Engine oil pump problem - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:24 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Engine oil pump problem

Hi, My chevy trailblazer 2002 4.2l, after running about 30 minitues, when idle condition oil pump comes to zero. On acceleration it goes back to normal position. I changed oil 5W 30, fiilter. What could be the reason? Please help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2010, 01:32 PM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Most likely a bad oil pressure switch. In the I6 engine, the dashboard gauge is a lie. The computer creates a number of what it thinks the oil pressure should be, based on temperature and RPM. And then it displays that lie on the instrument panel.

But all it really knows is from a switch that goes on and off at 12 PSI. Switches fail more often than oil pumps.

Pull the switch and get a true oil pressure meter installed into that hole, and make sure the pump is OK. If it is, then just replace the switch. If you don't have the tools to do this, then you really need a mechanic to test the oil pressure. In case the oil pump *is* at fault, you want to know now, before it has a chance to fail on the road and damage the rest of the engine.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:32 PM

2006 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Steel Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
This is a scan of a page out of the 02-07 Haynes trailblazer repair manual. Every time I see these oil pressure threads, I am amazed at the low pressures they can operate.

6 psi? Is that real or a typo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img041.jpg‎
Views:	155
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	12510  
Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM

Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 AWD
sweet i need to repair my truck as well i will pick a switch up this weekend
Old 07-15-2010, 04:14 PM

Black 4.2L I6 2WD
oil pressure

having similar problem but only when towing trailer have replaced sender no help.am towing the trailer this weekend with trans cooler newly installed. have learned that oil sender is metric 16x1.5 thread and Pace Performance sells an adapter to 1/8 thread #ATM2268 did not order yet but that seems to be the only way to adapt to an extra gauge. What do you then do with sender wires??does computer need a reading to allow normal ops??
Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 AM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
I'm glad I found this site! Great wealth of knowledge, I've recently been experiencing this same problem with my 02 Trailblazer. I was prepared to pull the oil pump and replace it until I read this thread. I'll try the sensor, TB clean and spark plugs and hope that clears it up! Thanks again all.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:58 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS EXT
Midnight Blue Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wex View Post
This is a scan of a page out of the 02-07 Haynes trailblazer repair manual. Every time I see these oil pressure threads, I am amazed at the low pressures they can operate.

6 psi? Is that real or a typo?
I saw that too in my manual. Note that isn't even at idle that is at 1000 RPM! Weird. I'm not real familiar with modern GM V8's but I'd agree that seems awfully low. Maybe it should have been 16?
Perhaps someone with a GM service manual can comment.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 AM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Sensor seems to have done the trick! Thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 6.0L LS2 V8 4X4
oil pressure

Im new to this forum thing so can somebody please help? When my thermast reaches halfway my oil pressure dips down to 0 then goes back up to the halfway mark. An it does this back an forth until I turn the car off.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 2WD
my trail blazer is doing the same boucing from almost 0 to 40 back and forth with no noise and when i idle my engine it stays norm but im planing on changing the oil pump just to be safe....... and i already changed the oil pressure switch and no difference but any body got any suggestions before i tare into this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.