P0340 code - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:49 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
P0340 code

Hi, guys. This website is great and would like to thank all you guys with your helpful info. I have a '03 Envoy with the 4.2L and I keep getting Po340 camshaft position sensor A Circuit(Bank 1 or single semsor circuit malfunction). What do I have to do to fix this? Also cleaned my throttle body and ever since my cruise doesn't work. Checked connections and fuses all seem good. Hope I don't have replace throttle body. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 02:46 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I would certainly throw a $20 cam position sensor at the problem. I just posted pics on how I changed mine. 10mm socket and that's it.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=70014

Having a SES light and a code like that will suppress the cruise control. GM designed that as an annoyance factor to make sure you're motivated to fix the SES code.

If the throttle body was messed up to the point that you needed to replace it, it would throw other codes AND put you into Reduced Engine Power mode and you'd barely be able to limp home.

I gotta ask: The exact code is P0340, not Po340 (I'll edit your title to help future searchers.) Did you search for either of these terms? "P0340" comes up in 38 threads.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks for the pic on the sensor. It looks very simple to change out. I will be changing it out later today and hopefully my cruise will work again. I put an "O" instead of a zero in my search and thats why I did not get all the posts. Will remember that with the next trouble code.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Onyx Black 4.2L I6 4X4
problem fixed!

Thanks, Roadie. Changed out sensor and engine code is gone and my cruise works again.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I just got my oil changed and this code popped up.

I went to this link

It appears the sensor is easy to see, but my when I looked on my 02 Envoy that sensor is not there.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
Black 6.0L LS2 V8 AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by the roadie View Post
I would certainly throw a $20 cam position sensor at the problem. I just posted pics on how I changed mine. 10mm socket and that's it.

Having a SES light and a code like that will suppress the cruise control. GM designed that as an annoyance factor to make sure you're motivated to fix the SES code.

If the throttle body was messed up to the point that you needed to replace it, it would throw other codes AND put you into Reduced Engine Power mode and you'd barely be able to limp home.

I gotta ask: The exact code is P0340, not Po340 (I'll edit your title to help future searchers.) Did you search for either of these terms? "P0340" comes up in 38 threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando78 View Post
Thanks for the pic on the sensor. It looks very simple to change out. I will be changing it out later today and hopefully my cruise will work again. I put an "O" instead of a zero in my search and thats why I did not get all the posts. Will remember that with the next trouble code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando78 View Post
Thanks, Roadie. Changed out sensor and engine code is gone and my cruise works again.
it is chain of events like these is why this site is so useful..............far less headaches on vehicle repair
Old 07-09-2010, 04:02 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I was wrong

I was blind in one eye and could not see out of the other.

Repair complete. Cost was 35 plus tax for the part.

Huge Thank You.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:11 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Medium Sage Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
rough idle and stalls

My Envoy just started the up/down idle and stall upon a stop. My Wife had the CES light come on and I checked the codes and came up with the P0340 code, Camshaft Position Sensor A circuit. I cleared it. Drove around for about an hour and the symptoms got worse. (computer trying to reset?) Is the cure the Camshaft Position Sensor? Saw where the location is on this site. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:27 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Fire Red 4.2L I6 4X4
Cam Sensor replacement

Mine is doing the same. Will try the oil change first; then the sensor. There is a lot of forum discussion in other threads on a CASE Relearn when changing either the sensor or the Exhaust Cam Actuator Solenoid (another problem part associated with the idle/stall issue).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.