Rear Hatch and Glass won't open - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
Rear Hatch and Glass won't open

Help please.

My glass on the hatch won't open at all. Pushing thre button does nothing. It will not pop like it normally does. Is there anyway to open the glass without taking it to a dealer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 05:12 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Red Jewell/Pewter 2-tone 4.2L I6 4X4
Are you sure the car is unlocked, just to eliminate that problem... It could be the Liftgate Control Module in the liftgate or it could also be a bad locking cylinder. In our TB you have to press the unlock button on the fob 3 times to get the rear window to unlock.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:29 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
It does unlock, it just does nothing pushing it in. It doesnt have any resistence to it, the button just goes in like nothings behind it.

I need the glass to open to remove the rear panel on the inside correct?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:42 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
Hmmm alright. I only want the panel off because both the glass and hatch do not open . The hatch at least opens after unlocking a bunch of times.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutt View Post
It does unlock, it just does nothing pushing it in. It doesnt have any resistence to it, the button just goes in like nothings behind it.
The locking mechanism rotates the actuator that the button hits. If there's no resistance, then my first guess was that the lock is frozen, which you could try to solve by popping off the little cover in the rear panel and WD40'ing the locking mechanism, or maybe forcing it with a screwdriver. If the tailgate opens itself, then the lock is working (at the bottom at least), and the top portion may have bent or broken.

I think you'll have to unscrew the mounting plate for the handle on the window to allow you to open the glass and then pop off the panel to see what's going on.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:32 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Gray (Soon IRD Black) 4.2L I6 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutt View Post
Help please.

My glass on the hatch won't open at all. Pushing thre button does nothing. It will not pop like it normally does. Is there anyway to open the glass without taking it to a dealer?
Mine would do the same thing whenever I was on uneven terrain, or getting to an offroad site. I have no idea what used to make it do that, but it was always after being unlevel. I once opened all the doors, and then slammed them shut; then my liftgate worked.

I have no idea if I fixed it, or how. Hasn't done it since though.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:52 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Mine did the same thing, except I could still open the lift gate. Take the inside plastic panel off the lift gate. It just snaps off, you don't need to open the window to do this. Then use your fob to lock and unlock the doors and watch the lock mechanism to see what its doing. The housing for the button on mine got very corroded over time. That prevented it from snapping back in place, which in turn prevented the window lock from going to the correct position when it was supposed to be unlocked. Its held on with a clip. I took it apart and cleaned it, and stretched out the spring a little bit. It works fine now. I'm not sure what would cause your lift gate not to open, but you may see something when you pop the cover off.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:37 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE
I thought there was something right inside the glass that needed to be taken out before the inside panel could come off?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Funnhy. I stumbled over his situation yestarday and now im having the same exact issue just today, although i can open my tailgate. Kinda makes me chuckle, but ill use the tips in the previous posts to see what went wrong
Old 06-06-2010, 11:38 AM

2002 GMC Envoy SLE
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
WD-40 worked like a charm! Thanks everyone for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.