Replace Transfer Case - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 5.3L V8 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Replace Transfer Case

My 02 Trailblazer LT ran into a 4x4 problem around Christmas, and has been out of commission since. A friend of a friend mechanic put it on a lift, and says that it needs the transfer case replaced . I tend to believe him, because he says he can't do it. What does it take to replace the TC, how many hours and about what cost should I expect from a local garage, and is it even feasible to attempt this myself? Is there any way to "lock" it into 2hi and forget 4x4 for now? Thanks for your help!

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 08:16 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I had to replace mine about a year ago. It was around 900 to replace. The price depends if you buy new or used also. That included labor.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM

trailblazer Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
removal

its easy!!!!!! get you some jack stands, crawl under drain the fluid, pop them drive axles out, get a jack or a buddy to help support while you take the bolts out and slide the trans case backwards off transmission and your done. it took me about 2 hrs. and to install is reverse order. and get you some autotrac 2 qrts, it will take some creativity to get that in the trans case.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:41 PM

trailblazer Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
removal cont

you will also need to disconnect wire harness. and disconnect wire harness from sensors. you will see them on the trans case
Old 03-01-2010, 11:33 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
If you can find a good used one it is not that costly, if you do it yourself. Leave the adapter collar on the transmission though. You will get a small amount of transmission fluid that will come out when you unbolt it. You should replace the gasket between them. Also watch out when you remove the front driveshaft, the bearing cups may fall off the universal joint. To fill the transfercase with fresh fluid, use a suction gun or fill an oil can with a pump handle. It takes awhile with the oil can but it works, as there is not room to use a funnel.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:12 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
What exactly were your failure symptoms? Just making certain your FOAF diagnosed it properly. 2002 were notorious for TCCM failures, and there are other electrical possibilities.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks guys! Roadie, it's making a grinding/whirring as wheel speed picks up. It actually, after a month of no driving, kicked out to where it wasn't making the noise. Then, as my buddy was trying to help me diagnose it even further, put it back into 4wd and it immediately started making the noise again. The front differential has a leak, and was pretty much dry as when I figured out what was going on, so that probably caused the problem. The FOAF didn't give me specifics aside from there's not much to do without replacing the transfer case...

Edit: Let me further explain - Began hearing some noise the day after Christmas, and was thinking it was just ice/snow in the wheel well, as often happens up here in Minnesota...found out differently as we needed 4x4 to get out of a parking lot after sledding, but instead, only had rear wheels engaging, and an awesome grinding/whirring noise from up front. Checked out my front differential, it was dry, and I couldn't get the noise to stop, no matter where my 2wd/A4wd/4wd/lo switch was, but could still hear the actuator working...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.