blown 4.2 Engine replacement ?'s - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:20 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
blown 4.2 Engine replacement ?'s

I need some help and advice on what to do about repairing/replacing a blown motor on my 05 TB with 65000 miles. I was towing a trailer home from Pittsburg area up to Erie PA and ran into seemingly serious engine issues. The story: I was towing a 6x12 trailer with a light load and was merging onto the freeway... as I was accelerating, the engine started revving pretty high and didnt want to shift. I let off the gas to lower RPM's, then started accelerating again when I lost power and it started making noise. By the time I got pulled off the road, the motor had shut off. I got out and checked oil only to find it was about 3 quarts low (I hould have checked before leaving home). I bought some oil to top off and tried starting - it will stay running but screams, squeels and knocks like crazy. I had to have it towed home and the mechanic thinks the lower end of the engine is screwed after listening to it - what shoud I do now? Please dont lecture on checking oil/maintenance... I know that I did wrong , I just need to find the best solution to fix this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Western Canada Chapter

2003 TrailBlazer and '09 Kadillak Eskalade __
sExY Dark Gray Metalic 4.2L I6 4X4
Get an engine from a wrecker. Easiest fix as it becomes a modular replacement and you can prolly get one with lower miles.

Let's get a Meet going!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:31 AM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Any advice on what year motors will be a direct fit and which year is best? Ive been looking a bit and it looks like 02-06 are the same motor but the 06 has better power output? I have some mechanical ability - is it a very difficult process to put in a new engine or is it best to pay a mechanic. Is there any way to use the 5.3 instead of the 4.2 and if so is it worth it?
Old 05-16-2010, 07:33 AM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Hello;
New Guy Ringing in here! I am anything but an expert with TB but I do have a lot of automobile knowledge!
My opinion is that if you change the engine for a bigger one, thats when you really got to have changes made to everything! (I HATE COMPUTER CARS) But if you change to the bigger motor, the exhisting computer will not be right for bigger engine, not to mention how much "fun" it will be to get it in and mounted properly.
If I were you, I would opt for the later model engine like yours with more power and make a direct exchange! I bet even this will have a few issues yet to be discovered untill time to "drop it in" and "get it running".
Also I have read from some articles from "inliners" (guys that fool around with straight 6 (or 8) motors) that junk yards have these motors and prices are very reasonable to get one.
Do some homework and look around on the internet to gain knowledge of what it is you want to do!
Thats my 2 cents worth!

Bruces 57
Old 05-16-2010, 07:44 AM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Red Jewel Tintcoat 5.3L V8 4X4
The topic of switching from an older I6 motor to a newer one has been discussed on this forum in the past. I don't have the thread, so you will have to do some searching, but the information is there.

My recollection is that it can be more trouble than it is worth to "upgrade" to the newer I6 motor for your truck. Don't even think about a 5.3L. My advice would be to find an 05 or older motor--it will likely be a direct swap. And a motor shouldn't cost more than about $500. That's about what folks have been paying. You can pay more, but if you look around, you won't have to.

Also, you might want to try and diagnose why your motor was down three quarts. These motors are known for not using even a quart in 10,000 miles, so something was seriously wrong for yours to be down that far before it let go. So, you don't want to be swapping something onto your replacement motor that is causing you to lose or use oil.

Just my .
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarock View Post

Also, you might want to try and diagnose why your motor was down three quarts. These motors are known for not using even a quart in 10,000 miles, so something was seriously wrong for yours to be down that far before it let go. So, you don't want to be swapping something onto your replacement motor that is causing you to lose or use oil.

Just my .
Heres the start of my diagnosing. lol. Can any of you ring in on what to look at for where the oil was going? there never was a drip to be found under the car. I checked the oil maybe a month ago and it was ok (been riding the motorcycle lately and the TB hasnt moved much). I filled oil after it broke down and still have no apparent leaks.
The other thing bugging me is right before it died, the engine was revving to around 5000 RPM and would not shift. Is there a tranny problem too? I looked at the trans fluid after breaking down and it looked decent but I cant check it now that the engine is down - or can I... supposed to check at idle when warm...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Another 'new kid' checking in...

I just replaced my 4.2 not 6 weeks ago... similar towing scenario... similar low oil problem... same end result. My motor had almost 180k on it though and I should have known better than to be towing well over the advised tow rating, but with that many miles I wasn't surprised it might be time for a new motor anyway! I was told the squealing/knocking was due to a spun rod bearing (probably similar to yours w/ your mechanic saying lower end). I did the used engine swap option... found same year motor w/ only 45k miles for just over $500 from a local yard. With labor, odds/ends parts & motor I was into the deal for a bit less than $2k.

Being mechanically inclined myself, I researched doing the swap myself, but in the end didn't have the mojo to pull it off. Rumor has it the swap on the 4.2 is difficult due, at least in part, to the differential bolting to the oil pan and then the front driveshaft running through the pan itself. To support that, my mechanic (and a good friend) had some difficulty not only with all of the front end stuff, but with getting the motor to code correctly once all was said and done... apparently the injectors off the old motor had to be swapped onto the new one in order to get it to run properly!? Anyway, I'm told it takes the Chevy computer - which I did not have - to get to the bottom of things of that nature.

All in all, it worked out for me buying the used motor and having a competent mechanic do the work for me... no I'm not proud of having a hired gun do the dirty work, but 6 weeks later and over 2k miles and the ol' TB is running like a top!

Good luck in whichever avenue you decide to go!!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Just called around to all of our local junkyards and was finding prices on motors from $800 (60 K on motor) to $1300 (7K on motor). Last JY I called has one from an 05 with 81,000 miles and will provide motor and installation for $1200 with 30 day warranty. Seems to good to be true but I think I gotta find out...
Old 05-17-2010, 06:26 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by svscott View Post
Just called around to all of our local junkyards and was finding prices on motors from $800 (60 K on motor) to $1300 (7K on motor). Last JY I called has one from an 05 with 81,000 miles and will provide motor and installation for $1200 with 30 day warranty. Seems to good to be true but I think I gotta find out...

that does sound too good to be true. be wary.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:00 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Hello;
If I am you, I would go to that auction site (EBAY) find one on there. I think the prices are too high in Erie P. I would try some other Jy across the country! Don't forget, someone is always hungrier than others!! With shipping you might get it cheaper yet!
I would never have somebody in a JY do work on my car unless I spoke to some of their previous customers first! Not to say that they can't do a fine job but you really should have a security blanket going into that deal!

Bruces 57
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.