Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How to replace water pump (pics)

Tags
how to
472K views 365 replies 218 participants last post by  PeayM 
#1 ·
Lots of informative information has been learned from this site. Figured I would contribute.
03 Envoy. 106k. Had Fan clutch replaced once. 2nd Water pump.
Started hearing a grinding in the front. Fan and water pump pulley could be moved around by hand.

Total time 30 Minutes. Didn't drain coolant. Just used a catch pan.

1. Engine bay shot of water pump hidden. Ugh... (LEAVE BELT ON)

2. Remove radiator cap to relieve any pressure.

3. Remove upper radiator hose.

4. Remove both lower transmission lines and 1 of 2 10mm radiator fan shroud bolts.

4. Remove 2nd 10mm radiator fan shroud bolt. Disconnect black clip for fan clutch.

5. Make sure hood is propped up nice and high. I used a pry bar and wedged it. Get an open ended wrench to fit the fan clutch bolt. I used a 1 1/2". (Those specialty tools are junk). Its a little bigger, but all I had. Still worked fine.

6. Make sure the wrench is clear of the 4 water pump pulley bolts and fan.

7. Get a firm grip on the wrench, and take a hammer and smack it 1 good hard time to bust the nut loose. Make sure the hood prop is not up.

8. Spin nut off and press in on fan to lift over the threaded end. Continue to lift upward on the fan and shroud at the same time to remove as 1 unit.

9. You might hit the radiator neck, just press shroud towards engine on passenger side and continue to lift.

10. Once removed, loosen (do not remove) the 4 13mm bolts holding the pulley. (LEAVE BELT ON)

11. Remove belt out of the way, and finish removing bolts from pulley, and remove.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
12. Remove 5 10mm bolts holding water pump to engine. Prepare for coolant spillage.

13. Remove water pump, and clean old gasket material. Install new gasket and water pump.

14. Install 4 bolts back onto water pump pulley hand tight.

15. Install Belt

16. Snug bolts down

17. Start and check for leaks. Now is the time to replace the fan clutch if necessary. Check engine will illuminate until fan clutch is reinstalled.

18. Kids in the backseat watching a movie. Only 20 minutes into it.

19. No leaks, Great!:thumbsup: slide fan shroud and fan back in as 1 unit. Wiggle around the upper neck until it seats back. Press in on the fan until it goes back over the threads of the new water pump, and tighten back down spinning the nut clockwise. Adjust the fan shroud for the proper alignment. MAKE SURE THE 2 LOWER TABS ARE PLACE BACK IN THEIR POSITIONS!

20. Take the hammer back out and give the wrench 3 good smacks back clockwise to tighten nut.

21. Attach 2 10mm bolts back to upper shroud support.
22. Attach 2 transmission lines back to shroud on passenger side.
23. Attach black fan clutch connector on drivers side.
24. Attach upper radiator hose.
25. Start vehicle and let idle. Refill coolant at radiator checking frequently.
26. Put radiator cap back on, and rinse down excess spillage with water.

Total time 30 minutes.

#8 ·
My blackberry works better dirty

can somebody sticky this please.

Step 25, where did u refill coolant, at the resevoir tank or at the cap, by the rad hoses?
Step 26, why did u rinse down with water?

I like the x beam wrench. Good writeup and nice pics. Very useful.
Filled at the radiator. Resivoir didn't go down much.
Rinsed off excess coolant on bottom skid plate.

Great writeup:thumbsup:

step 14 Hand Tight should be in RED

Also why is your fan white?? Just wondering
Done. Camera maybe? Its an off yellow/white color.

#10 ·
This was of a great help! Thank you!
I am replacing my second water pump (New AC Delco part $112 from GM dealer) (Originally replaced by my mechanic with an aftermarket part) and saved a few $$$. I do realize now that my water pump failure is due to my fan clutch / blades. From the first replacement, the fan blades were damaged (dug into the shroud) making the fan oscillating (Not caught by my mechanic). Therefore damaging the water pump bearings. For $200 I got a used fan clutch with fan and shroud. Not installed yet.

#13 ·
Great write-up! I think you're all set for at least the next 12 months in terms of contribution.:thumbsup:

But with rave reviews like this, why wouldn't want to keep on going? Post more how to's. Show it off to your friends that have a hard time finding the gas cap.:)

#14 ·
Clutch fan

I did all the steps to remove the clutch fan and housing as though I were replacing the water pump, but I was just replacing the clutch fan. This is what I found. A frayed wire. Now I dont know if I actually did the fraying while trying to get the wires free of the wire bracket or if the wire was already frayed. But there was electrical tape wrapped around this section of frayed wire. Nonetheless since I did all this work I decided to install the 05 envoy clutch fan on to my 03 envoy just to make sure it works. We'll see. I'm in the middle of it and taking a break.

Wire Auto part Cable

#23 ·
Great Write Up

Very nicely done! When I replaced my water pump and fan clutch, I attempted to loosen the fan clutch nut with a crescent wrench and a large hammer. All I did was spin the engine. I put anti-seize on the new parts. Should GREAT write ups like belong in the articles tab? I think it would be of benefit to start collecting works-of-art like this in a section void of other noise, like this post I am making.
-Dave

#27 ·
Roadie

When you say use a 2005 + clutch fan. Do you mean to use a fan made for a 2005 model or newer or a clutch manufactured after 2005. I changed mine today and used an oem for my 02 Envoy. The last one (I found out) had frayed wires, broken wire at the clutch and the plug was off the clutch. Overall I probably could have repaired these things but I had a new one so I put it on.

#29 ·
Thanks so much dude

Man this post was right on time. I found this site a couple of weeks and neglected to join. Earlier this week my 05 Trailblazer began to run hot. Thinking it was the thermostat I was just gonna replace that, but with expert guidance I've determined my issue to be the water pump. In efforts to save dough, I chose to fix it myself. I got instructions from AZ but they just weren't detailed enough. Man I tell you, live color pics make a hell of a difference. Thanks so much for this posting.

#30 ·
Still running hot/overheating!!!

Help my TB is still overheating. I replaced the water pump and thermostat. Recent suggestions have been to bleed the line of any air, check the heater control valve, and flush the system. I still have no heat when I turn on the heater and I'm hearing a gurgling sound when I turn my truck off. Coolant is overflowing\leaking on the ground from below the reservoir near the rear of the engine. Is that the location of the heater control valve. I really think its clogged. How do I get to it and where is the bleeder valve located?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.