Battery age?, how to change - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:26 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Battery age?, how to change

OK guys. Iwas thinking about it.
I think its time to change my battery before im stranded somewhere.
It has not given me any problems yet. Its the Original factory battery thats been in there since at least Aug of 2002. so that makes it about 44 months old..... so its about time for a change. (by the way whats the battery life rated at on these factory batts?).

Ok, so for you who have changed batteries- I think theres a bar that has to be removed so the battery comes out.. but what else? any tips or tricks?

any of you have trouble losing engine control settings? or is it as simple as take out and put in?
Ive heard stories on some of the trucks and passenger cars/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2006, 01:39 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2005 GMC Envoy Denali
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
If you got 44 mo that is real good life. Some start leaking way before that. Remove battery cables, battery cover and bar. There may be a hold down at bottom of battery. Loosten if it is present. Pull old battery out. Check for any leaking battery acid. If no leaks install new.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:39 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Go for it! ... Your factory battery is on borrowed time, they usually give up the ghost shortly after the 36 month warranty. Mine went south pretty much w/o warning at around 41 months.

Change out is pretty simple, you unbolt the support bar/strut and remove the battery cables. (Neg first to avoid accidents). Lift off the cover and loosen the hold-down bolt.....its not necessary to fully remove it, just lossen it and slide the battery forward and lift out.

Reverse the procedure for installing the new battery. - Takes about 15 minutes of time, if you have the wrenches handy.

If you just want a good battery, Wal-Mart's Everstart-Maxx series ($59) was CR best buy and fits under the cover. Also comes with 2 or 3 years of roadside assistance and free replacement.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:47 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
4.2L I6 4X4
I've had factory batteries last 5yrs+ without issue, but it's not worth pushing it. Just use caution if you are using an all metallic wrench on that positive battery terminal. If you hit the wrench on anything metal (ground it out) bad electrical things can happen! There was a recent post floating around in regards to this. Blown BCM was the result IIRC.

Joel
Old 03-31-2006, 02:03 PM

2005 Buick Rainier
Black 5.3L V8 2WD
If you haven't been removing and cleaning terminals once a year, you might have a problem removing the positive terminal from the battery.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
hopefully i have no trouble with that + terminal.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:33 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomike
If you haven't been removing and cleaning terminals once a year, you might have a problem removing the positive terminal from the battery.
Hey good tip. The GM posts can be a farging nightmare! They will cross-thread nice & easy too. I wonder if never-seize or silicone grease would be good to put on the post threads?!?

Joel
Old 03-31-2006, 02:46 PM
Basic Vendor- DRL Killer

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 4.2L I6 2WD
[I]Just use caution if you are using an all metallic wrench on that positive battery terminal. [/I] That's why you disconnect the negative side first. That way even if you do slip and touch sonmething metal while taking off the + side, it won't make a complete circuit and short out.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:03 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer SS
Red Jewel Tintcoat 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
I have an '02 also and we just changed the battery last week - it was completely dead. You're wise to do it before it's too late!
Old 03-31-2006, 03:17 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Wow, thats a pretty low age for a battery, must be junky. My factory battery in my 1998 Mustang is actually still working.... 154k miles and 8 years later....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.