4 wheel drive not working-please help!!! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:37 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Question 4 wheel drive not working-please help!!!

My service 4 wheel drive light went on in my 2004 Trailblazer and I took it to the local dealership. They scanned it and found code c0327-encoder circuit malfunction. They tested and found encoder motor failure. Bought new encoder motor from the local auto parts store and installed it. The service 4 wheel drive light went off but the 4 wheel drive is still not working. What else do I need to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 06:52 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
A quick search of previous posts with 4WD system problems (my specialty) shows there are two questions I always ask:

1) Do you hear distinctive motor noises when changing modes?

a) There is a high pitched noise lasting about 2 seconds from the front axle actuator. This one ONLY happens when going from 2HI->A4WD and from A4WD ->2HI.

b) The encoder motor makes a lower pitched and shorter duration noise in EVERY mode transition. 2HI->A4WD, A4WD->4HI, and 4HI->4LO and the inverse of those three.

c) Going into and out of 4LO also makes a clunk, and can only happen if you're going <5 MPH and in neutral.

2) If it makes the proper motor noises and goes into 4HI mode, and you jack up and support the front end, and rotate the driver's wheel, does the passenger's wheel rotate backwards?

Other relevant questions:

3) What kind of functional test have you done that says 4WD isn't working?

4) Any other maintenance history?

5) How many miles?

6) Did you change the transfer case fluid every 50K as recommended in the Owner's Manual?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
There is no high pitch noise from the front axle actuator. The encoder motor does make the low pitch noise and going in and out of 4LO also makes a clunk. When the car is jacked up, the passenger wheel does not rotate backwards. I took the vehicle out and found out that it was spinning in the mud instead of driving right through it. The transfer case was replaced last year. We had a used one put in from a trailblazer with 30,000 miles on it. I have 110,000 miles on mine now. The transfer case fluid has been changed.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
No longer with us

You could have a bad front axle actuator. They're available on Ebay all the time. It's odd that the TCCM doesn't detect that failure though, and light up the "Service 4WD" light. I'd take the actuator out and see if it works while suspended in the air. I posted a thread about rebuilding one that just had a grease build-up on a copper PC board stripe inside. It would move, but not to the end-points, when mechanically loaded down by the spring inside the actuator mechanical assembly. When in midair it worked perfectly.

But for yours to not make a noise is very unusual. Try resetting the TCCM by pulling underhood fuse #8 for 30 seconds, then putting it back. See if the system behavior changes.

Also check rear fuse block fuse #48, that only powers the front axle actuator and the NEUTRAL mode light. Does the NEUTRAL mode work as the Owner's Manual says it should, and its light come on when expected?
Old 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
You could have a bad front axle actuator. They're available on Ebay all the time. It's odd that the TCCM doesn't detect that failure though, and light up the "Service 4WD" light. I'd take the actuator out and see if it works while suspended in the air. I posted a thread about rebuilding one that just had a grease build-up on a copper PC board stripe inside. It would move, but not to the end-points, when mechanically loaded down by the spring inside the actuator mechanical assembly. When in midair it worked perfectly.

But for yours to not make a noise is very unusual. Try resetting the TCCM by pulling underhood fuse #8 for 30 seconds, then putting it back. See if the system behavior changes.

Also check rear fuse block fuse #48, that only powers the front axle actuator and the NEUTRAL mode light. Does the NEUTRAL mode work as the Owner's Manual says it should, and its light come on when expected?
A Big Thank You to The Roadie and Trailvoy!

After our first Mi snow yesterday I found that when I flipped the switch to AWD or 4HI nothing happened. A quick search of the forum lead me to this thread, where I copied down the diagnostic steps above.
After "resetting" the TCCM by pulling fuse #8 for the 30 seconds and putting it back in, my AWD and 4HI & 4LO all are working perfectly
Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Dark Green Metallic 5.3L V8 AWD
Wow! I bookmarked this thread for sure!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:15 PM
No longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaraLT View Post
After "resetting" the TCCM by pulling fuse #8 for the 30 seconds and putting it back in, my AWD and 4HI & 4LO all are working perfectly
Thanks for the kind words. Be aware that 2002 TCCMs are notorious for failing slowly, and you may find someday that it's dead and the reset doesn't work and then you need a 2003+ TCCM to wake it up again.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
axle actuator

Wow, thanks a bunch. I had my differential replaced last year. Since then, the four wheel drive wouldn't engage fully all the time. Mostly, it would only work in Automatic 4WD.

Read this thread, went outside and pulled the fuse. Viola! Works like new.

Thanks again.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
4-wheel drive will not engage!

I have a 2002 Trailblazer EXT w/ 100k. I never had a problem with the truck's 4-wheel drive system until this winter. With the recent snow storms hitting the NE, I really needed it... During the 1st snow storm, the 4-wheel drive system worked great until the 4-wheel drive check light came on. The check light went away and never returned, but now when I flip the A4W and 4HI switch, it lights up but the system doesn't engage. It makes a whirling, grinding noise. 4Lo doesn't light up at all. Need help, any helpful suggestions or answers?
Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 PM
No longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
..when I flip the A4W and 4HI switch, it lights up but the system doesn't engage. It makes a whirling, grinding noise.
WHAT lights up? The lamp on the mode you're trying to go INTO? or the one you're coming FROM? Describe exactly what you see for blinking and steady lights and hear for noises under the vehicle, as you change mode from 2HI to A4WD, and also from A4WD to 4HI.
Quote:
4Lo doesn't light up at all. Need help, any helpful suggestions or answers?
Are you in NEUTRAL and rolling under 2 MPH or at a stop when you attempt 4LO? If so, as before, describe the lights and noises you hear. If not, check the Owner's Manual, since there's an interlock.

At 100K, you should be about to change your transfer case fluid for the second time. What's your maintenance history on the transfer case and differentials?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.