How Long Do These Engines Last? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > The Lounge > TrailBlazer / Envoy Chat

TrailBlazer / Envoy Chat The TrailBlazer and Envoy Owners and Enthusiast lounge. (no tech questions)

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
How Long Do These Engines Last?

I have a 2003 Trailblazer and love it. I have been on this forum a few times. Outside of a few minor things and regular wear and tear this thing has been rock solid. Best car I have owned so far. I still owe about 33 payments on it and have 130k on it at this time. I want to keep it for another 4 to 5 years but I am concerned it may not last this long. How much do you think I wil lgt out of it I do change the oil every 3 to 5k and I dont run her too hard.

I would love to get another one after a year or 2 after I pay this one off or once it kicks the bucket. I get around 18 mpg and that wont cut it. Would love to get another Trailblazer if the newer ones are made as good and get over 20 mpg.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
TrailVoy Guru

Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
152,xxx here.
and I do 11,500 miles oil changes on dino oil.

no issues with alternators or PS pump etc.
I think if something goes wrong it will be the tranny or water pump--- but not the engine.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:16 PM

2002 SAAB 9-7x
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 2WD
I'm on my second TB. Only got rid of the previous one (2002 TB with 128k miles on it) due to an antifreeze smell that the dealer couldn't find the cause for. Wife wouldn't ride in it anymore.

Since it was our long distance traveling car I just opted to get into another one. Never had any real problems with the first one and I plan on driving this one until the wheels fall off.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off. The only major problem that I had was the water pump, 10,000 miles ago. Keep up with regular maintenance and I will expect 300,000 or more. At 112,020 now.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Northwest Chapter

not here not here not here
not here Other AWD
114,9xx on my 02. Replaced the power steering pump because I sheared the input shaft off it due to doughnuts (dumb 16yr old me), regular maintenance is it besides my performance mods. It will stay in the family until either the parents sell it or I can buy it from them.

My SS will stick with me for years to come, I will drive the wheels off it.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 AM

Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm at 172,000 miles and it runs as good as it did with 25,000 miles. I have yet to replace my original water pump, alternator, PS pump, A/C compressor, transmission. This is what we all want, dependable and durable safe transportation and utility. I love V-8's and own two very nice cars with them but i would not want to trade my I-6. This is the smoothest and best balanced inline six ever made and should last several 100,000 miles with good care and maintenance. As far as oil goes I am running Mobil 1 5w-30, it start smoother in the cold climate i live in.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:21 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Majestic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kflo View Post
I do change the oil every 3 to 5k and I dont run her too hard.
Thoughts?
What about both the differentials, transfer case, transmission, coolant, brake fluid, splined disconnect, etc? There is more than just changing the oil if you wish to keep it for a long time. Someone on this board has 230,000 miles or so on the clock.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:38 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 4X4

You should be able to get 400k out of the motor without any problems. That said, any motor can blow at any time. But the odds are it will last and last and last--outlasting the rest of the truck.

But stop throwing your money away on excessive oil and filter changes. Every 10,000 miles is fine for most everyone with an I6 (my 5.3 goes 9k with the kind of driving it sees), unless you are experiencing severe duty conditions.

Basic maintenance is critical to any vehicle, and these trucks are no exception. If you take care of your truck, it will take care of you.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:56 AM

2002 Olds Bravada
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
I have a 02 olds bravada with 160,000 and havent changed anything but my belt and plugs......only major problems i've had was my front differential locked up on me while i was driving down the highway.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm running Amsoil synthetic in mine, and if typical, I'll see WAY over 300K miles before it even starts to use oil.

I'm at 100K now and it runs great. I have replaced the transmission, rear axle bearings and seals, brakes and rotors, front unit-bearing hubs, rear u-joints, spark plugs, t-stat, and did a PCM for Less tune, True Flow CAI, and a resonater delete. Not bad in my estimation, considering that some of those miles were towing an 8000# off-road vehicle/car-hauler trailer load across country (reason for my transmission and rear axle issues).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.