Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Climate Control Light Bulb Fix - How To

77K views 37 replies 24 participants last post by  Cowdude 
#1 · (Edited)
I couldn't find a good how-to for fixing the climate control light, so I took some pic's when I replaced mine.

Here's how I did it:

Remove the climate control module from the car. See other threads here on how to remove the dash.
Remove the 2 screws on the white tabs that hold the unit in the dash. <Image Below>

Remove the 2 electrical connectors from the back of the unit (1 Blue, 1 Black)

Remove the 2 round control knobs and the 2 slider knobs. <Image Below>

Remove the 4 small black screws from the back corners of the unit. <Image Below>
IIRC this is an SAE size nut.
Do not touch the screws on the black connector.

Pull the front (black) 1/2 of the housing from the back (white) 1/2 of the housing.
Once the black front is off you will see the circuit board. <Image Below>
You will see the light bubs to the right and left of the slider. <Red Arrow>
Press the white retaining clips to release the circuit board.

Flip the circuit board over and find the (2) terminals for the Bulb <Image Below>

I used Chem-wik to remove the solder from the terminals.
Once the terminal is de-soldered, remove the burnt out bulb.

Here is the replace bulb package from Radio Shack <Image Below>
Part # 272-1154

Install the bulb in the circuit board and resolder.
Put climate control unit back together and re-install.

See less See more
#8 ·
I couldn't find a good how-to for fixing the climate control light, so I took some pic's when I replaced mine.

Here's how I did it:
Perfect timing! :hail: I have to replace the stepper motors in the Instrument Cluster and I am going to fix my climate control light at the same time. I'm ordering the stepper motors and bulbs from eBay today. Thanks for the great writeup.

#10 ·
Long story short, I destroyed two A/C controllers trying to take the Sliding Control Knobs off (Item 4 in the drawing). Three of four rheostat sliders disintegrated. Now I'm buying a new controller from the dealership because the salvage yard doesn't have any more available. Good luck with yours.

Attachments

#12 ·
I was very careful. I tried using my fingers first, then pliers, and finally a fork. I applied constant pressure, but I ruined three sliders regardless. Just out of curiosity, after the shaft separated from the slider, I used pliers to grip the shaft and knob. I was able to take the knob off of the shaft, but it took a lot of pulling. Fat lot of good it did me.

I located a used controller in Florida. The guy wants $12.99 for it. It would cost me about $125 to ship it FedEx to UAE in about 3 days. USPS would be about $60 for 6 - 10 days. I don't have that kind of time so I'm buying one from the dealer for about $160, which is a good price because Compnine lists it for $281.

AC-Direct sells new controllers for $105. Both the used and new controllers can be found on mySimon.com, which is part of Amazon.com. There is only one used controller. The best way to find it is to search for AC Delco #15-73227. The latest GM part number is 29545046.

Good luck with fixing your light. It has been a real pain for me because of the knobs.

#13 ·
Can someone give me a sanity check? The red/blue indicators (behind the sliding control knobs) on my faceplate light up on both sides. The sliding control knobs do not light up. I'm pretty sure that these use to, but now I am questoning myself. Looking at these pics, it appears that the same bulbs would light both. Are these sliding control knobs suppose to light up? If so, my do not. Any ideas? :confused: Thanks

#18 ·
I was able to remove the temperature dials by just pulling on them and carefully working them off.

The driver side temperature backlight failed, but I replaced both driver and passenger side backlights, believing that if one went out, the other may not have been far behind.

#19 ·
My passenger side slider is dark. I smacked it and it came back on :p but a few days later it went dark again, this time permanently.

I'm just going to convert to LED (gauge cluster also) but I'm waiting until I figure out how best to get it apart without busting the sliders and also waiting on money and time. Other, more important things want the cash and I can live with the dark slider for now since I can still get an idea of where it is set at. And during the summer it is always at the lowest setting anyway!

#20 ·
My passenger side slider is dark. I smacked it and it came back on :p but a few days later it went dark again, this time permanently.

I'm just going to convert to LED (gauge cluster also) but I'm waiting until I figure out how best to get it apart without busting the sliders and also waiting on money and time. Other, more important things want the cash and I can live with the dark slider for now since I can still get an idea of where it is set at. And during the summer it is always at the lowest setting anyway!
:undecided Here's an option... :coffee

How not to break the sliders in your manual HVAC

#22 ·
Yeah, it's about as unconventional as you can get, I'll admit that. I considered filling the holes with black silicone, but since they are always side by side, you can't see the holes once it's put back together. Some people get lucky and their sliders cooperate so they can just pull them off. I wonder if theirs have the little metal teeth on them like mine (and the replacement I had to buy) did.

#23 ·
A thread that will never die :p

Hey guys just wondering does the electronic climate control use the same part number from Radio Shack? I was gonna go for leds but if i'm gonna do that I gotta do everything.

Gotta baby that just arrived :D:D so no time for that just now! :) (sorry to disappoint you blckshdw!!) :worried:

P.s I also gotta old cluster that doesn't work, could I unsolder the bulbs from their and use them for the HVAC controller? are they the same? Thanks!:D

#24 ·
Hey guys just wondering does the electronic climate control use the same part number from Radio Shack? I was gonna go for leds but if i'm gonna do that I gotta do everything.

Gotta baby that just arrived :D:D so no time for that just now! :) (sorry to disappoint you blckshdw!!) :worried:

P.s I also gotta old cluster that doesn't work, could I unsolder the bulbs from their and use them for the HVAC controller? are they the same? Thanks!:D
:confused: So which one do you have? The manual sliders, or the digital control? The cluster bulbs are different, you can't use them in anything else, I don't think.

Congrats on the new baby! :woot: :grouphug: You get a pass on the LEDs (for now :laugh:)

#30 ·
Does anyone know the specs for the bulbs with the blue covers? They are not the same as the bulbs for the sliders, and Radio Shack does not carry anything that is close to the size or voltage.
Don't know the exact specs, but as long as the bulb is for a 12V DC application, and you can get the connections soldered to the board, that's all that really matters. :m2:

#31 ·
LEDs on board

Does anyone know what the part numbers or spec would be for the three LEDs on the Auto climate control board?

I have 10 of the 11 light bulbs out and all three LEDs out on the Auto climate control board. I can get one off of Ebay for around $70, althought it's used and it may have burned out lights or LEds as well.

#34 ·
I just did mine with 6 blue LEDs and 2 whites. Mine are soldered to the grounds only and powered off of the 12v supply through one 47 ohm 2 watt resistor. The blues are awesome, but I haven't seen the sliders in the dark yet. The sliders are pretty easy to get off if you are patient. Make sure to grab it at the side with the "fader" and squeeze it while putting a little pressure on it. Do it the first time with it in the dash. I did mine with the truck completely together and had no issues. It's like Volvo shift knobs. Everyone fights with them in the drivers seat and with all manner of tools, but all it takes is the right technique, which is passenger seat and firm constant pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.