Annoying tailgate ajar won't quit going off on 04 gmc envoy xuv - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Question Annoying tailgate ajar won't quit going off on 04 gmc envoy xuv

Yesterday while driving for no apparent reason the tailgate ajar alarm started going off, door hasnt been opened in months well since winter started. I've tried opening and closing etc., and it still continues to go off. I tried opening the roof and rolling down the rear window but now my rear window is stuck rolled down. so annoying, I cant find out any information. i've searched everywhere but no one seems to be having the same problem as I am having. please help, is there perhaps a way to "fool" the car into thinking the door is closed so the "tailgate ajar" warning ding will stop? my drive to and from work are both 40minute drive and the dinging is really annoying lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I can look for the schematics if you want to dig into the tailgate and clip a wire, but if you can get into that area you might as well lubricate the latch sensor that's causing the chime.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:25 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiven View Post
Yesterday while driving for no apparent reason the tailgate ajar alarm started going off, door hasnt been opened in months well since winter started. I've tried opening and closing etc., and it still continues to go off. I tried opening the roof and rolling down the rear window but now my rear window is stuck rolled down. so annoying, I cant find out any information. i've searched everywhere but no one seems to be having the same problem as I am having. please help, is there perhaps a way to "fool" the car into thinking the door is closed so the "tailgate ajar" warning ding will stop? my drive to and from work are both 40minute drive and the dinging is really annoying lol.
I have most of the information that you would need to troublleshoot the tailgate if you wanting to jump in and figure it out. PM me with your email and I will send it out to you
Old 02-05-2010, 03:14 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Fixing it is preferred, but I just can't seem to figure out if one lathch is causing it or the other, of for that matter if it's both. Nothing I've tried seems to work. Just when i think I figured it out, Im wrong. As of today I can't get it to open like a truck, but it will swing open. The middle pressure switch doesn't do anything, no clicking or motor running.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:32 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Quote:
Fixing it is preferred, but I just can't seem to figure out if one lathch is causing it or the other, of for that matter if it's both. Nothing I've tried seems to work. Just when i think I figured it out, Im wrong. As of today I can't get it to open like a truck, but it will swing open. The middle pressure switch doesn't do anything, no clicking or motor running.
OK perfect It sounds like its the pressure switch coorision issue to me. Search in this site under XUV tailgate. eIowa-o has done a write up on how to rebuild the switches, but I recommend that you replace them with new ones one at a time. I had similar issue to what you describe and it was the pressure switch. Once you pull it off you can see the corrosion bleeding out of the switch. The coorosion shorts out the switch and totally screws the logic in the Body control module.

They are cheap, like 20$ each although you will need to order them. the part number is 15101543. I bought mine online from Crown Cadillac. 17$ plus shipping. Same P/N for both switches.

As I said you could try resetting the body control module by disconnecting the battery for a half hour, however you said that your glass was down so I hesitate to say its completely safe. Alll the sensors, switches and latches are linked by Class II communication and I think that if some parameters are voilated that you might need to have the BCM reflashed at the dealer.

Unless you get that glass in the home position against the roof I would only do the reset as a last resort. Given the situation you may have already reached the breaking point!

I see that you are in Ohio. The Harsh winters screw the pressure switches up as well as the latch sensors. All the misery is worth it. The XUV is the best vehicle ever created
Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
That it is! I love my XUV!
until the switch arrives, would you know of a way that i could "trick" the car into thinking that the tailgate is up? like disconnecting a wire or a fuse or something? Normally i wouldnt mind, but the dinging every five seconds even with the radio turned up is quite nerve racking especially have a 40 minute drive back and forth to work The first time that I wish that the car wasnt so darn "smart" LoL
Old 02-05-2010, 10:04 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Quote:
until the switch arrives, would you know of a way that i could "trick" the car into thinking that the tailgate is up? like disconnecting a wire or a fuse or something? Normally i wouldnt mind, but the dinging every five seconds even with the radio turned up is quite nerve racking especially have a 40 minute drive back and forth to work The first time that I wish that the car wasnt so darn "smart" LoL
if you have cleaned the latches the only other quick way would be that Body control moduile reset which is about due if the glass is back up
Old 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
tyyyyyyy
Old 02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
No longer with us

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
I think there is way to lower the tone of it (wear earplugs, turn up your favourite music)

Try
Press and hold pushbutton 6 with ignition on and radio power off
Old 02-16-2010, 05:39 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XUV
Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
I can look for the schematics if you want to dig into the tailgate and clip a wire, but if you can get into that area you might as well lubricate the latch sensor that's causing the chime.
Hey Roadie, can you upload Powerpoint Presentations to the forum? I want to upload my XUV liftgate diagnosis and repair thesis to the forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ajar, ding, tailgate, window

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.