New Found Problem; Transfer Case Leak - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:20 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Unhappy New Found Problem; Transfer Case Leak

It would figure after getting under my truck to look at the cat, I discover my Transfer case is LEAKING, I suspect the seal is bad. I sprayed it down, and cleaned it, and it continues to leak from the side seal and a pretty quick rate. This is just PEACHY, I love this truck, but it's getting to the point where I would consider getting rid of her now. I'd only settle for an SS TB AWD though

Since the above dream probably won't happen, DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW what GM Man Hour's the job out to be for a Transfer Case seal? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but do NOT want to tackle a xfer case.

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2006, 02:53 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
Not sure of the man hours but I would have the dealer handle it so you have continued warranty coverage. If already out of warranty I would still stop by and let them give you a free quote, you never know they may cover the situation any way.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:29 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black w/Silverstone 2Tone 4.2L I6 2WD
When I went into the dealer about two weeks ago they also said my rear seal was seeping, they are going to fix it under my extended warranty, but I'll give you an update on the prices when I get it done. I too would settle for an AWD SS
Old 03-28-2006, 02:42 PM

There scary thing is, I am HIGHLY considering getting an SS now, only this time I wouldn't skimp out on the EXTENDED warranty. I got a 60k extended with this one, but obviously it wasn't enough.

a Brand new OEM transfercase is $1200, and probably about $300 to install. Do you guys think it would even be worth it to have a mechanic crack the case, and replace the seal on this? The amount of Labor involved might even out just replacing it!!?? A friend recommended a Jasper replacement, but I'm a sucker for OEM.

D
Old 03-28-2006, 08:33 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

4.2L I6 4X4
If it's just an output shaft seal on the xfer case, that's no biggie. The seal can be removed after they drop the front drive shaft. Make sure the vent line for the transfer case isnt plugged. A plugged vent will cause internal pressure to build & cause seal seepage. Same goes for the front/rear diffs.

G/luck
Joel
Old 03-28-2006, 10:47 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Zaino Shined Red Jewel 5.3L V8 4X4
This is why I bought a 6yr/100k bumper to bumper warranty with mine! I learned with my Jimmy that all kinds of stupid crap can go wrong that shouldn't
Old 03-31-2006, 08:37 PM

I am beside myself about the $$ I'll have to shell out.......Roughly $1650 total. It's the CASE seal that went bad......WHAT &%$!!! I almost cannot believe this. The vehicle is less then three years old......I am a Chevy diehard, but this is COMPLETE B$! Still love the truck, but am talking with 3 Dealers about an SS AWD BABY!

.................this close to having the same payment, and starting over for another 5.....WITH a 6/100k warranty.......

Having a 91 syclone, it almost seems fate......

D
Old 03-31-2006, 09:02 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Zaino Shined Red Jewel 5.3L V8 4X4
DO EET!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv6
I am beside myself about the $$ I'll have to shell out.......Roughly $1650 total. It's the CASE seal that went bad..
Did they give you a breakdown on the cost? I'd try another dealer or two for a quote and would prolly try to find a reputable trans shop to do the repair. That's inexcusable for a 3yr old truck. If that price is consistant, a TB would be the LAST thing I'd buy again. I know s--t's expensive these days, but that is rediculous.

G/luck
Joel
Old 07-03-2007, 03:25 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Transfer case

Just left a private shop about the same thing (front seal on the transfer case). Looks like ~$450 parts & labor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.