Low volume growling from front end - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Welcome Enthusiast! If you already own a Chevy TrailBlazer or GMC Envoy or perhaps thinking of purchasing such a vehicle, then you have come to the best TrailBlazer and Envoy site on the net! Rainier, Bravada, Ascender, and 9-7x owners welcome too!

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to search and post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Join Today!
Go Back   Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum > 2002 - 2009 TrailBlazer/Envoy Tech > 02-09 General Tech Q&A > General

General If it doesn't fit in any other forum

TrailVoy.com is the premier GMC Envoy Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:04 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Question Low volume growling from front end

Just noticed a low growl from the front end (I think). Low volume growl while straight and slightly louder on right turns, goes away on left turns.
My experience tells me right wheel bearing...agree?

I am going to get the tires balanced and an alignment first...I noticed a vibration after my last tire rotation 2 weeks ago and my steering wheel is ever so slightly tilted to the right as well.

05 TB with 55k miles. Can a shade tree mechanic accomplish this job without multiple Napa trips and beer runs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
TrailVoy Guru

2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ
Black 5.3L V8 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejeeper View Post
Just noticed a low growl from the front end (I think). Low volume growl while straight and slightly louder on right turns, goes away on left turns.
My experience tells me right wheel bearing...agree?

?
Usually when the load shifts to the bad bearing, it complains.
Therefore, if it was the right bearing, the load gets transferred right when we make a left turn (weight always moves to the outside).
However, I had to change the right last fall. Like yours, it got louder when I turned right.

I have the left one (it might be a tire) complaining now, it gets louder on a left turn.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:11 PM

2004 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD
Sounds like a wheel bearing. Problem is, (and i experienced this), sometimes they both go but one "covers up" for the other one. So you'll replace one but still have the noise and it may even be louder; this was the case in mine. So be ready to replace both. Either way, theres a write-up on this site about how to replace the wheel bearing. You can definitely do it yourself, takes about an hour. Its even easier if youre RWD.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM

2005 GMC Envoy SLT
Forest Green Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
sounds like a wheel bearing assembly to me.....if it's loud when you turn right, then it's the right one.....mine was the left.....and it's starting to whine again with another 50k on it.......grrrrrr....gotta throw the cash at these trucks, but they are nice while they aren't begging for new parts.....
Old 09-02-2010, 04:47 PM

2005 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Silverstone Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
Thanks guys..oh and now I can add the blower resistor pack to the list...my #5 and #1 fan setting decided to quit yesterday!

Atleast that doesn't require jackstands!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 PM

2007 Chevy TrailBlazer LS
Graphite Metallic 4.2L I6 4X4
I also have a growling sound

Last week, I noticed a low volume growling sound coming from the front of my 2007 Trailblazer. My wife says she can't hear it but I drive the vehicle everyday and recognize the sound as different (not tire noise). The growling increases with wheel speed, not RPMs. There doesn't seem to be a difference in the sound when I turn the wheels. It is most noticeable around 40 MPH and coasting, before tire noise drowns it out.

My Trailblazer has 80,000 miles and is 4WD.

I'm thinking maybe the front differential rather than wheel bearings?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM

2009 Chevy Malibu
Red Jewel Tintcoat Other 2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck23796 View Post
Last week, I noticed a low volume growling sound coming from the front of my 2007 Trailblazer. My wife says she can't hear it but I drive the vehicle everyday and recognize the sound as different (not tire noise). The growling increases with wheel speed, not RPMs. There doesn't seem to be a difference in the sound when I turn the wheels. It is most noticeable around 40 MPH and coasting, before tire noise drowns it out.

My Trailblazer has 80,000 miles and is 4WD.

I'm thinking maybe the front differential rather than wheel bearings?
Hello,

I do apologize that you are having problems. I see that your vehicle only has 80,000 miles and is a 2007. Sounds like it could be a powertrain warranty issue. If you would like me to verify that it is under warranty that way you can have the dealership take care of it, please let me know.

Geoff Allen
GM Customer Service
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum forums, you must first register.

Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
(Only letters, numbers, dashes and underscores are permitted for user names)
The user name that you choose is permanent and can never be changed.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.