Rear A/C line issue - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:44 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Rear A/C line issue

Hi every one. I just spent 240$ at a garage to finally tell me that the rear line is leaking. It is leaking at halfway. I saw the dye. Now, my options are:
1- replace the line
2- cap off the line and only have front A/C. According to a shop, they do that all the time as the rear A/C always have these issues as the lines are not very well protected.

Now, here's what I want to do. I am going to get the rear A/C line capped off as I do not live in the South and the rear can do without A/C. The shop is charging $400 to simply cap 2 lines. It seems really overpriced. I want to remove the lines myself, and get them capped off at a proper shop. It will save me at least $200.

Is there someone who has done the capping off of the rear A/C line and also have pictures and any kinds of a DIY list. A diagram of the full 2006 Envoy XL A/C set-up would also be awesome.

I know this is not the best solution, but I am getting rid of the vehicle in September and I dont want to sink a $1000 in repairs. As long as I have front A/C, I will be happy and most importantly, the wife will be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Sand Beige Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Before you can BEGIN to cap the lines, the entire system must be properly discharged. Then, you can "cap" the lines. After that, and to ensure there is no leakage, you have to pull vacuum on the system for at least an hour. Then, and only then, can the system be recharged. So, you see it is not simply a matter of capping the lines and being good to go.

I agree that $400 sounds a bit steep. Maybe get another estimate from a shop with A/C experience.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Agree with you. I have someone already that will do that for cheap. I am at the stage to either replace the line or cap it off. Thx for the advice though. I still like to see pictures or a diagram.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM

2008 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Silver 5.3L V8 4X4
My dad's envoy had the same problem. We ended up cutting the lines and by passing them. We uses copper lines and flared fittings. My brother works on residential A/Cs and had all the parts. Its been working for several months now.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:08 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
I had the same problem with my extended truck.

Take it to a good ac shop and have them use a repair kit.

My complete repair, including finding the leak, was less than your $240.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:11 PM

2006 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Thx Rayvoy. Here in Halifax so far, I have not had much luck to find a good A/C shop that I seemed to trust. For example, I went to another shop today and told them that I wanted a quote on capping the line. In the end, they charged 1/2 hour of labour for telling me what I already knew. I was livid, but what could I do. They had my truck and I had to pay them. I am a little ticked off at the whole A/C thing. In the end, it will cost over $600 to have a freaking line capped off. What a joke.

Thx. and I will keep calling shops to see if someone can do something for me.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 PM

2002 GMC Envoy SLT
Why pay to have an estimate? There was no reason for them to charge you 1/2 hour labor. Or did you have them rediagnose it?

Frankly, you should fix the rear A/C if you're going to sell it. It's not really fair to cover that up and sell it.

Is it leaking at a joint where there is a fitting, or just in the middle of a line?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
rear AC leak

I am in the same boat.Dealer did a check on system and found major leak on right side high pressure line.Cost me 114$ to confirm my suspicions, ouch.The worst part was that they did not want to tackle fixing it and instead referred me to a local AC shop,thanks alot.I was hoping too that someone had instructions and pictures of how to cap the rear AC.Would be a good STICKY.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 AM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT EXT
Dark Gray Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Rear AC capped

Here is an update to my AC problem.The rear high pressure line had corroded and was leaking.To fix this I had to choose between repair of the rear line($440),or capping off rear system($280).I had the rear lines capped because if the line is corroded and not being replaced I was afraid that I would be dealing with another leak in the future.All the lines are still there and can be reconnected if so desired.
The lines that were capped are under the hood.One is on the drivers side of the engine,it is 3/4 inch in size and splits to run down beside the PCM and towards the back.The other is hidden between the coolant overflow tank and the passenger side fender,it is 3/8 in size.The caps that were used may have been crimped on,I am not sure,but I did not see any sign of solder,braze or welding and did not think to ask,sorry.
Everything is COOL now.I only think I used the rear air maybe three times in the 8 years I have owned this truck,so I dont think I will miss it.FYI dealer wanted $1200 to replace the rear line and did not want to cap or repair it.
With the hot weather upon us,(hit 80 here yesterday) it will be great to be again.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:16 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLE XL
Graystone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Guys,

I got the rear lines capped last week. The shop charged me 210$ to cap the lines and another 140$ for the a/c gas fillup. Apparently the lines only are 600$ plus the time to replace them plus plus plus. So I decided to go with the cheapest solution.

If this info can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.