2002 Trailblazer Shifter Problem (Started on the EDGE OF A RAILROAD TRACK!!) - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 Vortec 4.2L I-6 Engine and Drivetrain > OEM Issues

OEM Issues Original Equipment Repairs and/or Problems

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Onyx Black & Pewter 4.2L I6 2WD
Question 2002 Trailblazer Shifter Problem (Started on the EDGE OF A RAILROAD TRACK!!)

Hey All!
In the past I have successfully fixed problems with my 2002 Trailblazer from help on this forum and I'm rolling the dice on another issue. Last time we were able to change out the fan clutch motor and saved my pocket about $900 - $1100! Before that the CD player, before that we cleaned my butterfly valve which was causing hesitation, and we even changed my spark plugs. I didn't ask for help Everytime but I did it with help from threads on here. So I will listen closely and I am capable even though I have to take it slow. This time I have a new problem and need to actually ask for help instead of just reading prior instruction. Please help. I'm a financially broke disabled vet and this was my present to myself from Iraq after being injured during an ambush. Let's keep her going at 180,000 Miles!! =]

Okay, Here's the problem and what happened:

I stopped at a Railroad crossing as the barriers dropped and it looked like a slow moving, long train so I put the truck in park and let my foot off the pedal. When the train passed I put my foot on the brake and shifted into the drive position. It shifted almost too smoothly and only went into neutral. There wasn't the normal stops and clicks that it should have made. It didn't feel right anyway so I shifted into park. I tried to shift it back into drive after shutting the TB off and restarting it. The shifter wouldn't budge but I noticed it was still in neutral. The shifter stayed in the park position but since the instrument panel indicated it was actually in neutral (and it was) I pushed it off the road in the rain and busy highway full of angry drivers who apparently were trying to spray me with muddy road water. I had it towed home and it's sitting out front still in neutral with the shifter fully forward in park. Anyone know what this could be? I don't have the cash to get it fixed so I must do it myself. Ideas anyone? I figure it might be a linkage, cable, or something like that but I'm not sure and don't know how to check it. Thanks-a-million!!!

Sincerely, Joshua

P.S. Good thing I didn't have trouble ON the busy track . That could have been bad news Charlie Brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 09:08 AM
No longer with us

2004 GMC Envoy SLT "Roadiemobile"
Extreme Offroad Pewter 4.2L I6 4X4
Typically the cable breaks or comes unclipped at the side of the tranny. It should be obvious when you get down there to look. I hardly ever hear of a break at the console end.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Will check that Today

As soon as it quits raining and lightning. It's been raining pretty much solid through the night. You've got to love Florida summer rains. I will check the side of the tran out to see if I see a cable hanging or something like that.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:24 PM

Problem Found

Well, I lifted 'er up and found that it was exactly what you thought it was roadie. The linkage fell off. My bushing was dry rotted or cracked and it allowed my cable to just fall off as i tried to shift. Then I guess a safety mechanism kicked in and it allowed me to shift it into park even though the transmission remained in neutral. Looks like I waited around for a tow truck for something i could have crawled underneath and fixed I put the linkage back on the shifter rod this morning and when I pressed the brake it allowed me to shift into gear and I drove around the block. She ran great. Now... I went to buy the bushing and Chevrolet said they only sell the entire linkage, not just the bushing.

I read on another thread that you can buy generic bushings at AZ or DAP. Is this true?

Anyway, we did it again now just need to find a bushing to slip on there to replace my duct tape.

If I missed an appropriate smiley-con (Smiley Icon) Let me know and I'll put it in.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 PM
No longer with us

2002 Locked Up Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ - Black w/
Herculiner and Rock Rash 4.2L I6 4X4
This thread reminds me... I haven't checked my linkage for damage in awhile.

Would suck to lose the ability to shift into and out of gear out on a trail.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 PM

Still Hunting a Bushing

Anyone have a good site where I can buy a shifter linkage bushing? That little rubber piece that holds the cable to the shifting rod that sticks out of the transmission. I still have it held on by tape and what's left of the old bushing. I've looked everywhere I could think of.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:39 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLE XUV
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Sounds like a bit of bad luck with timing and location there. Glad it was an easy repair. It probably wouldn't hurt to visit AZ or such to see if you can order your bushing.

Best of luck and thanks for your service.

Aerodynamics is for those who cannot manufacture good engines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2002 trailblazer, neutral, stuck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.