poor gas mileage - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
poor gas mileage

I have noticed that my 2006 trailblazer gas mileage as been really poor lately. I average 14 mpg lately. Everything seems to be running smooth with that exception. I had a check engine light come on of P0506 I believe and it was about low RPMs. I read around and it seemed to be that I needed to clean the TB. I did that and everything seemed to be fine. The light went off and the erratic engine idling and lights seemed to go away and run smooth. The only concern now is why my gas mileage has been so poor lately. At least 4 MPG less than I was getting just 4 months ago. If anyone could give me some insight that would be most helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
How many miles? How about maintenance items like air filter, tire inflation? Then
look at the gas you're using. Winterized gas tends to decrease MPG.

A fuel system cleaner might not be a bad idea.

Also, what's your temp gauge reading? It can below without throwing a code,
and will start killing mileage while running cold.

Got a scanner that can read real time data? Perhaps a lazy O2 sensor
is causing some problems.

Good Luck!

Chris
Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 PM

I have 55k miles and just changed the air filter and ran some fuel injector cleaner. Tire pressure is at 37 and TB has just been cleaned. I know the winter fuel can cause a drop in fuel economy, but would it drop it 4 MPG? I just purchased it in May so this is my first winter with it. I guess I am just wondering if a 4 MPG drop is to be expected.

Temp is running steady at 210
Old 02-14-2010, 10:51 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancour4 View Post
I have 55k miles and just changed the air filter and ran some fuel injector cleaner. Tire pressure is at 37 and TB has just been cleaned. I know the winter fuel can cause a drop in fuel economy, but would it drop it 4 MPG? I just purchased it in May so this is my first winter with it. I guess I am just wondering if a 4 MPG drop is to be expected.

Temp is running steady at 210
I would say yes. Seeing as how you are back east I'm sure you are letting the engine warm up a little longer. Just remember - every minute you are idling is ZERO MPG. I lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul area for several years, so I'm well aware of the morning ritual of warming up a vehicle especially if they are stored outside.
The cold air and the road conditions DO play a big role in reducing MPG.
That being said, even here in San Diego where the climate is relatively mild, I still use a little more gas in all my vehicles but especially the TB.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it until spring time comes. If your MPG doesn't return to normal then I would start to worry!

Edit: Hate to rub it in - but it was 80 degrees here today and it's suppose to be about the same for the next day or two.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I figured my mpg has dropped around 2-3 for the winter.

Done the 50K service? Check the drivetrain fluids, especially
the transfer case. If any are low, that could affect the mileage
slightly as well. O2 sensor could still be an issue, if you can
see the live data for it. They can get lazy and not throw a code.

37 psi in the tires? Is that what your specs call for? Just curious.

Cheers-

Chris
Old 02-14-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo829 View Post

37 psi in the tires? Is that what your specs call for? Just curious.
The tires call for 38. Seems a little high IMO but I've yet to blow a tire so I'm going with it. Due for new tires soon anyways.

Thanks again everyone.

P.S. I don't warm my vehicle up in the morning. Just about 30 seconds or so before I get going.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:19 PM

2006 GMC Envoy Denali
Magnetic Red Metallic 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancour4 View Post
The tires call for 38. Seems a little high IMO but I've yet to blow a tire so I'm going with it. Due for new tires soon anyways.

Thanks again everyone.

P.S. I don't warm my vehicle up in the morning. Just about 30 seconds or so before I get going.
You may not let the vehicle warm up very much (this is OK if you drive easy until warm) however the engine is still cold and the ECM puts a rich mixture into the system until the engine gets up to operating temp. You should try this at -40 and see how your gas mileage plummets--until spring.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:52 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
The tire pressure on the side of the tire is maximum pressure. The pressure called for, is listed on the edge of the drivers door.

Has the snow been really bad this year in your area? That really hurts mileage also.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:47 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 Olds Bravada
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEnvoyDenali View Post
You may not let the vehicle warm up very much (this is OK if you drive easy until warm) however the engine is still cold and the ECM puts a rich mixture into the system until the engine gets up to operating temp. You should try this at -40 and see how your gas mileage plummets--until spring.
Very true. Your PCM basically dumps fuel into the engine and changes shift points in the tranny to higher RPM's in it's attempt to warm up the engine faster. I would say let it sit until the needle goes under 1000 RPM and that would be a decent time to start moving.

And winter fuel blends really do kill the fuel economy on these trucks. I get 16 MPG highway and city, 18 if I don't drive over 60 MPH, whereas I use to get 18-20 easily. A light foot helps when it comes to driving efficiently. keep shifts under 3000 RPM, 2500 if you can, it'll help.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.