proper tire rotation - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Brakes, Suspension, Wheels and Tires > Tires

Tires Tires

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 AM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
proper tire rotation

I have an 04 LS 4X4 and my tires need to be rotated...

I've read a bunch of different articles on the proper way to do it

But which is the proper way? fronts to back, switch the front... blah blah blah... which is the best way for a 4X4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 01:18 AM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
If you are running a stock tire, rotate according to the diagram in the owners manual.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:21 AM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Fronts to back on the same side they were on (drivers front to drivers rear, same for passenger). Backs to front on opposite (drivers rear to pass. front, pass rear to driver front). You can mix in the spare, but aesthetics demand otherwise...(black rim on my spare just doesn't go well with the rims on the truck!!). But yes, follow the diagram in the manual.

And be sure to adjust the air pressure accordingly.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:53 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
From the 2003 manual - I just happened to have it open for another post.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2009, 03:50 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I think the diagram above is only good for "regular tires".

Unfortunately for me my winters are 1 directional and can only be moved forward and back.

My summers are 1 directional and the front and rears and two different sizes so I cant rotate them.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:22 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
DO NOT USE DIFFERENT SIZES ON A 4x4!!!

All tires need to be the same size, and most will argue that you cannot replace two bald tires out of 4 bald tires....need to replace all 4 to keep the outside diameter as close as possible.

When one axle turns a different speed than the other, the only weak link is the transfer case and something has to give, and will be your wallet.

But go by the diagram to answer your question.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:35 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
blood red 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcman View Post
DO NOT USE DIFFERENT SIZES ON A 4x4!!!

All tires need to be the same size, and most will argue that you cannot replace two bald tires out of 4 bald tires....need to replace all 4 to keep the outside diameter as close as possible.

When one axle turns a different speed than the other, the only weak link is the transfer case and something has to give, and will be your wallet.

But go by the diagram to answer your question.
well your kinda right... thats really only true on a AWD not so much on 4x4. and thats only if your changing tires with more then a 4/32 difference in tread depth. but yes you are right if you have an awd and only replace anything lesss then 4 at a time you can do some serious damage to your vehicle. im an assistant manager at a Discount Tire here in houston and i have this conversations with Audi fans all the time. but as far as tire size goes yes you are right. if your tires are different sizes such as a staggard fitted vehicle they cannot be rotated... but im sure everyone knew that one.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:46 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Honestly I believe it depends on the center differential, in the case of the envoy, TB etc, they use a transfer case, others use a fluid differential which would allow for some slip.

I haven't been inside our transfer cases but I believe it's a mechanical linkage and different tire sizes would cause catastrophic failure.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:57 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
My summer set up is 265/50/20 and 295/45/20 not that much difference.

Just follow the manual and you will be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.