Headlight connector keeps melting? - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Appearance > Exterior

Exterior Exterior

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Headlight connector keeps melting?

I have a 2002 trailBlazer LTZ, the connectors for the low beams keep melting. I have replaced the left one at least twice and have just replaced the right one. I replace the lamps each time with Wagner 9006 lamps. The original connector wiring is only 20 gauge, the new (after market connectors are 14 gauge). It seems like the bulbs are drawing to much current to actually melt the plastic of the connector? Could it be that the grounds are bad or poor quality replacement lamps or just the wires of the original connectors are just not heavy enough to carry the current? I noticed another incident of this posted on "MyCarStats.com". Is this an issue that Chevy is aware of I have not seen any recalls for this. I know there was an issue and recall on the tail light assemblies, which I have had done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 08:50 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
A bad ground would generate heat at the ground connection, and not affect the bulb socket. If anything, heat generated at the ground would REDUCE the potential heat that could be generated at the socket. Best suggestion if you're already using aftermarket harnesses is to add bulb grease to the socket to try to reduce any oxidation in there - oxidation increases the resistance of the connection, and that's what generates heat. Increased tightness of the socket reduces resistance, if you can pinch it together before inserting the lamp.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:44 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Front Right Headlight

I have replaced my front right headlight month after month. Have you figured anything out. I did notice that the plastic connector seems to be a bit melted as well. Additionally, my right rear running light and brake light burns out just about as regularly. Please let me know if you figure anything out. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:58 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Headlight connectors

I suspect the issue is with the quality of the lamps. I seem to have more problems with Wagner 9006's. As for the connectors, I have replaced the left one twice; the first time with an OEM connector, the second time was an after market connector with heavier gauge wire and a different material of the connetor itself. I just replaced the R/h headlamp and connector. The original factory connector, made of a hard white plastic was also melted, so I replaced it with the aftermarket connector ( just splice in and I reccommend either good quality sealed connectors or apply heat shrink over "butt" splices) the new aftermarket connectors seem to be working better. This is the reason I joined this forum to see how many people were having this same issue with head lamps and connectors, it seems rather prevelant. As for the rear light, there was a recall or campaign to replace the whole tail light assembly. I have had the assemblies replaced on my 2002 TB and have not had a single issue since. I did have some problems with the tail lights before the replacement. I hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:09 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
I have been battling this issue for a couple of years now. I have changed to aftermarket connectors as well, and i also have burnt a couple of those up too. They did seem to last longer though. About six months ago i changed to sylvania silverstars and have good luck with them. Havent had any more burnt conectors yet... knock on wood
Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Fire Red 4.2L I6 4X4
2002 Trailblazer Headlight melting

I am having the same issue dose anyone have a fix.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Arrow 2004 Envoy heas light sockets melting

I found ceramic headlight sockets with 14 ga wire.I put them in a year agow and have not had a proyblem sense.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:41 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Summit White 5.3L V8 4X4
2005 head lamp connetor melting

I have the same issue with the lamp socket (which looks like a connector) melting. The fix the dealer gave me was to purchase a whole new headlamp assembly. $200 for non-GM.
Could it be the relay going bad and putting current into the bulb constantly?
Usually when the relay goes bad both head lights go out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.