Removing front differential!! - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > 4x4 Drivetrain

4x4 Drivetrain 4x4 Repairs & Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Indigo Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Removing front differential!!

Hi guys, got a problem,i have to remove the oil pan so now Im trying to remove the front Differental on my 02 TB 4x4. I got the passenger side assembly of and pulled out of the oil pan now i cant get the driver side off. How many bolts is it, I took out 4 or 5 of them the ones that i could see. Is there any hidden up there anywhere. WHY can I not pry the damn thing off. PLEASE HELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 09:24 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Indi-GO Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
There are 2 bolts going horizontally from trans to oil pan. Their is also 2 little bolts hiding in the holes circled going Straight up into the block. Their will be some sort of plug in the holes. Mine has rubber wingnut looking things.

Also, on the driver side the 2 lower bolts on the A/C compressor go into the oil pan. Not to mention the 3 little guys up front

Old 03-01-2010, 10:05 PM

thanks but I see those. But what about taking the bolts out of the driver side of the Front Differential. I took out the ones I could see, are there anymore. I know you have to take off the Dif. so you can get to the oil pan bolts.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 PM

trailblazer Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
removal

passenger side is called the splinned disconnect. that is in two pieces. and slides on to the oil pan and bolted on. be careful taking that off and dont break it off in oil pan. you will need to remove both cv axles. the driver side of oil pan is called a carrier. there are a few bolts holding that on to pan. did you get the bolt off were the front drive axle hooks up?

to remove the oil pan, you will need to remove the side bolts and front bolts, oil filter, and the bolts that mount to the trans, remove that rubber spacer thing there are two long bolts there that will also need to be removed, and when you have the oil pan separated from bottom of engine look inside you will see another bolt that is attached to the oil pan and to the bottom of motor, its inside the driver side edge of oil pan, also remove that bolt. on passenger side of pan there are some trans lines that run along the side of the pan they tend to get in the way.

you will need to remove your rack and pinion. put on some gloves son, because you will bust them hands up. tie seatbelt through steering wheel and when under truck locate steer column separate rubber cover and take bolt out, thats were the steering connects to rack. you will also see were your power steering lines connect to the rack there is a plastic cover and under that is a screwing holding lines to rack. take that out to disconnect your lines, get a bucket you will loose some steering fluid.

If you cant get that shaft out of the carrier, you can still drop the oil pan with carrier and shaft going through oil pan. i did it, it can be done, you will probably need a buddy to help you out.

you need any parts?

oh yeah drain the oil !!!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 PM

removal

dont forget the ac bolts
Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by grentz View Post
thanks but I see those. But what about taking the bolts out of the driver side of the Front Differential. I took out the ones I could see, are there anymore. I know you have to take off the Dif. so you can get to the oil pan bolts.
If I remember right, there are 4 big bolts holding the diff to the pan and their are a few more oil pan bolts behind the diff.

Have to removed the 4 diff bolts?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:57 PM

I got the 4 bolts out, I took off the passenger side section, are there any clips or anything on the passenger side after you get the dif off? Do i have to pull the shaft out of the passenger side? Or do I have to take off the drive shaft companion flange to pull the drivers side off? I am really stuck. I took all the bolts out, and pulled and pryed on it and it has not budged. The socket that holds the drive shaft cv shaft thingy is still attached to the dif, does that have to be removed before the dif will come off? HELP!! Thanks
Old 03-07-2010, 12:15 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

If you can take some pics and post them or email them we might be able to see something.

Here's my checklist of what I remember that came out.

First was the 4 bolts for the diff. 2 are in the front of the diff on top of each other. 1 is toward the middle real low. 1 is at the very back of the diff by the u joint.

3 small bolts at front of pan
21 small oil pan bolt from the sides

4 long bolts at rear of pan (horizontal)

2 bolts at rear of pan between pan and trans bell housing (vertival)

2 long bolts thru the A/C pump into the pan

4 long bolts from passanger side axle disconnect and disconnect harness
jackshaft thru oil pan

U joint at front diff from transfer case --- diff bungied out of the way against the frame

right before the pan went back up
Old 03-07-2010, 08:56 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Steel Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Funny the things you learn on this forum. I've never once considered using bungee cords when working on a vehicle but I will probably use them in the future for sure!

To the starting poster if you throw some pics up here people may be able to give you a quick answer.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:51 AM

removal

the passenger side is called splinned disconnect. its in two parts that bolt together and is bolted to oil pan. that part should just slide out, mine didnt, it broke off when i was prying it. but get you a pry bar or something and walk it out of oil pan. there are two bolts above the splinned disconnect that you will need to remove in order to remove the oil pan. same concept on drivers side, walk it out of oil pan with screw driver.

I dropped my oil pan with the the middle shaft still going through to the carrier. because my shaft was seized up in there. remember you have to remove rack. put a seatbelt through steering wheel to hold in place. take bolt off steering nuckle under rubber protective sleeve. and remove the bolts holding rack to frame and lower it.

ps. i know that middle shaft is messing with your mind. I took mine out with carrier unbolted and setting loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.