Soft brake Pedal? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Brakes

Brakes Performance Brake Upgrades

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:56 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Soft brake Pedal?

I've seen many here speak of a soft brake pedal.

Well I just want to say that I had that problem and thought it was normal. Then 3 weeks ago I flushed all my brake fluid with Prestone synthetic. That alone made a big difference. I was really surprised. A week after that I replaced my brake pads and rotors with Monroe Ceramic pads and Raybestos Advanced technology rotors. I got to say that I am very very very happy with the out come.

The point I'm trying to stress here is flush your fluid! It matters!
I'm going to start doing this every year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2010, 12:18 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
soft brake pedal

Thanks Cyborg... I just completed both front and rear brakes on my '03 Trailblazer and the pedal is still really soft and travels too far in my opinion. I will try flushing the fluid and see if the result improves... Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:24 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I've seen many here speak of a soft brake pedal.

Well I just want to say that I had that problem and thought it was normal. Then 3 weeks ago I flushed all my brake fluid with Prestone synthetic. That alone made a big difference. I was really surprised. A week after that I replaced my brake pads and rotors with Monroe Ceramic pads and Raybestos Advanced technology rotors. I got to say that I am very very very happy with the out come.

The point I'm trying to stress here is flush your fluid! It matters!
I'm going to start doing this every year.

I put some TBSS Wheels on my envoy and notice right away my pedal went soft on me, I recently got my lines flushed and refilled and , no more soft brakes!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:11 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
im dumb
Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
red 4.2L I6 2WD
this is gonna sound real newbie of me. but what does "soft pedal" mean? i think i am having a problem with my brakes it gives a sound not like a squeak, but more like a spring compressing.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:24 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
It means your pedal goes down more than it should and it don't feel like you are going to stop. If you have air in your lines it will do this also and if you pump it a time or two the pedal will get firmer.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Wade View Post
im dumb
Don't know why you would say you are dumb, but welcome to the site from another Nashvillian!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:02 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I am getting a little tired of my pedal being to soft too.But the good side is no one, or my wife will drive it ,and i like that LOL.

Just wanted to know when you flushed the break lines how many bottles of Preston did it take I have 3 small bottles already ,think i need more?
Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
red 4.2L I6 2WD
ok then yes i guess i have a soft pedal, it gets firmer after two pumps, stil have the noise, so i guess i am gonna need to read up on how to "flush" brake lines. thanks for the info.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubble View Post
ok then yes i guess i have a soft pedal, it gets firmer after two pumps, stil have the noise, so i guess i am gonna need to read up on how to "flush" brake lines. thanks for the info.
That sounds like air in the lines then,You really don't have to flush the lines with air in them ,you just need to bleed the air out of the lines , .But then again that is a 2004 ,so flushing wouldn't hurt.the noise I am not sure ,some time when there is air in the lines and you are pumping the pedal you can here a springy noise that sounds like it is coming from around the pedal or from the break booster,

But bleed the lines or flush them ,if the noise is still there you can have some one check the break booster to see if that's where the noise is coming from ,,just in case it is the Diaphragm ,,,could be a small hole in it.probably not ,,,Probably just need to bleed them, and the noise could just be a squeaky pedal

If after all this and the noise is still there
Try this ,you said the breaks pump up after 2 pumps..OK turn car on ,,pump breaks 3 or 4 times till they come up as far as they will...after the forth pump hold the break down hard'''don't stand on them''' with out leaving up after the pumping,,,hold it down hard for say 10 ,,20 even 30 seconds and listen very close to see if the noise is there '''A slow steady noise'' like air is escaping. and if the break pedal is going down slowly to the floor,,if it dose ,it could be a small hole in the break booster Diaphragm..which would be under the hood on the firewall,, so someone could listen out there too while you do this,,

But it sounds like it is just air ,so don't panic about anything i wrote here...LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.