[SOLVED] Envoy Fan Clutch Replacement Photos - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:09 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Envoy Fan Clutch Replacement Photos

This site helped me to fix this problem, so hopefully these photos help the next guy or gal.
Fan Clutch Replacement for a 2003 GMC Envoy:

-Remove the fan shroud bolts.
-Disconnect wiring harness for the fan clutch.
-Remove wiring harness from fan shroud.
-Loosen the 2 trans cooler lines from the fan shroud. Do not disconnect the lines, just move out of the way to allow the fan shroud to move.
-Disconnect the radiator hose above the fan shroud (please make sure that the engine is not hot or else you could get burned). Some say this not necessary, but it makes it easier to move the fan shroud and later to remove the fan clutch.
-I never have the right tools so I had to use a 1-7/16" wrench on the fan clutch nut (the correct size is metric). Also, not having the appropriate tools, I jury rigged a screw driver between the 2 bolt heads on the pully that the fan clutch is connected to. Turn the fan clutch nut counter-clockwise, note that on some other cars or trucks this may be reverse threaded, but on the Envoy it is not. Also note that some people have had a hard time cracking this nut, but others have not.
-Remove the fan bolts, let the fan hang.
-Remove fan clutch by wiggling it through the space between the fan shroud and the radiator (make sure you don't bang the back side of your radiator, it is like playing "Operation")
-Reverse these steps to reinstall.
-This was a really easy job, only took me 45 min. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2010, 11:09 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Sweet pics. Thanks for taking the time to do this, because I now have a reference to look to if and when I have to do the same repair.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:29 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Nice pics with labeled descriptions.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 AM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Carbon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
yes thanks...im sure i could of figured it out but great reference. I will be changing mine out soon cause damn A/C sucks during hot days
Old 06-21-2010, 10:07 AM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
GMC Envoy Fan Clutch Replacement Cost

How much did it cost you to replace it? The dealership is trying to charge me $1000.00
Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Other threads have discussed the parts cost as between $100-250 depending on if you get aftermarket or OEM. For a dealer to try to charge 4-5 hours labor is criminal. For $1000 I'll fly to wherever you are in the country and do it and make money.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Well I'm mad as H**L, a day or two before Memorial Day Weekend I got the Jet Engine Sound ,now I've heard it before at some start ups but after a few sec. it would go away and it might be weeks or months before I would hear it again or it would go away before I got up the street. But this time it stayed and I thought it might be my Trans. because my RPM's rev. so high and it was like it was dragging my truck down. So I took it to a garage where I've had stuff done before and they said it was the Fan Clutch And that it was very expensive so I said I'll just limp through the weekend and check out this Forum about my truck and that's when he said it could cause damage to my engine. So since I needed my truck to go back and forth to the Hospital to be with my wife in ICU because she suffered a stroke I let them work on it to the tune of $1100 and it still roars on and off but a lot more when the AC is on so I took it back to them and told them how they stuck it to me. They got the Clutch Fan down the street at the local stealership for $450 and marked it up to $640 same with the Idler Pulley so you can see why I'm so mad and I have no one to blame but me. This site is the TRUTH .
I hear that your fan should turn freely, before I had the Clutch replaced it was stiff and it still is so how freely should it turn?
Old 06-22-2010, 10:38 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Usually, mechanics pay WHOLESALE for parts at the dealer, and don't tell you they're marking it up to LIST price. Since list is $465, your mechanic has NO JUSTIFICATION to raise the price above that. They should make their money on labor, not inflated parts costs.

Cheaters.

And the lie about it doing damage to your engine. Tell them the Roadie calls them out on that whopper. Name the bastard. Report him to the BBB and the state licensing bureau if he doesn't adjust that overcharge.

A good fan clutch will continue to spin only 2-3 inches when spun by hand. It's not like it will spin 1-2 revolutions. Not sure if that's what you call "stiff".

Wicked sorry about your wife. Best wishes from everybody at trailvoy.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:02 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
THX. Roadie,maybe I'll look in to reporting them to the BBB. like I told them I understand your in this to make money but what you did is just wrong. Even the Stealership would have been $300 cheaper. If I would have just followed my gut and and came home and checked out this forum I could have done it myself for $300 or $350.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:46 PM

2003 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Monterey Maroon Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I second Roadie's wishes... So my fan will spin a couple revolutions by hand does that mean that its useless? engine on it seems to spin just fine likes its doing the job
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.