2003 Trailblazer won't start - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:17 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
2003 Trailblazer won't start

Hello everyone going to start out with a question and hopefully at some point be able to give back to someone. I have a 2003 trailblazer 4.3L. Every so often you go to start it and nothing, no cranking but everything has power and yes it's in park. Without fail you wait 10 mins and fires right up. Also has a remote starter and even when you try to remote start it does the same thing. Also security light comes on sometimes while driving. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
I think the remote start might be a separate issue because I generally don't trust 'em, but you might have a bad starter or starter relay. The most common cause of a failure to start is the flaky ignition switch, but a remote start would bypass that. For $30, I'd try the ignition switch first.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=61278
Old 04-13-2010, 11:28 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
If it wasn't for the remote start, I'd suspect the ignition switch,
but taking the remote in to account, how old is the battery?
Even if it's new, you might want to get it load tested. These
trucks (it's a 4.2L, btw ) are *really* picky about their voltage
and amperage levels.

Also, is it an OEM remote start, or aftermarket? It's possible for
aftermarket wiring/systems to get flaky after working for years. One
of my co-workers has a 95 Mustang...aftermarket remote lock/starter
system. Worked fine for years, then developed a parasitic drain that
killed three batteries before the bad wiring was found.

The 10 minute lag almost sounds like a security feature issue, but
rule out a battery problem before diving in to that.

EDIT: Just saw The Roadie's reply, and yeah, the starter/starter relay
could definitely also be causing the problem.

Good Luck!

Chris
Old 04-13-2010, 02:26 PM

2008 GMC Envoy SLT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Had a similar problem on a previous vehicle. I would sit in there and keep turning the key until it would start. Happened much more frequently the colder it got (which made some of those cold mornings a lil frustrating...). Finally noticed that the security light would be blinking fast when it wouldn't start, and blink normal when it would. That helped me trace it back to a bypass for the security key for the remote start. Turned out to be a corroded connection. Cut and re-did the connection with solder and all was good.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black Granite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I hope I'm not coming off as a thread-hijacker because I am definately not trying to do so, but when I bought my TB, I suppose the previous owner lost the keyless entry remote because that was not included. Seeing remote start in this thread got me wondering if it is possible that my vehicle also has remote start. It's an 04 TB LS with Nav and the Bose system. I am assuming it was one of the top of the line deals at the time. Anyone have any idea?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
No longer with us

2003 GMC Envoy SLT
Magnetic Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by s10on22z View Post
I hope I'm not coming off as a thread-hijacker because I am definately not trying to do so, but when I bought my TB, I suppose the previous owner lost the keyless entry remote because that was not included. Seeing remote start in this thread got me wondering if it is possible that my vehicle also has remote start. It's an 04 TB LS with Nav and the Bose system. I am assuming it was one of the top of the line deals at the time. Anyone have any idea?

Check your glove box door for a AU0 or AU5 code. Those are both remote entry lock RPO codes.

If you look under the Resources link at the top of the page, you can get and compare all the codes from the glove box.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I thought too about just replacing the ignition switch for the lousy 28 bucks. Battery is good, starter and alternator have been replaced like you said I wonder what affect the remote start might have, had worked fine for years. Being that it still won't start sometimes using the remote can you rule out it being a pass key/lock issue since no key is used with remote starting? Have even broke down and brought it to a dealer and as I thought they said can't figure anything out without it having the problem there. Oh yeah replaced starter relay also
Old 04-13-2010, 08:02 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Medium Red Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
You don't need to live with this problem. Replace your ignition switch. If the problem persists, then take it to a GOOD remote installer and have them replace the GM bypass module. Some of them have been known to be flaky.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:11 PM

Thanks again for all the replies everyone. Sounds like a plan to replace ignition switch and then take it back to the remote starter guy if it persists
Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
04 TB LTZ No start w/ full battery power

Yesterday I experienced what others have on this & similiar threads.

Put key in ignition, turned key & no crank to start at all even though battery is providing ample power...all lights, windows, etc work. Turned key off and back to starting position a few more times with the same result. Even put in neutral and tried starting with same result...all chimes, lights, and sounds working properly, but no engine crank at all. Strange since I had not drove the TB for 3 days, just sat in garage.

Drove a different vehicle to work and did some TrailVoy research. Went home for lunch and had Driver door open, turned key, and same result as mentioned above...no start/crank. Then I closed the Driver door, turned key, and FIRED RIGHT UP! Also, started right up this morning as well. Never had this happen before. So...after reading posts similiar to this there seems to be 3 conclusions that are not clear which one would be the right fix for this scenario...

1) Ignition Switch

2) Starter/Starter Relay

3) Security glitch (my security light never blinked out of the ordinary, so I'm ruling that one out)

I'd like to hear feedback on this & what other TrailVoy members have done to solve this issue. I'm leaning towards the Starter/Starter Relay solution. Please share your thoughts/experiences. Thanks!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.