6 disc changer error - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > General TrailVoy Discussion > Audio and Electronics

Audio and Electronics Discuss car audio, video, navigation, alarms, and other electronics here.

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
6 disc changer error

I did some searching on google and found a thread here in the archive but seeing as it was posted in 06 I didn't know if anything new has come about. The problem lies as follows. Today I took my trailblazer in to get the stepper motors replaced ( speedometer was acting up ). When I get back in it and drive off I try to turn my cd player on. This is also not the bose player. I get the error "player error" and the head unit switches back to the FM station I was on. All the cds in the 6 disc changer are burned discs ( memorx cd-r ). Now should this have anything to do with the dash being taken apart for the stepper motors being replaced, or did the factory head unit just bite the dust and should I just replace with an aftermarket head unit. I'd also like to know if it comes to replacing it, could somebody be so kind to point me in the right direction to one that will work with the steering wheel controls. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2010, 09:33 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
Strange that it happened right after they had it.
Occasionally they 'reset' and work again if you pull the radio fuse for a few minutes.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Black 4.2L I6 4X4
6 disc changer error

I have a 2003 Trailblazer and my CD player stopped and gave me the same error! I have been using it exclusively for several years now by listening to Audio books that I borrow from the library. I was listening to one on Monday, went to change to the next disc and got the "Player error" as it switched to the radio. I will try pulling my fuse and see if it resets it. But, if not, I'm with hcteks_1g and need some recommendations for replacing it. I like listening to the radio but I miss my books. If pulling the fuse does not fix it how hard will it be to get the library's cd out of the player?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM

2003 Chevy TrailBlazer LT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I pulled the fuse, turned on the TB and let it idle for about 30 seconds before shutting it off and putting the fuse back in. Once the display on the head unit showed there were six discs in the changer, I pushed the CD/AUX button and I still got the player error message. Maybe I'll pull the fuse and let it idle for a longer time to maybe see if that will do, my guess is it won't help it. I might disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and let it all reset. Maybe that will do the trick, if not looks like I'll be getting a new head unit
Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM

2004 GMC Envoy SLT
Liquid Silver Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
To me sounds like the laser died. If none of the discs work. Do some more research, but just in case you need it, I have a 6 disc changer bose radio I could sell.
Let me know.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:51 PM

2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LTZ
Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Question Same Boat - no paddles

Have '02 with standard 6 Disc CD changer. Was working perfectly, 'then' would not load CDs, crunching noises, whirring sounds, etc... just as several in this thread and others have mentioned. Fuse 'fix' was not... now won't load or unload or play.

HOW easy is it to remove the changer - assume (but set me straight if I'm wrong) that the 'dash assembly' has to be removed???

I'm figuring something is jammed, will see but ANYONE with information on 'how to remove' the changer, please feel free to advise.

Many thanks!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 PM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black Other AWD
Here's how to remove the dash faceplate, so you can get to the HU: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=6459

<att
Old 11-15-2010, 02:34 PM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Exclamation Thanks

Thank you mwfaith1971...

I note that there are "two" graphics at the link - the top looks very easy and the "faceplate" seems like that is ALL we are removing. HOWEVER the Trailblazer is not listed with that graphic but instead is below showing the "whole" dash removal for access to the unit. IS that correct?

Many thanks!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM
TrailVoy Alumni

Black Other AWD
Yes, it's correct. The TB is a PITA compared to the Envoy. Don't know why they did it that way...but it's GM engineers at their best.

Matt
Old 11-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Summit White 4.2L I6 4X4
Smile Scheduled...

Thanks Matt,
I've got it scheduled for my Saturday work... heheheh. Grocery hauler strikes again.
Aside from the trans going last year, the exhaust manifold gasket going early this year, and all the squeaks and moans from the chassis... it isn't a bad auto. However it was costly early on and we'd not buy a 'new model' vehicle ever again (thought I 'know' that but "Honey, I want it" overruled).

Now the dash comes out.. heheh. Take care!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.