacing the PCM. Hopefully some one can help more. Good luck.

I am not too inclined to think that it is a loose connection just for the fact that you can shake, bump, and drive the Envoy without being able to reproduce the complete randomness of this issue...and even just sitting still idling doesn't seem to factor in on when it happens. I will definitely go wiggle some wires just to be sure though. Thank you for your input.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Buick Rainier
Platinum Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
The ignition switch seems to be a problem on these cars and it's a cheap, easy fix. I'd give that a try next.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:22 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
The ignition switch is a cheap experiment you can do yourself. Everything else is a deeper dig at the dealership.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=61278
Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Had a similar problem on my 06 LT. The truck left me stranded in the parking lot of a walmart for eight hours. Car just turned off, and would'nt start back up! Called GM, and they told me to leave the battery on so the ECU could reset itself. Just gave me a dead battery! Windows wouldn't roll up or anything. The only difference, is that when the ignition went on mine, it was one and done, just didn't work anymore, no gear selection or anything just a paperweight. The truck had to be drug up onto a flatbed with the wheels locked, because it couldn't come out of park.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:18 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Update on Random dying issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
The ignition switch is a cheap experiment you can do yourself. Everything else is a deeper dig at the dealership.

Well, I installed the new ignition switch this evening. I then started the rig and after about 10 minutes it died again.....no fix. I guess I will try the camshaft position sensor and then if that doesn't work then I will let the dealership mess with it.....unless someone has any other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:47 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali XL
Dealership Called Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPile View Post
Well, I installed the new ignition switch this evening. I then started the rig and after about 10 minutes it died again.....no fix. I guess I will try the camshaft position sensor and then if that doesn't work then I will let the dealership mess with it.....unless someone has any other suggestions. Thanks.
The dealership called this morning and said that it is the PCM and that they are ordering in a new one...under warranty. It should be here Monday. Hopefully that is the end of it.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Similar Problem

I have had a similar problem with my 02 Envoy. I have had the car simply die while sitting at the light in traffic or randomly while driving down the freeway at 80 miles an hour. When this happens in mine the display panel says check brake system and the brake light comes on. After finally getting it to restart, The ABS light is on and goes off once I start driving again.

Very random (usually occurs a couple months apart) and the dealership cannot locate a problem.

Not sure what to do and VERY annoying.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
As I've posted - change the ignition switch. Cheap part, especially inthe aftermarket, and they fail often enough that it might be the root cause. Otherwise, until it fails permanently, it might one of 500 other things and hard to troubleshoot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.