Replace Radio/CD in 2004 Trailblazer LT - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Audio and Electronics

Audio and Electronics Discuss car audio, video, navigation, alarms, and other electronics here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:48 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Replace Radio/CD in 2004 Trailblazer LT

Hi,

New to the Forum, apologies if this is a redundant thread. I would like to replace my stock radio/cd as the disk is stuck and won't eject. Pried the old one out, but new disks get stuck as well, so I want to move on with a new system.

1) Is it easy/cheap to just replace with stock part given that I have 95K miles. WHo supplies them at low cost?

2) Noticed discussions about Bose radio system and problems with aftermarket radio installs. How exactly do I determine if I have the Bose product, is it easily identifiable versus the non-Bose. Is it identified by 6 speakers?

3) Assuming I don't have the Bose and wish to pursue aftermarket radio, can anyone recommend how to de-install the old radio, install the new one, and locate the right wiring harness so my door chimes, OnStar and other stuff works properly. By the way my OnStar is not operational from a payed service perspective. Don't use it.

This site is great, I am already using it to replace stepper motors in my dash cluster. Hopefully I will have a working speedometer guage and play CD's other media in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Buick Rainier
Platinum Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1 View Post
Hi,

New to the Forum, apologies if this is a redundant thread. I would like to replace my stock radio/cd as the disk is stuck and won't eject. Pried the old one out, but new disks get stuck as well, so I want to move on with a new system.

1) Is it easy/cheap to just replace with stock part given that I have 95K miles. WHo supplies them at low cost?

2) Noticed discussions about Bose radio system and problems with aftermarket radio installs. How exactly do I determine if I have the Bose product, is it easily identifiable versus the non-Bose. Is it identified by 6 speakers?

3) Assuming I don't have the Bose and wish to pursue aftermarket radio, can anyone recommend how to de-install the old radio, install the new one, and locate the right wiring harness so my door chimes, OnStar and other stuff works properly. By the way my OnStar is not operational from a payed service perspective. Don't use it.

This site is great, I am already using it to replace stepper motors in my dash cluster. Hopefully I will have a working speedometer guage and play CD's other media in the future.
1) Try eBay, or go aftermarket (I recommend the latter)
2) The Bose radio says "Bose" on the face
3) Depends...do you have Bose? Are you looking to just have the radio's internal low-power amp drive the speakers or do you want to install a separate amp?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 AM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
no amp for now, just drive the existing speakers.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
no amp for now, just drive the existing speakers.
i found it was cheaper just to go with aftermarket cd player, FACTORY REPLACEMENT WAS LIKE 400 bucks. u can replace with aftermarket for way cheaper
Old 01-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
i just replaced my stock stereo in my 04 lt and it cost me 60 bucks for a new wiring harness and 20 for a dash kit and a lil over 400 for a new cd/stereo just thought id give you a lil idea of what it would cost
Old 01-14-2010, 07:54 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblazin89 View Post
i just replaced my stock stereo in my 04 lt and it cost me 60 bucks for a new wiring harness and 20 for a dash kit and a lil over 400 for a new cd/stereo just thought id give you a lil idea of what it would cost
i have done upgraded all of mine, i just hardwired it
Old 01-14-2010, 07:58 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Ok, my radio looks like this and the link has it for ~239USD. Will explore more pricing options.

http://replacementradios.com/popup_image.php?pID=101

So, if I go the Kenwood or Alpine route instead, where do I find info on taking the old radio out and installing the new one, along with the wiring harnesses and stuff I need to do the job. Any pointers from those that have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am adding steeping motors to fix my speedometer, can all of this be done at the same time? How much of the dash requires removal.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Ok, my radio looks like this and the link has it for ~239USD. Will explore more pricing options.

http://replacementradios.com/popup_image.php?pID=101

So, if I go the Kenwood or Alpine route instead, where do I find info on taking the old radio out and installing the new one, along with the wiring harnesses and stuff I need to do the job. Any pointers from those that have done this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am adding steeping motors to fix my speedometer, can all of this be done at the same time? How much of the dash requires removal.
the12volt.com has wiring schematics, and only center of dash snaps off i think had 2 screws no major prob. i found that best buy had wiring harnesses but i am to cheap to buy stuff if i can change it myself
Old 01-14-2010, 08:43 PM

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
aftermarket radio

Ok, this is what I have on the list:

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_5...&tp=5684&avf=Y

and this

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMOS....html?tp=29774

what else do I need? Some kind of faceplate or does this work which is included with the Crutchfield package:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1209920...t.html?tp=3121
Old 01-15-2010, 07:40 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Black Other AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea-Nicole View Post
only center of dash snaps off i think had 2 screws no major prob.
Trailblazer is different and you need to take off the whole dash faceplate. Here's a how to: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=6459

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.